ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #2266
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
My 2010 990 Adv has slightly changed its state of tune over the last 5000 miles. At 3000 rpm and 6-8% throttle I'd get an occasional surging (about 35mph). It got worse over the last 6 months or so. I thought it was the on-going Adaptation tweaking the tune. I've tweaked the tune a lot and had it totally nailed down at one time.

Yesterday I replaced the chain at 18k miles. I inspected it after cutting it off and there was a stretched spot over a one foot area. This made the chain hop and rattle more.

On the first ride, I noticed that the surging was mostly gone. I think the stretched spot in the chain made a change in the engine loading at the natural frequency that created the surging. The throttle is sensitive at that point and the squishy pink monkey holding the bars doesn't help either.

Funny how such a small thing will change the state of tune.
Very interesting. Putting on a new chain at 23,000 miles.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #2267
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Joining late to the party.

Bike is a 07 EU model, Wings exhaust w/medium silent inserts. A few years ago I tried the Akra map but I couldn't live with terrible mpg so went back to stock (now I've learned 07-08 akra maps has 02 sensors disabled) Removed 2nd butterflies in an attempt of getting rid of jerky throttle. Didn't work so I put em back.

While reading through this thread I changed my mind several times.
First I was tempted to download 2011 fuel map figures since they seem to run very smoothly. Looking at how different the fuel curves are I disregarded that, and I'm not brave enough to even think about copying ignition tables.
I know close to nothing about tuning engines but what I've learned is adding fuel and retarding the timing is -usually- safe so I started from that since it seems there isn't lots of maps available for 07-08 bikes.

What I did: an exact average of a STD and AKRA map. Made it in excel and then modified the stock F and L tables cell by cell (unemployed right now, so I have time)
2nd butterflies opening progressively from 0 to 10 in the lower left corner (where values were 0 before). Don't know if this makes sense or if I should have tried going to 15 or 20 directly, it just seemed right to me making them open progressively. Thoughts?
If someone wants to take a look at this map just pm me.

Being a FI noob I felt like a hero when bike started, idle, and run. A 150 highway miles test at 80mph average and 41 mpg makes me think I didn't f*cked up the fuel consumption, firstly I wanted to know the range and now I'll see how it behaves in the real world (traffic, secondary roads and off road)

Trying to change one thing at a time so timing will wait, I just don't know what to do except retarding a bit the big spike at 3.500 rpm but still I would like to know what you guys think about it.

Jaime

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #2268
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
Joining late to the party.

Bike is a 07 EU model, Wings exhaust w/medium silent inserts. A few years ago I tried the Akra map but I couldn't live with terrible mpg so went back to stock (now I've learned 07-08 akra maps has 02 sensors disabled) Removed 2nd butterflies in an attempt of getting rid of jerky throttle. Didn't work so I put em back.

While reading through this thread I changed my mind several times.
First I was tempted to download 2011 fuel map figures since they seem to run very smoothly. Looking at how different the fuel curves are I disregarded that, and I'm not brave enough to even think about copying ignition tables.
I know close to nothing about tuning engines but what I've learned is adding fuel and retarding the timing is -usually- safe so I started from that since it seems there isn't lots of maps available for 07-08 bikes.

What I did: an exact average of a STD and AKRA map. Made it in excel and then modified the stock F and L tables cell by cell (unemployed right now, so I have time)
2nd butterflies opening progressively from 0 to 10 in the lower left corner (where values were 0 before). Don't know if this makes sense or if I should have tried going to 15 or 20 directly, it just seemed right to me making them open progressively. Thoughts?
If someone wants to take a look at this map just pm me.

Being a FI noob I felt like a hero when bike started, idle, and run. A 150 highway miles test at 80mph average and 41 mpg makes me think I didn't f*cked up the fuel consumption, firstly I wanted to know the range and now I'll see how it behaves in the real world (traffic, secondary roads and off road)

Trying to change one thing at a time so timing will wait, I just don't know what to do except retarding a bit the big spike at 3.500 rpm but still I would like to know what you guys think about it.

Jaime
Your on the right track. One thing at a time. Retarding the timing will effect MPG. I only retard at 0-3% TPS to effect that notchy throttle thing. Is there a problem at 3,500 on your bike(don't have time to look thru the thread to see if you have posted) or you just want to smooth it? 3,500-4,200 is were I get my killer mpg and I have never changed the timing in that area.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #2269
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
Your on the right track. One thing at a time. Retarding the timing will effect MPG. I only retard at 0-3% TPS to effect that notchy throttle thing. Is there a problem at 3,500 on your bike(don't have time to look thru the thread to see if you have posted) or you just want to smooth it? 3,500-4,200 is were I get my killer mpg and I have never changed the timing in that area.
Thanks mate.
Not a real problem but as you said I want to smooth it at those revs. You did it by retarding the timing at 0-3% TPS, I may give it a try.

I took a look at the low octane ignition curve, timing seems a bit retarded compared to stock in that area -3,500- so once I tested the current map it would be as easy as disconnecting the LO cable under the seat and see how it runs.
But I don't know if it makes sense. Damn, it's a steep learning curve!

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Old 07-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #2270
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Thanks mate.
Not a real problem but as you said I want to smooth it at those revs. You did it by retarding the timing at 0-3% TPS, I may give it a try.

I took a look at the low octane ignition curve, timing seems a bit retarded compared to stock in that area -3,500- so once I tested the current map it would be as easy as disconnecting the LO cable under the seat and see how it runs.
But I don't know if it makes sense. Damn, it's a steep learning curve!
Low octane would be a good test but be sure to only pay attention to the exact area of the map. Do you have your throttle tube marked so you know exactly what TPS your at?
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #2271
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Low octane would be a good test but be sure to only pay attention to the exact area of the map.
Will do, thanks.

Quote:
Do you have your throttle tube marked so you know exactly what TPS your at?
I'll work on that -saw your post about it- as soon as I get back to the bike, have to adjust throttle cables first. Also need to adjust the transmission chain, too much slack makes the on-off feeling worse.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Old 07-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #2272
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Will do, thanks.

I'll work on that -saw your post about it- as soon as I get back to the bike, have to adjust throttle cables first. Also need to adjust the transmission chain, too much slack makes the on-off feeling worse.
Try stock map, after market exhaust, open the intake, cpr ect.
decat, get TB adjusted and you should be good for 40 mph.

I flew 12,000 miles with that cable.

Also add a little fish oil or ride up to Idaho with Martin and I'll get them
right.

Hey Goti, free beers if you can tell me where my avatar is located.

Max
Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #2273
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Try stock map, after market exhaust, open the intake, cpr ect.
decat, get TB adjusted and you should be good for 40 mph.

I flew 12,000 miles with that cable.

Also add a little fish oil or ride up to Idaho with Martin and I'll get them
right.

Hey Goti, free beers if you can tell me where my avatar is located.

Max

Hey Max! Going to Idaho sounds easier than learning about this stuff! I could even meet some Basque people there, they could fix the FI. With hammers.
Not looking for great mpg (not the main goal at least) but to smooth the throttle a bit. I still need to test what I did and try not to modify lots of things at the same time.
Again, thanks for bringing the cable down here.

Oh, it's the monument to moto messengers located ... well, I don't know where it is, so Martyn will have to pay for the beers
Say hi to Bonnie, mate.

Jaime

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #2274
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,425
Anyone have this running with windows 8? My tuneecu laptop is dead....

Thanks!

Sa
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #2275
Reese
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
Anyone have this running with windows 8? My tuneecu laptop is dead....

Thanks!

Sa
Runs on my 32-bit Windows 8 with no driver install required.
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #2276
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
Runs on my 32-bit Windows 8 with no driver install required.
Same here. No issue on 64bit. Connected right away.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #2277
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,425
Cool. Thanks for the w8 info. That simplifies things a lot.

Sa
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #2278
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Got my cable in from CJ a month or so ago. Downloaded TuneECU and drivers. Hooked it all up and connected, got a green light, ser no and all. But did'nt down load or change anything.

Now I'm ready to do some experimenting, but can't connect. No green light, and after a bit it times out.

Any ideas?? Do I have to download the drivers again??

Win 7
Old 07-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #2279
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
Got my cable in from CJ a month or so ago. Downloaded TuneECU and drivers. Hooked it all up and connected, got a green light, ser no and all. But did'nt down load or change anything.

Now I'm ready to do some experimenting, but can't connect. No green light, and after a bit it times out.

Any ideas?? Do I have to download the drivers again??

Win 7
I've made sure I'm disconnected from the Internet. Should a light on the ODBII connector be on? Not one on. But I put a test lite to the plug on the bike end. And I have power to the top connection on the double side.

Anything else??
Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #2280
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

So, I've done everything I can think of to connect to the bike.

Bear in mind, when I first got the cable a few weeks ago, connected right up, green light and ser no read.

Bike is a 07 S Adventure, CJ's cable, Win 7 notebook.

I've re installed TuneECU, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, tried several diff drivers. Downloaded something that read my USB device and recognized it. Tried serial port, USB port, Com1 thru 4, VCR (?) on and off, tried connecting every conciveable variation of key on, hook up, etc that I can think of.

Got power to 1 connection of the bikes plug, still power to the next connection.
Checked and read every thread that is out there.

But I still must be missing one little thing and its fustrating as can be, especially since I've already connected once before.

Any ideas??