ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #2416
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
You guys can buy me a beer when we meet
Or 2, thanks for the effort and sharing the tune. Truly an OC'er at heart.
La Familia and all that stuff.

Max
Old 10-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #2417
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
I received the CJ Designs Tune ECU cable today. So I thought I'd test it out. Again, here is my setup:

Apple MacBook Pro
OS X 10.7.5
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit running on Parallels 7
Tune ECU 2.5.4

Success! I haven't installed the Rottweiler filter kit yet so I didn't load a map for that. I am running the Uni foam air filter in the stock airbox and Leo Vince carbon dual exhaust.

I loaded this map: KM601EU1180232Map.hex

This is apparently the KTM 990 Adventure R 2011 Akrapovic map.

I was a bit worried at first. I plugged everything in, turned on the ignition, and Tune ECU connected perfectly. Then I loaded the map and clicked "download" under the "ECU" menu. Then Tune ECU kinda locked up!! The only way out was to force quit ("stop process" for you Windows lovers out there) the Tune ECU program. I then turned off the bike, closed and re-opened the Tune ECU program, then turned on the ignition again, then connected and clicked "download" again. This time I saw the green light flicker and the green status bar moving. Then I got the "Download Complete" pop up. It seemed to have worked. However, I am concerned about two things:

1) When I clicked "download" the little rectangle light flickered red for a split second before it started blinking green and loading the map onto the bike. Is that ok?

2) The first time when the Tune ECU program locked up during the "download" process.... could've that screwed anything up permanently? Is it ok now ya think?

Sorry for my whiny/worrisome post here. I've just never done anything like this before and am worried that I screwed up the bike. I mean, after I loaded the Akra map successfully it started up perfectly, idles great, and runs smoother than it ever has. Power delivery is smoother across the RPM range. And some of that twitchy throttle response at lower RPM's is lessened.

Anyway, ya think my bike's ok?

Thanks.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #2418
turdfergeson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I installed the 2.08.30_64bit driver installed fine on my Windows8 laptop.
- The file I downloaded is CDM20830_64bit_WHQL_Certified.zip
- I extracted the contents of the .zip file into a directory on my desktop
- It extracts CDM 2 08 30 Release Info.rtf, CDM v2.08.30 WHQL Certified.exe & CDM v2.08.30 WHQL Certified.zip
- Hold the Shift key and right click the CDM v2.08.30 WHQL Certified.exe and click "Run as administrator"
- Click Next at the install window and then click finish. Done

For the O2 sensors on my '13 990 ADV I left them physically installed and just disabled them with TuneECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
quick question guys...

i'm about ready to instal a CPR filter, do the canisterectomy and SAS, and have a few questions about my computer.

i'm going to buy a new laptop with windows 8 and wonder if i need to follow the old directions for loading the drivers for the tuneECU cable or if the new windows will be ok?

if i need to load the driver, is there an easy step by step somewhere? i read the tuneECU site and it looks pretty involved. i like easy personally.

also, what are you guys doing for your o2 sensors? i know most disable them but are you removing them and plugging the hole or just leaving them in?

thanks,

laramie
Old 10-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #2419
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
I was a bit worried at first. I plugged everything in, turned on the ignition, and Tune ECU connected perfectly. Then I loaded the map and clicked "download" under the "ECU" menu. Then Tune ECU kinda locked up!! The only way out was to force quit ("stop process" for you Windows lovers out there) the Tune ECU program. I then turned off the bike, closed and re-opened the Tune ECU program, then turned on the ignition again, then connected and clicked "download" again. This time I saw the green light flicker and the green status bar moving. Then I got the "Download Complete" pop up. It seemed to have worked. However, I am concerned about two things:
I always keep my bike on a charger while running TuneECU and have not had the problem you experienced. Also, my bike has the Euro light and switch so I can easily do the mapping with no lights draining the power system. Some people pull the light fuse.

Quote:

1) When I clicked "download" the little rectangle light flickered red for a split second before it started blinking green and loading the map onto the bike. Is that ok?

2) The first time when the Tune ECU program locked up during the "download" process.... could've that screwed anything up permanently? Is it ok now ya think?

Sorry for my whiny/worrisome post here. I've just never done anything like this before and am worried that I screwed up the bike. I mean, after I loaded the Akra map successfully it started up perfectly, idles great, and runs smoother than it ever has. Power delivery is smoother across the RPM range. And some of that twitchy throttle response at lower RPM's is lessened.

Anyway, ya think my bike's ok?

Thanks.
Could have been a power issue. You should not see the red light. You should also hear the ECU do a fuel pump prime and injector nozzle pulse after loading a map. I always do a reset adaptation and then the 15 minute idle after loading a map, other wise there may be idle issues.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #2420
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
I always keep my bike on a charger while running TuneECU and have not had the problem you experienced. Also, my bike has the Euro light and switch so I can easily do the mapping with no lights draining the power system. Some people pull the light fuse.

Could have been a power issue. You should not see the red light. You should also hear the ECU do a fuel pump prime and injector nozzle pulse after loading a map. I always do a reset adaptation and then the 15 minute idle after loading a map, other wise there may be idle issues.
Thanks for the reply. Even though I saw the rectangular light in Tune ECU flicker red for a split second it started flickering green and continued to flicker green while the status bar starting moving, and then when then status bar completed at 100% the "download complete" pop up came up, then I heard the fuel pump prime and injector nozzle pulse you mentioned. Think it's ok?

The bike seems to idle and run great.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #2421
up2nogood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
If it runs fine, I'd say you dodged a bullet.

Anyone know if this map would work on a 2011 built 990 Adv?

http://www.tuneecu.com/Tunes_in_Hex_...90advWINGS.zip

If that link doesn't work, it's the 2:1 zorst with spark arrestor.
I'm using stock aircleaner with SAS removed. Otherwise same.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #2422
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 534
Does anyone have extra cables that they would like to sell?
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #2423
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Even though I saw the rectangular light in Tune ECU flicker red for a split second it started flickering green and continued to flicker green while the status bar starting moving, and then when then status bar completed at 100% the "download complete" pop up came up, then I heard the fuel pump prime and injector nozzle pulse you mentioned. Think it's ok?

All sounds normal (except for the red) and TuneECU overcame what ever communication difficulty it encountered. The proof is in the way the bike runs. I think it's neat the way we can tune our bikes without leaving a gas smell on our hands.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #2424
striped tomato
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Just chasing a bit of advice.

I used TuneECU yesterday for the first time and updated the map in my 2011 990 from the factory Akra map to the one I downloaded from Rottweiler.

When I read the map back from my ECU all the F/L/I tables etc have been updated but it appears the map ID number and the map info still states it is the 2011 Akra map. How do I get the ECU to update the info about the map too so that I can tell which map is in there without studying the fuel tables?

Cheers

Steve
Old 10-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #2425
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:

Mine will do the same every D/L
Old 10-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #2426
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Don't disable the O2 sensors unless you don't care about mileage. These come into play only during light throttle cruse. The Akro Maps with the O2 turned back on are a good starting point for a map with decent mileage.

If you turn them off, pull them off. If you leave them in without power, the O2 sensors will soon be trashed.
Why is that? i understand that there is a heater for them but, it surely can't be in use while the bike is up to temp.

I have been turning mine on and off for years now.. just trying to understand...

I know they still work because i turned them back on for a map i have been running and tweaking for several thousand miles and picked up about 4 miles per gallon on my last 3 tanks full... So your statement on fuel range was a proven for me, i was a bit skeptical.
The throttle response seems more sensitive or quicker with them on, but still with this map it is very smooth with no hunting or flat spots.
One thing i did notice was my fan kicking in a bit more and actually going to 5 bars while still moving all be it in 1st gear on a cool day, which it didn't seem to do the 02s off.

I am running the stock map for my bike with changes to the F/L Switch, ignition and 3% more fuel on the F map down low, and no secondary butterflies. My last MPGs check i was at 44.5 with dirt wheel setup and 17 - 45 sprockets.
So if i would put on the street wheels with the 42 tooth and ride tarmac i bet i could see another 2 to 4 MPGs.

I am pretty friggin happy with how this bike runs, so Thanks to the TuneECU guys and everyone who has offered up there knowledge info and findings.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #2427
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Thanks for the replies guys. I've downloaded 2 different maps to the bike now. Both times the little rectangular light in Tune ECU flickers red for a split second, then flickers green for the rest of the download. After the download hits 100% I get the download complete pop up and I hear the fuel pump prime and injectors test themselves. Bike runs great. I'm just going to bank on that since Tune ECU says download complete and I hear the bike test itself afterwards, ans that since the bike runs great that all is well!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #2428
xTomKx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Why is that? i understand that there is a heater for them but, it surely can't be in use while the bike is up to temp.

I have been turning mine on and off for years now.. just trying to understand...

I know they still work because i turned them back on for a map i have been running and tweaking for several thousand miles and picked up about 4 miles per gallon on my last 3 tanks full... So your statement on fuel range was a proven for me, i was a bit skeptical.
The throttle response seems more sensitive or quicker with them on, but still with this map it is very smooth with no hunting or flat spots.
One thing i did notice was my fan kicking in a bit more and actually going to 5 bars while still moving all be it in 1st gear on a cool day, which it didn't seem to do the 02s off.

I am running the stock map for my bike with changes to the F/L Switch, ignition and 3% more fuel on the F map down low, and no secondary butterflies. My last MPGs check i was at 44.5 with dirt wheel setup and 17 - 45 sprockets.
So if i would put on the street wheels with the 42 tooth and ride tarmac i bet i could see another 2 to 4 MPGs.

I am pretty friggin happy with how this bike runs, so Thanks to the TuneECU guys and everyone who has offered up there knowledge info and findings.
From my car tuning days, when the o2's are turned off in the computer it does not necessarily mean the heating elements are turned off. This would have to be verified on a schematic. If anybody has a ecu and wiring schematics for the 990 this could be easily verified.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #2429
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
Does anyone have extra cables that they would like to sell?
not that hard to do yourself and much cheaper than buying one. LINK

just a thought...

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #2430
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTomKx View Post
From my car tuning days, when the o2's are turned off in the computer it does not necessarily mean the heating elements are turned off. This would have to be verified on a schematic. If anybody has a ecu and wiring schematics for the 990 this could be easily verified.
Wire diagrams... over my paygrade. I can find them in the bottom right of the picture, but after that it makes me dizzy.