ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #2431
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Why is that? i understand that there is a heater for them but, it surely can't be in use while the bike is up to temp.
From the automotive side,The heaters are used to bring the up the 02s to temp quicker and therefore closed loop operation to meet emissions standards can be achieved quicker.Once the exhaust heats up and is able to keep the 02 at operating temps the heaters turn off (in stages on some vehicles)and only come back on if the 02 switching slows down.

Most cars now days have a goal set of about 30 seconds to reach closed loop operation.
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #2432
wakked1
Aspiring Itinerant

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Why is that? i understand that there is a heater for them but, it surely can't be in use while the bike is up to temp.

I have been turning mine on and off for years now.. just trying to understand...

I know they still work because i turned them back on for a map i have been running and tweaking for several thousand miles and picked up about 4 miles per gallon on my last 3 tanks full... So your statement on fuel range was a proven for me, i was a bit skeptical.
The throttle response seems more sensitive or quicker with them on, but still with this map it is very smooth with no hunting or flat spots.
One thing i did notice was my fan kicking in a bit more and actually going to 5 bars while still moving all be it in 1st gear on a cool day, which it didn't seem to do the 02s off.

I am running the stock map for my bike with changes to the F/L Switch, ignition and 3% more fuel on the F map down low, and no secondary butterflies. My last MPGs check i was at 44.5 with dirt wheel setup and 17 - 45 sprockets.
So if i would put on the street wheels with the 42 tooth and ride tarmac i bet i could see another 2 to 4 MPGs.

I am pretty friggin happy with how this bike runs, so Thanks to the TuneECU guys and everyone who has offered up there knowledge info and findings.
Hey Dusty, is this map posted somewhere? I'd love to check it out. Also, for what year?

ADV 990, TE610/SM, MULTISTRADA PP
wakked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #2433
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
The map i made is for my 07... Dual arkaprovic with DB killers in, stock air no pre filter, no secondary flies and full ectomies.
It isn't far from stock, biggest changes are the F/L switch and ignition.

This map was made by seatopants... no dyno... still a work in progress, but the best map I've had on this bike yet.. PM me with an email add. and you can take a look at it, if you load it its at your own risk!

Looking at getting this multi function gauge and wideband hooked up this winter to get a better handle on things, and possibly a data logger later.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #2434
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Mapping info please

Map question???

Can you use any (year wise) 990 FI map on my 2012?? I see several maps but show different years.

I have a 2012 990 with Sporting Wood airfilter, Leo slip-ons (Dual), SAS removed, Canister removed.

Thanks inmates...,

Smitty
2013 Yamaha FJR1300...2010 BMW F800GS..
1999 Yamaha YZ250.. 2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM
smitty141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #2435
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
The 2007-2008 bikes have a different head and some other differences so don't use those. Anything 2009 and up will work on your bike.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #2436
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco3738 View Post
The 2007-2008 bikes have a different head and some other differences so don't use those. Anything 2009 and up will work on your bike.

Thanks Bronco...

Smitty
Old 10-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #2437
Decepticon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
TuneECU Noobster

Hi guys,

I just receveid today my data cable from Powercell.

My situation is that I use my bike as a daily commuter 16 weeks each semester, from february to june and august to november, the rest of the time I want to ride off road.

I need a map with a good fuel consumption feature, Currently she´s is doing 48 km (30 mi) per gallon in highway and 43 km max (27 mi) in city.

When I purchased it, she did 60km (38 mi) per gallon but I had to took to to an authorized service due to a misconfiguration of TPS or stepper motor.

I am getting poor and poor because I ride (1250+ mi) 2000+ km per month and I know she can do more mileage.

Thanks for the help

A lot of bad things have been said about me, all of them are true
Decepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #2438
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
I've been searching a ton and can't find anything definitive - I'm hoping folks can help fill me in!

So I'm doing a canisterectomy on my 07 990 adv and also have and am very familiar with tuneecu.

I've unchecked SAI and EPC. I've simply unplugged both the SAS pump at the back of the airbox and the evap pump at the front.

I'm seeing a purge valve open circuit error code.

So I'd hoped and it had been suggested in various threads that resistors wouldn't be needed if using tuneecu.

Is anyone actually running w/ canisterectomy and sas removed, no resistors, and no error codes?

Also, the 'SAI' in tuneecu - does this refer to the air injection into the exhaust or to the evap into the intake manifold?
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #2439
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Loaded my first map, along with a bunch other stuff. SAS, canister, air filter, new map.. And like magic.. The beast RUNS!!!

I did turn off the SAS, but also added 2 22K resistors. No FI light on my ride....

Smitty

smitty141 screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 06:14 PM
Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #2440
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGibbons View Post
I've been searching a ton and can't find anything definitive - I'm hoping folks can help fill me in!

So I'm doing a canisterectomy on my 07 990 adv and also have and am very familiar with tuneecu.

I've unchecked SAI and EPC. I've simply unplugged both the SAS pump at the back of the airbox and the evap pump at the front.

So I'd hoped and it had been suggested in various threads that resistors wouldn't be needed if using tuneecu.

Is anyone actually running w/ canisterectomy and sas removed, no resistors, and no error codes?

Also, the 'SAI' in tuneecu - does this refer to the air injection into the exhaust or to the evap into the intake manifold?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post
Loaded my first map, along with a bunch other stuff. SAS, canister, air filter, new map.. And like magic.. The beast RUNS!!!

I did turn off the SAS, but also added 2 22K resistors. No FI light on my ride....

Smitty
No resistors needed fuel injected 990's when you uncheck "SAI" in Tune ECU. Unchecking "SAI" tells the bike's ECU to ignore the SAS pump and canister pump.

The resistor thing is for poeple who don't have Tune ECU and can't tell the ECU to ignore the SAS pump and canister pump.

If you see an error code after unchecking "SAI" then it's something else going on.

I have a 2012 990 Adv R. I have removed both the SAS pump and canister pump. In Tune ECU I unchecked "SAI". I have no FI lights and the bike runs great.

I have not checked for error codes in Tune ECU but even if there is one I'm not seeing or feeling any issues when riding the bike.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #2441
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,425
You DID clear the codes, right? It's not a real-time system; you've gotta clear the code after you uncheck SAI and load themap.

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #2442
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Yeah I cleared the codes but the purge valve code kept popping up. Then when I plugged the pump back in the code went away.

Hmm so is this an '07-08 FI thing? Sounds like The Griz's 2012 doesn't have any issues once SAI is disabled.

Seems a little fishy - any ideas as to why I would see the code despite having the SAI unchecked in TuneECU? FWIW I have the SAS pump unplugged and no error code there, only the evap seems to give me an issue...

I've just plugged the pump back in (no hoses attached) for now - I could put a resister across it but it sure would be nice to fix in TuneECU for sure
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #2443
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post

Smitty

I already had the 22K resistors made up, and was not planning on remapping. After deciding on a airfilter change and other mods, I was to the point where a mapping change was a must. I just left them in place, but have un-check SAI in TuneEcu.

Smitty
Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #2444
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,425
Ok, staying with the obvious here and no slight intended.

Did you reload the map after unchecking SAI? Gotta do that...

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #2445
OverdeBars
Moto Explorer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGibbons View Post

I had a similar issue on my 2007. For some reason checking off sai in tune ecu would only allow the system to ignore the sas purge valve and not the evap canister purge valve. I ended up putting the resistor in the canister valve and all is well. I'm not sure if it's a 2007-2008 thing or not, but I know the electronics for the injection system are different between these years.
OverdeBars is offline   Reply With Quote