Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #2446
jeffjones
"offroad shit"

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverdeBars View Post
I had a similar issue on my 2007. For some reason checking off sai in tune ecu would only allow the system to ignore the sas purge valve and not the evap canister purge valve. I ended up putting the resistor in the canister valve and all is well. I'm not sure if it's a 2007-2008 thing or not, but I know the electronics for the injection system are different between these years.
going to be doing sas removal soon on my 07, could you point me in the direction of what is needed for the resistor just incase I get the same codes.
jeffjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #2447
OverdeBars
Moto Explorer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGibbons View Post
I've been searching a ton and can't find anything definitive - I'm hoping folks can help fill me in!

So I'm doing a canisterectomy on my 07 990 adv and also have and am very familiar with tuneecu.

I've unchecked SAI and EPC. I've simply unplugged both the SAS pump at the back of the airbox and the evap pump at the front.

I'm seeing a purge valve open circuit error code.

So I'd hoped and it had been suggested in various threads that resistors wouldn't be needed if using tuneecu.

Is anyone actually running w/ canisterectomy and sas removed, no resistors, and no error codes?

Also, the 'SAI' in tuneecu - does this refer to the air injection into the exhaust or to the evap into the intake manifold?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
going to be doing sas removal soon on my 07, could you point me in the direction of what is needed for the resistor just incase I get the same codes.
All the information you need, including step by step instructions, can be found in the oc hall of wisdom under the orange garage / emissions. Here's the link:

http://ktm950.info/how/Orange%20Gara...equipment.html
OverdeBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #2448
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverdeBars View Post
I had a similar issue on my 2007. For some reason checking off sai in tune ecu would only allow the system to ignore the sas purge valve and not the evap canister purge valve. I ended up putting the resistor in the canister valve and all is well. I'm not sure if it's a 2007-2008 thing or not, but I know the electronics for the injection system are different between these years.
Hey I just wanted to report back - I have gotten things to work correctly w/o resistors. I had a chance to fiddle around a bit more.

When I initially disabled the SAI I had already removed the pump, then plugged into tuneecu, and loaded a map with the SAI unchecked. So there was a error code already, which I cleared, but it would pop right back up.

So what I did this time, is plugged in the pump, cleared the code, then loaded a map in TuneECU with SAI unchecked. The key difference being that there was no error condition at the time the map was loaded. Once I disconnected TuneECU I turned off the bike, removed the air pump, then restarted and no FI light.

So anyway, it's working for me - thanks to all for nudging me to go back and try again :)
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #2449
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 454
OBD Cable

Finally managed to connect to the ecu. The hard part ended up being getting an OBD to USB cable with the right chip: FTDI FT232RL.

The first cable I got was a "OBD2 409.1 KKL USB Car Diagnostic Cable Scan Tool Interface for AUDI VW" as referenced but it has a HL-320 chip or something that does NOT work with TuneECU and similar software.

Saved the map on the ECU and it was the KM601AK0704501Map.hex that worked OK with the Akra's on the bike. However it had SAI enabled, which surprised me since the bike has had the ectomies done, and the O2 sensors disabled. Shouldn't it have been the other way around, O2 enabled and SAI disabled? MPG was pretty poor, by the way.

Anyway I downloaded the "KM601US0704501Map.hex" ~ "KTM 990 Adventure 07-08 model years with standard exhaust US only" with SAI and EPC disabled but left the rest enabled. Reset the adaptations, let it sit for 15 minutes, and clicked my heels three times for good measure.

My 07 now has a Wings 2-into-1 exhaust so I looked at the following map: "Power-TrippKTM990advWINGS.hex" ~ "KTM 990 Adventure 09-10 model years With 2-1 Wings slip-on exhaust - with spark arrestor baffle. BMC air filter." I can see it's marked for the 09-10 year, but does anyone know if/how it would work on my 07?
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #2450
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
I can see it's marked for the 09-10 year, but does anyone know if/how it would work on my 07?
It will but will need to be tweaked. Copy the tables from Powertripps file (except for I = Ignition) into a mapfile that is know to be used on 07-08 990's. Then you can download it to the 07-08 ECU.

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #2451
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
It will but will need to be tweaked. Copy the tables from Powertripps file (except for I = Ignition) into a mapfile that is know to be used on 07-08 990's. Then you can download it to the 07-08 ECU.
I've done this on two '07-'08 990's
Both had all the ectomies done, Rottweiler filters.
One with dual Leo's ans the other with Remus 2 to 1

After about 5,000 miles they are both running fine.
I used the F L and F/L switching tables.

Max
Old 10-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #2452
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
That's your 950 SE right ?
IIRC we only started the resistor deal with the
990 FI bikes.

Check out the H.O.W. (thanks CP )

Max
Old 10-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #2453
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
I've done this on two '07-'08 990's
Both had all the ectomies done, Rottweiler filters.
One with dual Leo's ans the other with Remus 2 to 1

After about 5,000 miles they are both running fine.
I used the F L and F/L switching tables.

Max
Thanks for the replies, I'll give it a shot.
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #2454
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
I just converted my 2007 950 SE to fuel injection and I was finally able to ride it off road last night. Of course I hit the single track

Anyway, I have a 2007 Super Duke ECU and it currently has the Akro map loaded and I've turned off the SAS and O2 correction. I don't have both bungs welded in or the sensors but it's running pretty good. The power difference is pretty amazing, shocking actually. My question is, do you guys find that all the Akro maps are overly rich? She seems to be running pretty fat, even with a wide open exhaust and the CPR filter set up. Obviously, the O2 correction will adjust to a certain respect but the base map seems pretty rich regardless. Any thoughts?

Not sure why anyone would dick around with FCR's, the FI was far easier and cheaper. The throttle crispness is excellent and it fires up effortlessly.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #2455
Loui€
Rides With Reindeer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvert View Post
i've done this on two '07-'08 990's
both had all the ectomies done, rottweiler filters.
One with dual leo's ans the other with remus 2 to 1

after about 5,000 miles they are both running fine.
I used the f l and f/l switching tables.

Max
Hi.

* any difference between 2 Leos vs. 1 remus with that map?
(I'll have 2 Leos...; might change the airfilter too, so it would be the same setup...)

* milage?

I did earlier this 'copy-paste thing' to my stock setup (fuels from stock '11), and it worked so ~ so, but after serious testing (some 40000 kms...) I returned back to original, which works OK with 0,5 to 1 liter better milage (44 mpg) and has no idling rising to 2500 - 3000 rpms in every start up...

L
Old 10-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #2456
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loui€ View Post
Hi.

* any difference between 2 Leos vs. 1 remus with that map?
(I'll have 2 Leos...; might change the airfilter too, so it would be the same setup...)

* milage?

I did earlier this 'copy-paste thing' to my stock setup (fuels from stock '11), and it worked so ~ so, but after serious testing (some 40000 kms...) I returned back to original, which works OK with 0,5 to 1 liter better milage (44 mpg) and has no idling rising to 2500 - 3000 rpms in every start up...

L
Both run similar, good power through out the rev range, nice throttle
response, no flat spots.

40 mpg more or less.

Did you only copy the fuel tables ?
Try the L tables and the F/L switches.

Of course the best way to get the map dialed is to get Tahoeacer
or some other brilliant tuner to work their magic.

But my bike run fine.

Max
Old 10-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #2457
Loui€
Rides With Reindeer

thanks!

yes, I did copy all fuel related stuff earlier, but I feel that different ignition in '08 <-> '09 systems makes difference in fuel consumption economics, too, so milage will suffer a bit....

too bad for me to be living on different continent than Tahoeacer....

anyway, it is great to know that mapping is safe to use, and I won't kill my KTM with lean fueling!

so, looking forward to testing, I let you know the results when I get things done, might be next spring time though, winter is coming here soon...

L
Old 10-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #2458
Loui€
Rides With Reindeer

hi.

made the map, waiting for parts (leos and foam filter)...

* 2nd flies, did you copy those, too, from PowerTripp, or remove them completely?

* wings or akra version of PowerTripp? they are slightly different, 2-1 baffles with arrestors vs. 2-2 'open' can? since they
are kind of 'criss-cross' for my setup (2-2 + arrestors)...

L

Loui€ screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 05:27 AM
Loui€ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #2459
jeffjones
"offroad shit"

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
That's your 950 SE right ?
IIRC we only started the resistor deal with the
990 FI bikes.

Check out the H.O.W. (thanks CP )

Max
990 here.. ( I did install resistors on both as long as I was in there anyways. no FI light )

07 990 S with Leo's,4501 map. Ran like crap 3-4K and 4-5K would surge sometimes also. And the throttle twitch was bad. Didn't help that it only had 2100 miles on it and sat alot

I tried the 07-08 2S01 map and didn't get to much better.

So.. Installed G2 Throttle 400 cam, ITG Filter setup, removed SAS and Canister, Cleaned TB's and Injectors. Then re-installed 2S01 Map with addition of SAI disabled. Runs 10X better still appears on the rich side, but thats better then lean.. Will be going to tune it properly on a dynojet dyno fairly soon.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #2460
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,325
well that was easy. i had my self all worked up about the re-mapping things and it turned out to be very easy. my home made cable worked perfectly, didn't have to fuck with loading drivers, connected right up, saved the old map, loaded the new map, heard the fuel pump prime, and presto, it was done. all in all about a 10 min job. now i gotta get some gas to put in the tanks, do a 15 min idle set, then take it for a spin!

cant wait to see what this rottweiler is all about!

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote