ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #2461
Bearcat263
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bearcat263's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Wichita.Ks
Oddometer: 109
Well this may not be the place to ask this question but going to anyway. been reading on this tuning thing, the 15 min. or new tunes with a computer, my question to someone that's smarter than i am is, did the sas and canisrectamy. removed all the smog stuff went to wings exhaust still running the stockish air filter it's a K&N filter did the 15min idle after all was put back together still getting in the 38-42 range on fuel mileage do I need to do new tunes or run it like it is, the thing just runs and runs well.

Thanks Mike
__________________
A bad day of hunting, fishing, or riding sure beats a good day of work.
2000 ZRX1100
2008 KLR650 sold
2012 KTM990
Bearcat263 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #2462
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer
 
Gustavo.Ramos's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Accross the pond
Oddometer: 698
Does it pop severely on decel? If not, carry on

38-42 mpg is quite nice
__________________
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional!

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #2463
Bearcat263
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bearcat263's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Wichita.Ks
Oddometer: 109
no it doesn't pop on decel. so i guess just keep riding it
__________________
A bad day of hunting, fishing, or riding sure beats a good day of work.
2000 ZRX1100
2008 KLR650 sold
2012 KTM990
Bearcat263 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #2464
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,789
You're probably ok but borderline if not slightly lean. The combination of the higher flowing K&N air filter, SAS and canister removal, and higher flowing exhaust come together to add more air to the mixture. The 15 minute idle can't handle that extreme of a change. I'd recommend getting the Tune ECU cable and installing the Akra map for starters.
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #2465
jeffjones
"offroad shit"
 
jeffjones's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Bahama
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat263 View Post
Well this may not be the place to ask this question but going to anyway. been reading on this tuning thing, the 15 min. or new tunes with a computer, my question to someone that's smarter than i am is, did the sas and canisrectamy. removed all the smog stuff went to wings exhaust still running the stockish air filter it's a K&N filter did the 15min idle after all was put back together still getting in the 38-42 range on fuel mileage do I need to do new tunes or run it like it is, the thing just runs and runs well.

Thanks Mike

If you don't have ability to check the AFR on a dyno you can always remove the spark plugs and have a good idea of whether its to lean or not.
google spark plug reading for images of what to look for and colors that tell the story.. Better to take the time to find out if its lean or not before melting a piston down.
Decel popping is only and indication that the closed throttle range is to lean, and isn't an indication that say the cruising rpm at 10% throttle is lean and that's where engine damage could happen.

With tunecu you can take a working map that is showing on the plugs to be a little on the lean side and increase the fuel percentage for the entire map and both cylinders just to be on the safer side until you can dyno check it under load runs.
__________________
Blah
jeffjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #2466
two trackin fool
Scott
 
two trackin fool's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan's Thumb
Oddometer: 1,177
Android Tablet ?

Is anyone using a Android Tablet to run these programs on their bike ? I have been looking at past pages but no mention that I found .
I thought that I had read some using their phone but I don't even see that post now .

Thanks in advance !
__________________
Stay Patient and Trust your Journey
two trackin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #2467
Mleaky
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mleaky's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sunny Arizona
Oddometer: 206
Any suggestions for an '07 Adventure with stock intake, FMF Q4ti's? I installed the Akro map via tune ecu, but still have a lot of decel popping, a flat spot around 4600-4700 rpms and low RPM jerkiness.
__________________
2007 KTM 990 ADV
Mleaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #2468
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleaky View Post
Any suggestions for an '07 Adventure with stock intake, FMF Q4ti's? I installed the Akro map via tune ecu, but still have a lot of decel popping, a flat spot around 4600-4700 rpms and low RPM jerkiness.
I've got an '07 myself...leo vince with spark arrestors and stock air box. On the stock map the plugs looked OK, but it would definitely pop a lot on decel (so I believe the O2's kept the AFR in a decent range at cruise)

I tried the akro map in the past with really heavy fuel consumption and the bike would occasionally cut out if I chopped the throttle.

However I just removed SAS and canister, and tried the Akro map again, except with O2's enabled. Surprising to me it's actually running pretty decent (no popping for once!) and my fuel range has varied from 34 in dirt to 40 on road. Low RPM is quite smooth but I do still have a very faint flat spot in the same range you mention.

I'd resisted doing the sas and canister for a long time but it really is running much better. Also, enabling the O2s on the Akro map might be worth a try...

On a side note, I actually left the canister in place and am venting the tanks through it. However I removed the pump and replaced the hoses into the intake with some longer hoses that run up under the glove box and are used for TB synchronization. I think I got a much better TB sync using a simple home made manometer hooked up to my new hoses than by using the MAP sensor readings in TuneECU.

Now that I've got it running nice, I'm planning to screw it back up with a new intake!

BigTony screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 07:18 PM
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #2469
Mleaky
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mleaky's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sunny Arizona
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGibbons View Post
I've got an '07 myself...leo vince with spark arrestors and stock air box. On the stock map the plugs looked OK, but it would definitely pop a lot on decel (so I believe the O2's kept the AFR in a decent range at cruise)

I tried the akro map in the past with really heavy fuel consumption and the bike would occasionally cut out if I chopped the throttle.

However I just removed SAS and canister, and tried the Akro map again, except with O2's enabled. Surprising to me it's actually running pretty decent (no popping for once!) and my fuel range has varied from 34 in dirt to 40 on road.

I'd resisted doing the sas and canister for a long time but it really is running much better. Also, enabling the O2s on the Akro map might be worth a try...

Now that I've got it running nice, I'm planning to screw it back up with a new intake!
I should have noted that I turned the O2's on, on the Akro map.
__________________
2007 KTM 990 ADV
Mleaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #2470
jeffjones
"offroad shit"
 
jeffjones's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Bahama
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleaky View Post
Any suggestions for an '07 Adventure with stock intake, FMF Q4ti's? I installed the Akro map via tune ecu, but still have a lot of decel popping, a flat spot around 4600-4700 rpms and low RPM jerkiness.
Same shit here (except leo's).. I even played around with the maps by hand and I could only get it a little better without going to a dyno to see where the AFR's where..
BUT, after removing the canister and SAS crap (with install of aftermarket intake) it runs great on the akro ktm map..
I'd bet if you just did the canister and SAS removal it would run better..
__________________
Blah
jeffjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #2471
Critic
More or less!
 
Critic's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
Oddometer: 1,233
I bought a DynoJet Commander III for 07-08 KTM 990 ($4XX); then turned around a bought a Baja. So, I have a Power Commander III for sale @ $180. PM me, if interested. So far, he Baja has been a great experience with no popping, smooth throttle, stronger pull, and 42-43 mpg. Plus, I got a deal that I couldn't pass up.
__________________
It is always something! Rosann Rosanadana!
Moto's: 300xcw,500exc,990Baja
past:BigBear250,T100cs,Savage250s,TS185,DT175,GT550,TY250,XR200/350/250,R75/7,Ft500,RD350,YZ125,KDX175,SP500,K1000rs,DR250,883,S1,ST2,KLX650,KE100,GS1000,Monster,Vstr om1000&650,950adv,625sxc,250SSherpa,530exc,990adv, 690e

Critic screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 06:08 AM
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #2472
ADVill
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: West Tn, USA
Oddometer: 577
Can someone recommend a flash for a completely stock '08 990 to help eliminated off idle snatch?
Thanks....
__________________
'08 990 Adventure Orange of course
'00 520 EXC
'14 500 XCW
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #2473
gefr
Life is a trip
 
gefr's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: East Med, Greece
Oddometer: 3,721
I had a rare high idle last year.

I am running the ITG air filter with a customized map. Wings are installed with small outlets. Idle used to hang at 2500 or 4000 from time to time, not too often. I checked TPS today and was at 0.78 . I adjusted it at 0.55 and idle would hang at 5500. Adjusted it at 0.67 and was hanging at 4500 for a while, settling later at 1500. When I turned the throttle, it would climb to 4500 again. Finally adjusted it at 0.62 and it settled at 1500, then TPS moved to 0.59. The bike was at fan operating temperature 107C.
Now it seems to idle at 2000 for a short time before settling at 1500. I will keep it this way for a while...
I would like to ask if adjustments should be done on a cold bike? or while fan is running?
Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 12:56 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #2474
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
I am running the ITG air filter with a customized map. Wings are installed with small outlets. Idle used to hang at 2500 or 4000 from time to time, not too often. I checked TPS today and was at 0.78 . I adjusted it at 0.55 and idle would hang at 5500. Adjusted it at 0.67 and was hanging at 4500 for a while, settling later at 1500. When I turned the throttle, it would climb to 4500 again. Finally adjusted it at 0.62 and it settled at 1500, then TPS moved to 0.59. The bike was at fun operating temperature 107C.
Now it seems to idle at 2000 for a short time before settling at 1500. I will keep it this way for a while...
I would like to ask if adjustments should be done on a cold bike? or fan running hot?
Cheers.
TPS is always adjusted with a warm bike (15 min ride or so).
Engine OFF but ignition ON.
The baseline is 0.60v when set properly (warm).
__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #2475
Loui€
Rides With Reindeer
 
Loui€'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: PoroWaara
Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
TPS is always adjusted with a warm bike (15 min ride or so).
Engine OFF but ignition ON.
The baseline is 0.60v when set properly (warm).
yes, this is true, 0,60V warm engine ('working temperature').

anyway, I have a feeling (eg. 2011 fueling copy-pasted to 2008 map), that these adjusted maps we use/make do have tendency to affect to idling speeds somehow (don't know if really, and/or why), rising them to 2000-2500 rpm for while before setling back to 1500...

ITG foam filter -system may alter the ambient temp sensor operation comparing to stock box behavior, too. (don't know for sure, just guessing)

time will show, still testing ITG, leo vinces and mapping... and snow is coming soon - maybe tomorrow...

L
__________________
2008 KTM 990 ADV

Loui€ screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 09:52 AM
Loui€ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014