Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #2521
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
After my recent laptop shitting the bed, and loosing everything... I had saved my bone stock 2012 990 standard map. Not sure if I would ever need it again..but....

Does anyone have the stock factory map they can send me. Just would like to have for reference if needed.

2012 model factory stock only please..

Thanks Smitty
2009 Yamaha WR250R...1999 YZ250
smitty141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #2522
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post
After my recent laptop shitting the bed, and loosing everything... I had saved my bone stock 2012 990 standard map. Not sure if I would ever need it again..but....

Does anyone have the stock factory map they can send me. Just would like to have for reference if needed.

2012 model factory stock only please..

Thanks Smitty
If it's a US bike with stock exhaust
here is the download link for 2011-2012 990 STANDARD

http://www.tuneecu.com/Tunes_in_Hex_...1102001Map.zip

Here is the link for the 990R
http://www.tuneecu.com/Tunes_in_Hex_...1102002Map.zip
Old 12-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #2523
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
If it's a US bike with stock exhaust
here is the download link for 2011-2012 990 STANDARD

http://www.tuneecu.com/Tunes_in_Hex_...1102001Map.zip

Here is the link for the 990R
http://www.tuneecu.com/Tunes_in_Hex_...1102002Map.zip
Thanks, I was thinking those where it on Tune Ecu site but was not sure. I was thinking somewhere I seen the 2012 standard had the factory "R" map..

Thanks. Smitty
Old 12-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #2524
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Thanks, I was thinking those where it on Tune Ecu site but was not sure. I was thinking somewhere I seen the 2012 standard had the factory "R" map..

Thanks. Smitty
Yep, you can load the R map on the standard
Enjoy the power gain!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #2525
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Yep, you can load the R map on the standard
Enjoy the power gain!
I have played with mapping for some time. I have all the crap removed, and have a SportingWood air filter setup.

This is fun/aggravating stuff....

Smitty
Old 12-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #2526
xTomKx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
My 2012 had the R map on it from the get go. If you need it pm me your email addy and I'll send it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #2527
maxinux
KiLR

Oddometer: 39
Quote:

Thanks. Smitty
That's what I was sold (I was debating between dealer demos of 2011 dakar @160 milesand 2012 blue @20miles.. Paid 500 bux more for the newer bike!)! I can pull the map from my bike and send it your way though if you haven't just used the R map at this point.
maxinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #2528
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinux View Post
That's what I was sold (I was debating between dealer demos of 2011 dakar @160 milesand 2012 blue @20miles.. Paid 500 bux more for the newer bike!)! I can pull the map from my bike and send it your way though if you haven't just used the R map at this point.
Thanks for the offer Max, but I have the file I was looking for. xTomKx sent the hex file from his bike. All is good for now..

Smitty
Old 12-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #2529
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Anmd how do I do that my good man?
I basically computor illiterate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themastermike View Post
Pull up katoom map, which will switch graphics.

BAAM

Sent using Telepathy
Old 12-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #2530
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
Anmd how do I do that my good man?
I basically computor illiterate.
Either open a ktm map or plug the tuneecu to the bike and hit connect!

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #2531
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 349
Eek New to me 2008, have a few questions to set up initial maps

So, this may be a long winded question, but I want to give y'all the info up front to frame the question(s) itself.

I bought a 2008 990A from a Ducati dealer, knowing that only a farkin' moron would trade in a KTM on a Duc. If he had any brains, he would buy a Duc for hooning on the street and get the 990 running sweet for the dirt. But, he was a monkeyfighting moron.

I knew I was in for it when the left side Gobi had a broken off latch and would have flown off into some soccer mom's windshield on the highway
within 20 miles, and I had almost 1K to go to get home. The dealer wasn't event embarrassed when I asked where the nearest O'Reilly's was so I could buy a strap to keep from killing anyone on my way home. Asshats.

I've since removed all of the P.O.'s dangerous accessory wiring (WTF is a fuse for anyways? Just extra weight.) Adjusted the valves, installed a
Rottweiler, changed the fuel filter, changed the oil, adjusted throttle cables and TBs, and downloaded the supposedly dyno tuned map from the ECU.

The Duc delaer told me that the P.O. had made them promise to dyno tune the bike because it didn't run right, stalling itself to dead and with a snatchy throttle response. Well, it has never died on me, but the snatchy throttle is alive and well. Turns out that the bastage of a Duc dealer either lied to me, or their dyno tuner lied to them. From my perspective, there is little difference. Luckily I trust deities and documented evidence a little, neither of which vouched for the state of this bike, so I had to check it all out.

The tune that I found on the bikes ECU was labelled as a 2006, but was actually the 2007/8 OEM Akra map set, with the O2 turned off, but more
interestingly,

wait . . . for . . . it . . .

all the F-L switch settings were set to zero. That's it. That was the only map edit. Wow, heckuva custom dyno-tune. Hmmnnnn . . . . who's feeding me a line? if that's what they call dyno-tuned, what else is screwed up? Farkin Beevis heads, that's what they are. I still have a couple of things to go through, but I think I have fixed all the really risky things. Luckily this bike only had 9K on the odo! Who knows what it would have been like in another 10K.

After my valve adjust, I adjusted the throttle cable and TBs, loaded the CPR Rottweiler 2 into 1 Akra map, and reset adaptation. This map set should be a bit lean as I have two Akra cans with those token little decibel reducing tubes in the ends. Chris suggested that this map might be a bit lean on it's own. Twin Akras should still expel burnt gasses better than a single Akra, so I might be a bit too lean for safety. It runs very well, threatens to toss me off the back of the seat if I am not careful, and even better yet, the O2 sensors both switch voltage between off and on. Good sign.

So, here's my two part question:
1) I'm looking for better F-L settings than the ones that the OEM Akra map have, but am a bit unsure of what those values really mean, so guidance
would be greatly appreciated. Right now, with about 1.5 miles on the revised bike, lets just say that the motor rewards a very smooth right wrist, and the higher the rpms, the better it treats me. I have only ridden it 1.5 miles though. I don't know if setting the F-L values lower than the stock map will help, or hurt, but many of the maps have those F-L values set very low, or even to zero especially at most higher throttle positions.

2) I am planning to paste the PowerTrip F maps onto my CPR maps since the PowerTrip F-map values are mostly a bit richer, before I take this out on the road much. I don't think this will hurt anything, since very rarely do his maps drop below the CPR maps. I'll try the 15 minute idle routine once I get a map installed that I plan to take to a tuner.

3) Yeah, I just thought of a third question. Too bad, please answer anyways. Anyone know of or have experience with any dyno tuners in the SF Bay Area that have dyno tuned and mapped a KTM 990 with a Rottweiler or other aftermarket high flow air intake? It would be kewl if he used TuneECU, but that is a MUCH lower priority. I can just save and work with whatever they come up with if they use PC or whatever.
Primarily, I would like to start with maps in the ECU to be reasonably close to decent so that the dyno tuning dood has a good starting point. The further away from optimal that the bike starts, the further away from optimal the tuning session will probably end, or so I assume. I am not going to be racing, ever. I don't even want the best fuel mileage. I just want the bike to run well, and reliably, with decent gas mileage, and without burning a hole in the top of either piston or plugging itself up with carbon soot.

Thanks in advance for any assistance y'all can provide.
Jonathan

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #2532
xTomKx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMongo View Post
So, this may be a long winded question, but I want to give y'all the info up front to frame the question(s) itself.

I bought a 2008 990A from a Ducati dealer, knowing that only a farkin' moron would trade in a KTM on a Duc. If he had any brains, he would buy a Duc for hooning on the street and get the 990 running sweet for the dirt. But, he was a monkeyfighting moron.

I knew I was in for it when the left side Gobi had a broken off latch and would have flown off into some soccer mom's windshield on the highway
within 20 miles, and I had almost 1K to go to get home. The dealer wasn't event embarrassed when I asked where the nearest O'Reilly's was so I could buy a strap to keep from killing anyone on my way home. Asshats.

I've since removed all of the P.O.'s dangerous accessory wiring (WTF is a fuse for anyways? Just extra weight.) Adjusted the valves, installed a
Rottweiler, changed the fuel filter, changed the oil, adjusted throttle cables and TBs, and downloaded the supposedly dyno tuned map from the ECU.

The Duc delaer told me that the P.O. had made them promise to dyno tune the bike because it didn't run right, stalling itself to dead and with a snatchy throttle response. Well, it has never died on me, but the snatchy throttle is alive and well. Turns out that the bastage of a Duc dealer either lied to me, or their dyno tuner lied to them. From my perspective, there is little difference. Luckily I trust deities and documented evidence a little, neither of which vouched for the state of this bike, so I had to check it all out.

The tune that I found on the bikes ECU was labelled as a 2006, but was actually the 2007/8 OEM Akra map set, with the O2 turned off, but more
interestingly,

wait . . . for . . . it . . .

all the F-L switch settings were set to zero. That's it. That was the only map edit. Wow, heckuva custom dyno-tune. Hmmnnnn . . . . who's feeding me a line? if that's what they call dyno-tuned, what else is screwed up? Farkin Beevis heads, that's what they are. I still have a couple of things to go through, but I think I have fixed all the really risky things. Luckily this bike only had 9K on the odo! Who knows what it would have been like in another 10K.

After my valve adjust, I adjusted the throttle cable and TBs, loaded the CPR Rottweiler 2 into 1 Akra map, and reset adaptation. This map set should be a bit lean as I have two Akra cans with those token little decibel reducing tubes in the ends. Chris suggested that this map might be a bit lean on it's own. Twin Akras should still expel burnt gasses better than a single Akra, so I might be a bit too lean for safety. It runs very well, threatens to toss me off the back of the seat if I am not careful, and even better yet, the O2 sensors both switch voltage between off and on. Good sign.

So, here's my two part question:
1) I'm looking for better F-L settings than the ones that the OEM Akra map have, but am a bit unsure of what those values really mean, so guidance
would be greatly appreciated. Right now, with about 1.5 miles on the revised bike, lets just say that the motor rewards a very smooth right wrist, and the higher the rpms, the better it treats me. I have only ridden it 1.5 miles though. I don't know if setting the F-L values lower than the stock map will help, or hurt, but many of the maps have those F-L values set very low, or even to zero especially at most higher throttle positions.

2) I am planning to paste the PowerTrip F maps onto my CPR maps since the PowerTrip F-map values are mostly a bit richer, before I take this out on the road much. I don't think this will hurt anything, since very rarely do his maps drop below the CPR maps. I'll try the 15 minute idle routine once I get a map installed that I plan to take to a tuner.

3) Yeah, I just thought of a third question. Too bad, please answer anyways. Anyone know of or have experience with any dyno tuners in the SF Bay Area that have dyno tuned and mapped a KTM 990 with a Rottweiler or other aftermarket high flow air intake? It would be kewl if he used TuneECU, but that is a MUCH lower priority. I can just save and work with whatever they come up with if they use PC or whatever.
Primarily, I would like to start with maps in the ECU to be reasonably close to decent so that the dyno tuning dood has a good starting point. The further away from optimal that the bike starts, the further away from optimal the tuning session will probably end, or so I assume. I am not going to be racing, ever. I don't even want the best fuel mileage. I just want the bike to run well, and reliably, with decent gas mileage, and without burning a hole in the top of either piston or plugging itself up with carbon soot.

Thanks in advance for any assistance y'all can provide.
Jonathan
Sounds like a pain in the neck. I hope you got a good deal.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #2533
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Question well, this is one way to learn about a bike . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTomKx View Post
Sounds like a pain in the neck. I hope you got a good deal.
I didn't get a great deal. I got an OK deal considering mileage. If I wasn't a hands-on bike owner, I'd have lost money. As it is, I was planning to dig deep into this bike anyways so no big deal, financially. So far, I haven't found anything actually broken in a way that I can't fix myself. Hopefully I'll get this FI mapping taken care of without breaking anything.

I'm still hoping to hear from a 990 owner with a Rottweiler or equivalent and dual Akras!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #2534
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
I can't help with number 1, but...

Quote:
I have a 2011 990, with a SW7 filter, and dual Leo's. I currently use the Powertripp Map (#Power-TrippKTM990advAKRA.hex) and find it to work the best out of the four I've tried. By best I mean smoothest throttle, fewest "hiccups", and best fuel economy (power is there also). The only modification I made to it was to turn off the SAI. Like you said, you'd need to copy/paste with the older ECU.

Quote:
Anyone know of or have experience with any dyno tuners in the SF Bay Area that have dyno tuned and mapped a KTM 990 with a Rottweiler or other aftermarket high flow air intake? It would be kewl if he used TuneECU, but that is a MUCH lower priority.
As for a tuner in NorCal, check out Wheelsmith Racing in San Rafael. They used to be (still are?) Factory pro guys, and provide dyno tuning. They also have Tune ECU listings for the 990A on their website. I have not personally used them, yet, but I've been told they do very good work with both the 990A and TuneECU. I plan to have them tune my bike later this year (err next year). http://www.factorypro.com/Wheelsmith...e_-_REFLASHING
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #2535
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Question so, here is where I am headed . . . not sure if it's a good idea, or not.

After looking through all the TuneECU maps and files that I can find, there appears to only be two custom maps that are out there in the interweb that have been developed for an open intake like a Rottweiler. The most widely distributed tune is based on moto-treks map set for his newish 990 (2011/12).

This set of maps has been partially copied into other tunes for different version 990s, such as my version: 2007/2008. I'm a little uncomfortable with the fact that the F and L maps are copied from his tune into a 2007/08 tune, but the F-L switch settings and the 2nd butterfly map is not. I suspect that his maps may have been created with his second butterflies working as shown in his tune. This probably also applies to the F-L settings. His maps are found in different TuneECU tunes at a few different places on the web.

The second set of custom maps created for an open intake is the Power-Tripp maps. They are (for the most part) richer than the moto-treks maps, and are also created for newer 990s (2009/10) so they have to be cut and pasted into a 2007/08 tune for appropriate ignition advance.

Perhaps it would be better to just paste 2008 ignition maps into either of their tunes in order to keep all of their dyno-tune developed fuel/air maps together:
F maps
L maps
2nd Throttle
F-L Switch
(I am neglecting the low octane fuel map as this post is a bit too detailed and complicated already)

Otherwise, I have to copy and paste a lot of different tables and settings, oh well.

I haven't found any other custom map sets or tunes out there other than these two, but others may exist. I just haven't found them yet. I also haven't found any tunes that are based on edited copies of Power-Tripp's tune, like I have for moto-treks' tune. There may be some of those out there someplace as well. There may be a few places on the internet that I haven't visited yet. I better get back to looking around as soon as I finish writing this post.

After another excessively long discussion, here is a single question:
Is it really OK to separate out the F and/or L map from a tune and use it without the 2nd Throttle butterfly map and F-L Switch settings that it was developed with? Some of these versions of moto-treks' tune that are distributed on the web have significantly different F-L settings and 2nd butterfly map than his original tune.

FWIW, my 990 is now tolerable to ride with just such a tune loaded, where before I was almost not comfortable lanesplitting stop-n-go traffic on the freeways here in Congestedfreewaylifornia. It's not safe to ride in this traffic without splitting lanes, so it takes a lot for me to say that.

Now my 990 is working pretty well, but is still a bit of a wild beast between 2500 and 4500 rpm. I am thinking that I will finish integrating both of their complete map sets into 2007/08 tunes, try them out and take whichever I like best to my future dyno-tuner.

Thanks for reading this. Thanks even more if you have any answers or even just further related comments. You may return to your funny cat videos and epic-fail compilation videos now.

JoeMongo screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 06:39 PM