Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 01:52 AM   #2566
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
The steppers is self learning. Does it even have a set screw? I think only a hard stop screw.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D802 met Tapatalk

With all due respect,
Would I ask the question if there was no adjustment???

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:57 AM   #2567
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,108
Could be you had mistaken the stopper for an adjuster.. anyway, I think you'll have more luck finding a complete set of tb's instead of just a stepper as well

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D802 met Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #2568
petdav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
resistor needed?

2012 990 standard - removed SAS and charcoal cannister and reflashed in tuneecu. Now getting codes 5 long 3 short saying short or open on evap system. Disabled SAI and EPC when I reflashed the bike - do I also need to add the resistor on the charcoal cannister wire? I thought that by disabling EPC in tuneeecu I was disabling this circuit and no resistor was necessary or am I talking 2 different things?
petdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #2569
pulpo2011
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by petdav View Post
2012 990 standard - removed SAS and charcoal cannister and reflashed in tuneecu. Now getting codes 5 long 3 short saying short or open on evap system. Disabled SAI and EPC when I reflashed the bike - do I also need to add the resistor on the charcoal cannister wire? I thought that by disabling EPC in tuneeecu I was disabling this circuit and no resistor was necessary or am I talking 2 different things?
Sorry for my english, i try help you.

In Tuneecu:
Read map
Save map
Disable SAI and EPC
Download map
key off
key on
reset adaptation
key off
Hope this help

pulpo2011 screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 11:30 AM
pulpo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #2570
petdav
Adventurer

resistor

Re:

In Tuneecu:
Read map
Save map
Disable SAI and EPC
Download map
key off
key on
reset adaptation
key off
Hope this helpThanks for the reply.

After loading the new maps and disabling the SAI and EPC I did the 15 minute idle . Should I still have to do the reset adaptation in addition to the 15 minute idle. Still learning and appreciate the advice...
Old 02-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #2571
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:

Should I still have to do the reset adaptation in addition to the 15 minute idle. Still learning and appreciate the advice...

When you load a new map a reset adaption happens automatically and you must do the 15 min idle.

If you want to reset the ecu base settings with a 15 min idle procedure without downloading a new map then this is when you use "reset adaption"

My understanding is that the 15 min idle does little without reset adaption

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #2572
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
I think you need the resistor, if I remember right I found mine at Radio shack.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #2573
DeepSea
electronically challenged

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxthmper View Post
I think you need the resistor, if I remember right I found mine at Radio shack.

1/4 watt 22,000 ohm resistors (Radioshack SKU: 271-1339)

Quote:
I just did mine a few weeks ago. Thanks to Katoom's write up here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407113
Lot's of pictures and well worded.
Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.

DeepSea screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 05:20 PM
DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #2574
petdav
Adventurer

resistor- re-installed solenoid instead

Guys - thanks for the replies on this. I have decided rather than go thru the resistor thing, I would just re-install the evap solenoid minus all the plumbing of course. The ecu sees it, no more fault codes and all is well.
To be crystal clear on this, I would still like to know definitively what I accomplished when I un-ticked EPC on Tuneecu.
Does the ecu now see the solenoid but not signal it, or is there still an operation being performed by this solenoid?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #2575
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,768
Are you using a US map or a European map? On my 2010 990 I removed everything you did and I didn't install resistors and I don't have any error codes. I'm running a European map.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #2576
petdav
Adventurer

which map?

Using standard US map as bike has only 5000 km and I wanted to re-tune it in small steps so I could go backwards if I screwed something up. Just installed wings 2-2, removed sas and evap cannister and I got confused when I got the error code after setting the new parameters.

I now realize I should have just left the evap solenoid in place in order not to get a code.
I will likely try a powertripp map if still getting the 3-4000rpm chop but it's too early to tell yet as I haven't had a chance to road test.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #2577
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Using standard US map as bike has only 5000 km and I wanted to re-tune it in small steps so I could go backwards if I screwed something up. Just installed wings 2-2, removed sas and evap cannister and I got confused when I got the error code after setting the new parameters.

I now realize I should have just left the evap solenoid in place in order not to get a code.
I will likely try a powertripp map if still getting the 3-4000rpm chop but it's too early to tell yet as I haven't had a chance to road test.
Did you clear the error codes after you un-ticked the ECP and SAI using TuneECU->Menu->ECU-> Erase Error Codes?

I recently removed the canister and SAS on my 2011 Adv and used TuneECU to un-tick them. The error codes still showed up in the TuneECU after I recycled the ignition. After some research on the TuneECU site, I erased the errors, disconnected (using the Menu->ECU->Disconnect), key off, key on, then connected TuneECU. The errors went away. No resistors, no evap solenoid, and no errors.

From what I understad, it is important to use the Disconnect menu item in order to make sure the ECU is not left in "Programming" mode.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #2578
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,713
I'm not using resistors either. I think if you program it with the components attached, it will not raise a code. You can then remove them after programming is done.

Tell me if I'm wrong. OK, just wrong in this case...
Old 02-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #2579
xTomKx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Has anybody tried to balance the Throttle Bodies using Tune ECU?

I made an attempt tonight but seems like the numbers were jumping around making it tough to pinpoint.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #2580
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,713
It has too much lag time to balance the throttle bodies. You can look to the fuel injection pulses readout (just above the vacuum sensor voltage readout). It seems to follow the vacuum sensors.

You really need a 'electric twin depression gauge' to get balance the throttle bodies. Which means you need to run vacuum lines back to the rear of the air box so you can reach them. I strap it to the bike and check it under load at cruse rpm, about 3500-4000. That were you ride most of the time and where it's the most important.