ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #2611
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Thanks. That is what I was afraid of.

I run a 2 into 1 exhaust and no air box/ITG foam filter. I have loaded up a custom map which works pretty well--MUCH better than the stock setup and map. I just re-installed the secondary throttle butterflies in hopes that will richen me up around 3500-4000 and help with a slight lean surge there. Bike also seems rich (bordering on blubber)y at idle. Don't know what to do about that. But it runs very well other than these 2 small issues.

But I am interested in fine tuning a little more. But it seems that equipment choices for the 2007/2008 are limited. The PC setup looks interesting but, as I read it, there is no "Auto tune" available for the older 990 ECU.
There are a couple things you could do without risking buggering the whole thing up.

Take the spikes out of the ignition maps as Zuber has recommended.

Lower the values in the F-L table in the range of the lean surge.

Naturally, you would want to keep an unmolested copy of your current tune to fall back on if the changes did not work out.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #2612
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,243
Pardon me, my question is a bit off topic, but relavant to KTM TuneECU users.

Has anyone found third-party software that would allow me to use the blue CJDesigns TuneECU cable sans KTM adapter on my Chevy Colorado? It plugs into my stock Chevy OBD2 port, and I get the blue status light but all of the third party software packages I've tried (Proscan, EasyOBDII, etc) only support ELF devices and not the VAG FTDI devices used by TuneECU.

Too bad TuneECU doesn't support Chevy! Do Chevy's use a different standard of the OBD2 spec? Anyone found third party ODB2 software that supports the VAG FTDI chipset on American cars to pull codes and basic diagnostic information? Or is the data coming off the serial port in an unrecognizable format?
Thanks!

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #2613
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Pulling and resetting codes, basic info in the form of gauges for fuel/air, plus some more sophisticated functions like derived horsepower, data logging, acceleration runs etc, all on programs like Torque (free) which I use on my Android phone, talking via a cheap (like $35) Bluetooth dongle...no cable needed. Is this the sort of thing you were after? BTW, the OBD2 on US vehicles is much more of a standard protocol than KTM...I believe it is proprietary to KTM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post

Has anyone found third-party software that would allow me to use the blue CJDesigns TuneECU cable sans KTM adapter on my Chevy Colorado? It plugs into my stock Chevy OBD2 port, and I get the blue status light but all of the third party software packages I've tried (Proscan, EasyOBDII, etc) only support ELF devices and not the VAG FTDI devices used by TuneECU.

Too bad TuneECU doesn't support Chevy! Do Chevy's use a different standard of the OBD2 spec? Anyone found third party ODB2 software that supports the VAG FTDI chipset on American cars to pull codes and basic diagnostic information? Or is the data coming off the serial port in an unrecognizable format?
Thanks!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #2614
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 302
Quote:

Thanks!
It can be that your car doesn't support the VAG connections
Wires can be different, depending on protocol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
Old 03-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #2615
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
The problem likely is that the other software packages tried with the TuneECU cable don't support the FTDI chipset in the cable. Many OBD X packages do not handle the OBD X protocol directly, but rather, communicate with a dedicated processor (in the cable) which does.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #2616
xTomKx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:

Thanks!
The VAG FTDI chipset is used in German cars. For American cars you will need a different chipset cable. You can pick up a cable for American cars dirt cheap on ebay.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #2617
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
The problem likely is that the other software packages tried with the TuneECU cable don't support the FTDI chipset in the cable. Many OBD X packages do not handle the OBD X protocol directly, but rather, communicate with a dedicated processor (in the cable) which does.
Ya, that makes sense. I was thrown off by the CDW driver which maps the FTDI chipset into a COM port. I was hoping that meant the host application didn't have to support chipset specific devices, just plain old COM port support. So I thought it was that straight forward. I was also hoping the application would be able to support the Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG) protocol, but I guess not. Not worth any more trouble, (see below) Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Pulling and resetting codes, basic info in the form of gauges for fuel/air, plus some more sophisticated functions like derived horsepower, data logging, acceleration runs etc, all on programs like Torque (free) which I use on my Android phone, talking via a cheap (like $35) Bluetooth dongle...no cable needed. Is this the sort of thing you were after? BTW, the OBD2 on US vehicles is much more of a standard protocol than KTM...I believe it is proprietary to KTM.
Thanks for this! I've been eying the bluetooth devices as well. I realize having my smart phone on my lap will be a LOT more convenient than a cumbersome laptop on the passenger seat anyway! I ordered one of the bluetooth devices. I think it will be worth the money!

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #2618
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
[QUOTE
Thanks for this! I've been eying the bluetooth devices as well. I realize having my smart phone on my lap will be a LOT more convenient than a cumbersome laptop on the passenger seat anyway! I ordered one of the bluetooth devices. I think it will be worth the money![/QUOTE]

I can only put free apps on my (work) phone. Note that free Torque does not have full support for diesels, though I have reset some codes on my Cummins. The ebay dongle and app work without a hitch. There was some talk on this thread, or maybe another, that maybe a BT device and one of those apps would be convenient on the KTM (TPS, air fuel, temps, pressures) during ride tests. I think the consensus is that the protocol does not lend itself. Too bad...
Old 03-05-2014, 02:14 AM   #2619
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
[QUOTE
Thanks for this! I've been eying the bluetooth devices as well. I realize having my smart phone on my lap will be a LOT more convenient than a cumbersome laptop on the passenger seat anyway! I ordered one of the bluetooth devices. I think it will be worth the money!
Quote:
I can only put free apps on my (work) phone. Note that free Torque does not have full support for diesels, though I have reset some codes on my Cummins. The ebay dongle and app work without a hitch. There was some talk on this thread, or maybe another, that maybe a BT device and one of those apps would be convenient on the KTM (TPS, air fuel, temps, pressures) during ride tests. I think the consensus is that the protocol does not lend itself. Too bad...
I'm not sure about that. If you use someone's BT dongle, it will have a male OBD X connector. You will have to use the adapter portion of your TuneECU cable which provides a female OBD X connector. This adapter does not have any chips. It is just a cable. I tried my Garmin BT dongle on my 690 and 990 and neither of those would would attach to the Garmin GPS that I use on my F150. My guess is that the KTM Kehin OBD X is not doing a complete OBD X implementation. Haven't tried it yet on my 1190R.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 03-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #2620
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
please try! I have no idea either if the new all can 1190 ecu does support common obd.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #2621
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
please try! I have no idea either if the new all can 1190 ecu does support common obd.
Rode today. Will do it tomorrow.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 03-06-2014, 03:00 AM   #2622
striped tomato
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
With the 990 do you upload a second tune somehow for the low octane setting?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #2623
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by striped tomato View Post
With the 990 do you upload a second tune somehow for the low octane setting?
on a 990 just enable the low octane "switch". It's a wire under the seat with a bayonet style connector. I relocated mine to the glove box so i didn't have to take off the seat to access it.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #2624
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
on a 990 just enable the low octane "switch". It's a wire under the seat with a bayonet style connector. I relocated mine to the glove box so i didn't have to take off the seat to access it.
I think the question is if people are using/downloading a different low octane map. If that's the question, I'm not aware of low octane maps different from the OEM ones, but honestly I never paid too much attention to them...

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #2625
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,203
The low octane map only affects ignition timing. I imagine it could be remapped with a 'performance' map if you wanted to.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote