Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 07:17 AM   #2626
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimoto View Post
I think the question is if people are using/downloading a different low octane map. If that's the question, I'm not aware of low octane maps different from the OEM ones, but honestly I never paid too much attention to them...
I've not heard of one either

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The low octane map only affects ignition timing. I imagine it could be remapped with a 'performance' map if you wanted to.
I suppose one could reduce the timing by the same % as disconnecting the low octane wire. However, KTM only recommends running one tank of low octane fuel. I'm not sure if this is valid or just a liability thing. I'd rather not take the chance of damaging the motor.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #2627
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I suppose one could reduce the timing by the same % as disconnecting the low octane wire
It's the same thing, disconnecting the low octane cable makes the ECU work on the low octane map (I1 and I2 LOF on tuneecu)

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #2628
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,062
My point was that it doesn't have to be a low octane map . That's just how it is set up from the factory. If you never anticipate needing to run low octane fuel you could remap the that ignition table for snappier response - think of it as a race map or trackday map. It would take quite a bit of dyno time to optimize the ignition map for best performance while still keeping the motor safe.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #2629
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,762
Well thats true. Or, a lower power/less responsive map on a 990 Adv for muddy trails. I've not really tried the current LOF settings with high octane to see how much power it drops.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #2630
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
My point was that it doesn't have to be a low octane map . That's just how it is set up from the factory. If you never anticipate needing to run low octane fuel you could remap the that ignition table for snappier response - think of it as a race map or trackday map. It would take quite a bit of dyno time to optimize the ignition map for best performance while still keeping the motor safe.
Right on... I have my modified map as my primary ignition (I1-I2) and the stock ignition map as my low octane map (I1LOF-L2LOF) to fall back on if i don't like my changes made...
Same idea but just different from what you stated.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #2631
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,699
I suggested running two ign maps some time ago. When I was trying out new ign curves I left the old map in the low octane area. So, it was easy to compare by the seat dyno.

Sometime in the future I'm going to try putting the stock map in there for the old fuel mileage (48 mpg). Will need to test it out with the new fuel maps though.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #2632
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Well thats true. Or, a lower power/less responsive map on a 990 Adv for muddy trails.
Ooh... I like that idea.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #2633
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
I suggested running two ign maps some time ago. When I was trying out new ign curves I left the old map in the low octane area. So, it was easy to compare by the seat dyno.

That's actually what I've been planning to do in order to test my attempt to flatten out the stock 2008 ignition curve. Unfortunately, I had to park my bike a month ago due to elbow repair surgery and no riding for another month or two. Oh well.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

JoeMongo screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 09:03 AM
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #2634
striped tomato
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Right on... I have my modified map as my primary ignition (I1-I2) and the stock ignition map as my low octane map (I1LOF-L2LOF) to fall back on if i don't like my changes made...

Same idea but just different from what you stated.

Thanks, this is the info I was after. So the switch (or wire) activates a second set of tables I1LOF-L2LOF. Could be de-tuned for low octane fuel, could just be a different tune to suit style or conditions eg power map and economy map but is it only addressing ignition timing??

Cheers

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #2635
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by striped tomato View Post
Thanks, this is the info I was after. So the switch (or wire) activates a second set of tables I1LOF-L2LOF. Could be de-tuned for low octane fuel, could just be a different tune to suit style or conditions eg power map and economy map but is it only addressing ignition timing??

Cheers

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Correct.

When TuneECU opened up that portion of the map for us the game was on for me...

People don't forget to donate if ya can, those boys made a great tool for us...
Old 03-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #2636
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Probably been beaten to death, but this thread is long...

2007-2008 models?!

Are our only choices for ready-to-install maps these:

Stock map and Akra Slip-On map from http://www.tomhamburg.net/KTM_Tune_list.html

Or

Rottweiler intake and exhaust (or 1% lean, or 2% lean) from http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/Downloads.html

Any others out there?

I've read that I can swap the F, L, 2nd throttle, and F-L switches into any newer model year maps. Anyone care to give me a little more details about that? I'd like to have a bit better understanding.

Edit: Since there hasn't been any action since I posted this, I supposed I'll add to it...

My 2008 ran perfect with the stock map... no flat spots or oddnesses. But, I replaced my clogged and nasty stock air filter with an open intake system (like the Rottweiler and SW's). I want to make sure it's not running lean now with the extra air coming in, so I tried the Akra tune. Since there aren't any "open intake with stock exhaust" options, I figured "open exhaust with stock intake" may net similar fueling. I didn't have any substantial issues, but I have heard of the horrid gas mileage with this tune, and almost every post regarding it ends with people improving upon it.
So I tried the Rottweiler tune. Since it's made for open exhaust and intake, I opted for his 2% lean option, thinking that may make up for my stock exhaust. It had a horible flat spot / occasional cough / hesitation around 4-5k rpm, and just in general didn't provide the power 'kick' I had, and am wanting. A buddy of mine riding with me said it smelled very rich.
I pulled a spark plug after our 150 mile ride, but it looks pretty good.

So, in comparing my stock map, the Akra tune, and the Rott. tune, I'm seeing that the only tables that change values are the F1, F2, L1, and L2. All other tables are identical across the board.

So I took my excellent running stock tune... and made a +2% version (by adding 2% to all values in the 4 tables listed above). I'm thinking, 2% will provide enough extra fuel to satisfy the new open intake.

EDIT MORE: The Stock+2% gave me my snappy throttle response back, and eliminated my 4-5k rpm stubmle, but led to popping on decel... most often caused by a lean condition. So I've now made a Stock+4% version. It's still quite a bit more lean than the Rott. map.
(Thinking out loud: is this 15 minute idle thing really necessary every time? When it only takes a minute to modify and install a map, the 15 minute idle is a real downer. I find it hard to believe they would all sit there for 15 minutes between runs when dyno tuning).

I have the opportunity to get it on a dyno, perhaps a couple times, over the next couple weeks, but all they will do is run the dyno, and give me the graph (with A/F), no tuning. So, once I get it running smoothly, I'll go test it to make sure it's not too rich or lean.

I don't much care for maximizing power output, I want it to run smoothly and still get as good of mileage as possible, but I obviously don't want it so lean it could hurt anything.

Mikef5000 screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 02:33 PM
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #2637
mjskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
SMT maps?

How different are the SMT and adventure maps?
For the SMT you can get a map for pretty much any combo of mod. (European maps, so add 2% to 4% in the US to account for the crappier gas)

http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3770
mjskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #2638
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Just had mine tuned with TuneEcu on the dyno with sniffer, and had a new map built for my 990R with Akro pipes and Rottweiler intake, and it runs great. I know before when i loaded the generic maps provided for the Rottwieler intake it was pretty good but now its stronger with the tune. And when i loaded different maps to try i also did the 15 minute idle,but with the dyno tune we did not do the 15 minute idle. And you know what? I don't see anything different in the loaded map, so not sure what the 15 minute idle is all about.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #2639
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
so not sure what the 15 minute idle is all about.
About idling and not much else judging by what the repair manual says. All it talks about is poor idling if it is not done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #2640
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

The Stock+2% gave me my snappy throttle response back, and eliminated my 4-5k rpm stubmle, but led to popping on decel... most often caused by a lean condition. So I've now made a Stock+4% version. It's still quite a bit more lean than the Rott. map.
To add to this... The 4% map cut the popping in half, but it was still there. I'm now running a 6% map... My stock map, plus 6% to the fueling in the F1, F2, L1, and L2. No popping. No stumbling. No flat spots. Snappy throttle. And I'm happy. I'll put some more miles on it this week, and then try to put it on a dyno this Friday or next (free dyno runs on Fridays)... to make sure the bike is as happy as I am.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote