Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #2686
tocou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
The PowerTripp990AdvWings map is a good one to start with. It's for a 2-1 exhaust, but with the stock air box. So, you've opened up the intake, but plugged up the exhaust. This map would be a good start.

Thanks ! I'm not so sure about plugging the exhaust. As far as I know, the cylinders will no exhaust at the same time. The Akra is way more open than both stock exhaust together... I agree that two Akra will be more open than one.

I'll do a few tests with the stock map, the Akrapovic map and the Wings map you gave me. I'll keep you posted in a few weeks... It's still winter around here !!!
tocou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #2687
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocou View Post
Thanks ! I'm not so sure about plugging the exhaust. As far as I know, the cylinders will no exhaust at the same time. The Akra is way more open than both stock exhaust together... I agree that two Akra will be more open than one.

I'll do a few tests with the stock map, the Akrapovic map and the Wings map you gave me. I'll keep you posted in a few weeks... It's still winter around here !!!
Stock has a very rough ignition map, weird throttle response with sensitive areas and dead areas. Lean, good mileage.

Akro is rich, O2 sensors are turned off so you will have poor mileage, same rough ignition.

The PowerTripp has a very smooth ignition. I found it to be the best starting point. For my set up with stock airbox and muffler, it was too rich above 7000 rpm and had too much advance. Otherwise, the best starting point map.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #2688
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
I think I'm going to chime in too with a little map advice.

I'm about to throw in the newer cams in my 07 990.
Will also be adding the Rott filter.
Currently running stock headers w/ Leo cans.

Any suggestions? I though I had seen a PowerTripp map for Leo can's on the newer bikes, but can't find it now.. and the two available maps have no mention of a non-stock air box.
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #2689
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I don't have any answers for you, but I'm curious what the tuning solution would be here...

Would it make sense to copy and paste all the ignition and fuel maps from a power-tripp map into an 07 map? I know you can't just load a newer map into the older ecu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post

Any suggestions? I though I had seen a PowerTripp map for Leo can's on the newer bikes, but can't find it now.. and the two available maps have no mention of a non-stock air box.
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #2690
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTony View Post
I don't have any answers for you, but I'm curious what the tuning solution would be here...

Would it make sense to copy and paste all the ignition and fuel maps from a power-tripp map into an 07 map? I know you can't just load a newer map into the older ecu.
Oh really?
Never knew there was an actual compatibility issue aside from the timing being different.

This is good to know.. sounds like I may be trailering the bike to PowerTripp
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #2691
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post

I have 06 990 with new cams, 2-1 leovince with killer, bmc and uni prefilter.

It has been a year since I made these test but if I recall correctly, map with powertrip values didn't work for me. Huge lag when opening throttle and engine running slightly hot.

Normal 2008 akra map was better but in WOT it was not as good as powertrip map. Especially after 8000 rpm nothing happened.

So best combination so far has been 2008 Akra map with F and I tables from powertrip map. Now the engine really comes to life when you hit the 8000 rpm mark. Only "problem" is the 20 cm flame coming from exhaust when changing up. Doesn't happen always.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #2692
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 种. View Post

It has been a year since I made these test but if I recall correctly, map with powertrip values didn't work for me. Huge lag when opening throttle and engine running slightly hot.

Normal 2008 akra map was better but in WOT it was not as good as powertrip map. Especially after 8000 rpm nothing happened.

So best combination so far has been 2008 Akra map with F and I tables from powertrip map. Now the engine really comes to life when you hit the 8000 rpm mark. Only "problem" is the 20 cm flame coming from exhaust when changing up. Doesn't happen always.
Interesting... really just need to be able to hobble the bike from Miami FL to PowerTripp in Alabama for them to remap. Was REALLY hoping to be able to just load a newer map with the proper timing. As long as it's running rich, not too worried about a smooth ride there. Either that, or I install the cams @ their premises if they were willing.

Can someone confirm that is is intact impossible to load a 2010 (or whatever) map into the 2007 ECU? Currently bike is in storage unit in FL as I'm working it across the country.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #2693
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,151
is there is a noob section on tuneecu? i skimmed through a lot of this thread, and i have some basic questions:

1) according to some videos, you have to do a TPS reset after loading a map? or is this only for triumphs?

2) i would like to turn off the 1st/2nd gear restriction on my 990... i don't see that option on the left hand side. am i missing it?

3) when eliminating sas, do i turn off both EPC and SAI?

4) if i "read map" that will upload my current stock map, which i can edit, save, then "download" it back to ecu?

i really don't need or want to play with the map, i just want to eliminate the restriction of both SAS and the 1st/2nd gear lag. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
NY to Alaska Ride Report Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014

Rodknee screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 03:19 PM
Rodknee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #2694
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodknee View Post
is there is a noob section on tuneecu? i skimmed through a lot of this thread, and i have some basic questions:

1) according to some videos, you have to do a TPS reset after loading a map? or is this only for triumphs?

2) i would like to turn off the 1st/2nd gear restriction on my 990... i don't see that option on the left hand side. am i missing it?

3) when eliminating sas, do i turn off both EPC and SAI?

4) if i "read map" that will upload my current stock map, which i can edit, save, then "download" it back to ecu?

i really don't need or want to play with the map, i just want to eliminate the restriction of both SAS and the 1st/2nd gear lag. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
1) No. You do not have to do the reset. The bike will run on the new map and settings after you disconnect. The TPS let's the engine 'learn' the new settings and adapt to them in 15 min. If you don't do the TPS, the engine will learn the new settings over time.

2) You can't do this in TuneECU. You have physically cut the wires. More info here.

3) Yes.

4) Yes.

Make sure you click Menu->ECU->Disconnect after you make changes or download a map to the bike. This will ensure the ECU is no longer in "Edit" mode.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #2695
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BykBoy View Post
1)
2) You can't do this in TuneECU. You have physically cut the wires. More info here.
after brushing up (i actually posted in that thread... lol, turns out the EPC is actually what retards the bike in 2nd and 3rd gear. turning off EPC after a SAS/EPC removal solves this problem without cutting the wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
This is from the manual

The ECU receives a ground from the gear sensor 4 via the gray (2nd gear) or via the violet/brown (3rd gear) cable if one of the two gears is engaged.

[/SIZE][/FONT]If the throttle grip is opened all the way (which the ECU recognizes via the TPS 5) at a certain speed (or a certain number of revolutions) in 2nd or 3rd gear, the ECU activates the ground control of the EPC valves.

Subsequently, the EPC valves will open an air connection to the carburettor diaphragm covers. A controlled amount of fresh air can be sucked into the space above the diaphragm, reducing the vacuum over the carburettor diaphragm. This causes the carburettor slides to open more slowly resulting in a lower air-gap area to be sucked in through the engine. The engine performance and noise are significantly reduced.

NOTE: if the EPC valves are disconnected, this will not influence the other systems.
[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BykBoy View Post
Make sure you click Menu->ECU->Disconnect after you make changes or download a map to the bike. This will ensure the ECU is no longer in "Edit" mode.
good tip, thanks.
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Old 04-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #2696
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Yes, turn off EPC (EPC=Electronic Power Control)

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #2697
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

also, does it matter what you name the .hex files? do i need to keep it the same file name or can i change it to "rodneys_stock_map.hex"?
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Old 04-12-2014, 03:16 AM   #2698
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by 种. View Post

Only "problem" is the 20 cm flame coming from exhaust when changing up. Doesn't happen always.
Do you have the SAS system still connected?, also it sounds that the map is pumping some extra fuel when closing the throttle during shifting.

What is your F-L switch settings and around which engine rpm are the flames appearing
Old 04-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #2699
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
also, does it matter what you name the .hex files? do i need to keep it the same file name or can i change it to "rodneys_stock_map.hex"?
You can rename them

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #2700
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

i thought the valve in front of the airbox was part of SAS? it is a different circuit? i was chasing my tail uploading/downloading US maps, disabling SAS but i was still getting p0444 purge valve FI codes.

i finally ended up using an EU R map, which i disabled SAS and the problem is resolved.

how do you disable the purge valve in the US map? can you do this in tuneecu? or if i eliminate the purge valve, i have to use a EU map?
RIP Buddy 1999-2014

Rodknee screwed with this post 04-12-2014 at 10:40 PM