ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #316
Salzig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc8john View Post
The EPC limits the engine RPM in 2nd and 3rd gear.
AFAIK the EPC limits the opening of the secondary butterflies.

"A donkey! A donkey! My kingdom for a donkey!"
Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #317
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Flippin Maps

Quote:
Reverted mine from Akra map to stock.
Disabled the SAS and O2 via tuneecu and the bike now feels great!
Did you have issues with things prior? I.E. 4K hesitation, or herky jerky?

I went from the Akro back onto Stock with my Remus Cans, and there is again - the 4k hesitation, but not too bad. The Akro map was very good for runnablility, but terrible on fuel (28MPG).

Chris
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #318
lc8john
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
AFAIK the EPC limits the opening of the secondary butterflies.
Correct, which even at full open throttle will reduces the acceleration - increasing the time for the 2nd butterflies to open, hence lower engine revs.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #319
lc8john
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
Did you have issues with things prior? I.E. 4K hesitation, or herky jerky?

I went from the Akro back onto Stock with my Remus Cans, and there is again - the 4k hesitation, but not too bad. The Akro map was very good for runnablility, but terrible on fuel (28MPG).

Chris
With the Akra, a bit of on/off throttle felling, at lower revs, but no hesitation whatsoever, with both maps. I switched back to stock because the fuel economy too.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #320
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
With the Akra, a bit of on/off throttle felling, at lower revs, but no hesitation whatsoever, with both maps. I switched back to stock because the fuel economy too.
I get a pretty consistent 35 mpg combined city highway with the Acro map. I haven't done a long trip yet, so I don't know what it gets cruising. This is with a 16/45 setup, no knobs(yet). I have a aftermarket filter, pre-filter, and akros with silencers out.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:59 AM   #321
lc8john
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinns View Post
I get a pretty consistent 35 mpg combined city highway with the Acro map. I haven't done a long trip yet, so I don't know what it gets cruising. This is with a 16/45 setup, no knobs(yet). I have a aftermarket filter, pre-filter, and akros with silencers out.
I have leos, baffles out, 16x45 and knobs.
~29MPG and this is mixed road/city.
Off-road I prefer not to know.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #322
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Carb or FI

Thanks Spark01 - but that seems to be instructions for a 950 (carb) is it the same for FI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post

Enough info i think so
Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #323
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Pilot View Post
Thanks Spark01 - but that seems to be instructions for a 950 (carb) is it the same for FI?
The voltage is the same for the carbs as for the FI as i checked last night in the manual
Old 01-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #324
Rideimal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82

I'm trying to adjust my TPS but I don't know where the throttle position sensor is located on the 990. In the picture it looks like it is attached to the carb, so where is it on the carbless 990? Do I need to remove the throttle bodies from the air box in order to get at it?
Rideimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #325
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideimal View Post

I'm trying to adjust my TPS but I don't know where the throttle position sensor is located on the 990. In the picture it looks like it is attached to the carb, so where is it on the carbless 990? Do I need to remove the throttle bodies from the air box in order to get at it?
it requires a bit of finesse and a special tweak tool to get to the TPS fastener to then alter settings while still completely assembled. Grinns build a tweak tool, maybe he has some peakchurs?
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #326
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 712
Hey Guy's, Hello Head2wind,
I was wondering about the throttle position sensor myself. I figured a special tool would work but I'm not sure how it works with TuneECU. On the diagnostic screen the "gauge" that says TPS must be throttle Position sensor...Right ? OK then what should the gauge read ? The bike needs to be running right ? Then I assume if the gauge reads wrong...you adjust the TPS until the gauge reads correct ...right ? How do we know what the injection pulse should be ? Or manifold pressure ? Should they both read the same ,or close ? (both cylinders I mean) Is the throttle body balance on the test screen ?....cyl 1 and cyl 2 x10 hPa ? Should they read close to the same ? By adjusting the screw while its running ?
I can't get any of that stuff to "light up" , How about all that stuff under OTHER ?? On the diagnostic screen ? Does it just show up only if its bad ? How about the small tps at the bottom of all three screens ?
These and other burning questions must be answered !
Seriously, I don't want to burden y'all with my ineptness but I don't want to bother Alain or Tom with every little thing either. I'm sure I'm just missing something.......Right ?
Now is a good time to fix the big girl because the snow is not melting !?
Thanks ahead of time guys.
Killer Whale KTM
Old 01-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #327
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM View Post
I was wondering about the throttle position sensor myself. I figured a special tool would work but I'm not sure how it works with TuneECU. On the diagnostic screen the "gauge" that says TPS must be throttle Position sensor...Right ? OK then what should the gauge read ? The bike needs to be running right ? Then I assume if the gauge reads wrong...you adjust the TPS until the gauge reads correct ...right ? How do we know what the injection pulse should be ? Or manifold pressure ? Should they both read the same ,or close ? (both cylinders I mean) Is the throttle body balance on the test screen ?....cyl 1 and cyl 2 x10 hPa ? Should they read close to the same ? By adjusting the screw while its running ?
I can't get any of that stuff to "light up" , How about all that stuff under OTHER ?? On the diagnostic screen ? Does it just show up only if its bad ? How about the small tps at the bottom of all three screens ?
Seriously, I don't want to burden y'all with my ineptness but I don't want to bother Alain or Tom with every little thing either. I'm sure I'm just missing something.......Right ?
Killer Whale KTM
first off, did you manage to solve the issue related to the flashed ROM on your ECU being "not compatible"? Which thanks to your bold effort the question seems to be answered related to if a early 990 ecu will run a later "R" ecu ROM
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #328
Rideimal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM View Post
Killer Whale KTM
Sounds like you and I are having similar problems. I'd love to use TuneECU to rework maps and such, but right now I just want to understand the basics. Unfortunately I haven't found much along those lines. (Links?)

I was able to balance the throttle bodies today; here's what I did:

(1) remove the seat, glove compartment plastics, top of the airbox, and the air filter

(2) open TuneECU and hook up the bike to you laptop. The the connector is under the seat in the compartment with the ABS pump. Start the bike and make sure that your computer is able to talk to the ECU.

(3) click the 'Tests' icon in the upper-right of the screen. You'll see three small gauges on the left and one on the right. The ones you want to watch are the top and middle gauges on the left labeled 'x10 hPa'. Your bike needs to be running at this point.

(4) the goal is to get the readings to be as close as possible. To be clear: the absolute numbers registering don't matter, they just need to be the same (or really close?).

(5) adjustments are made by turning the screw found to the left of the throttle bodies, facing up, with some springs attached to it - it should be pretty obvious. Just make small changes until you get the readings that you want.

That's it for adjusting the throttle bodies - now you need to check the throttle position sensor. It would be great if someone would post an idiot-proof guide to doing that. Anyone?
Rideimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #329
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideimal View Post

It is on the front throttle body right side, you need to take the air filter and plate of the side of the air box to see it. Its a bitch just to see it. I looks just like the one pictured above.

From the description above i would guess they need to be lifted off the boots but still connected to the ECU as it must be switched on.

How far off are you readings? on the TPS

How far off were the TB's and how close did you get them.

here are a couple shot of what mine looks like.

cold TPS volts throttle closed. .07.. bit high

Cold...Throttle wide open... note 96 percent. throttle volts at 3.75...

hot...TPS wide open, 96... note Throttle volts 3.75, just a bit off..

hot...TPS at 0
after TB synk volts .65, just a bit high for the hot reading, from what I've read..

hot...TB synk... almost perfect.

Dusty screwed with this post 01-13-2011 at 10:36 PM Reason: add pics
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #330
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
it requires a bit of finesse and a special tweak tool to get to the TPS fastener to then alter settings while still completely assembled. Grinns build a tweak tool, maybe he has some peakchurs?

I had to cut the socket side of the torques down as much as possible, easy with a dremel. If I update this I am going to grind the back of the socket off some and try to make it shorter and liquid steel. This barely fits.

grinns screwed with this post 01-13-2011 at 11:34 PM
grinns is offline   Reply With Quote