ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #376
teti
especie en extincion

Oddometer: 143

It is advisable to disconnect O2? reasons?

es conveniente desconectar O2 ? razones?
teti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:39 AM   #377
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldonc View Post
They also recommended a ferrite bead on the cable to help keep the noise out of the cable.
I did a little investigation about ferrite beads/cores:

And what is claimed on superduke.net is wrong, a ferrite bead is not for preventing noise entering a cable.
It's is used on coils,transformers and high frequency cable to prevent that they become a EMI radiator.
So there used for stopping/limiting EMI signals getting out of a object.

If you want to limit the noise getting in a cable you need to make a metal shielding round the whole cable(cage of farraday).
And tie 1 end to the ground.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #378
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,263
No more cabels...

For those that keep sending requests for cables, I'm no longer building these. In less than 3 months I've built and shipped over 150 TuneECU cables for the big KTM. I've spent approx $4500 building these, and in the end got pretty close to $4500 back. All's good...

I hope everyone who ordered from me enjoys their cable and this wonderful software. Thanks again to Tom and Alain for making all of this happen!

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #379
924sas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
For those that keep sending requests for cables, I'm no longer building these. In less than 3 months I've built and shipped over 150 TuneECU cables for the big KTM. I've spent approx $4500 building these, and in the end got pretty close to $4500 back. All's good...

I hope everyone who ordered from me enjoys their cable and this wonderful software. Thanks again to Tom and Alain for making all of this happen!
for building and shipping them!!!!
924sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #380
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
More usb info

Before people start wrapping their USB cables with aluminum foil (and making a conical hat to wear while tuning) standard cables come shielded or non shielded. Connecting only one end of the shield in a comms cable is pretty standard practice - it prevents ground potentials from allowing current (could be high frequency current - interference) in the shield. Here is a quote from an EMI testing document:

When sending full speed signaling, USB cables rely on the shielding integrity of the cable and connector
shield. Field tests with 65% braid show no measurable leakage through the shield. However, the shield
must be carefully terminated to the connector. Most shielding failures can be traced to improper
termination of the cable shield to the connector or connector shell to the receptacle. Full speed USB cables
are specified to have a woven or spirally wound copper shield. Such a shield can be crimped to the
connector shell yielding 360 deg shield coverage at the connector. The use of a foil shield with a drain wire is
not recommended due to the series inductance of the drain wire and the tendency of foil to crack with
cable flexing. Low speed USB cables are not required to have shielding or to maintain a specified
impedance.

It is possible that one of the pieces of equipment in this data path is incorrectly grounded with respect to the shield or that those experiencing problems may be using unshielded cables - note the last line in the quote above.
While wrapping an extra shield around the cable would definitely help to reduce interference which is entering the cable from the environment, I dont think it will help much if it is the cable shield that is causing the problem. Also, if it is the grounding at the devices that is the problem, perhaps using and unshielded cable would fix it. Confused? Me too. The take away is - try swapping USB cable types to see if it helps, unless there is somebody out their with a Scopemeter and the time to check the setup for the source of noise, if there is any. I am guessing that if there is a noise problem, then Tom/Alain have done some software tweaking to try to alleviate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
I did a little investigation about ferrite beads/cores:

And what is claimed on superduke.net is wrong, a ferrite bead is not for preventing noise entering a cable.
It's is used on coils,transformers and high frequency cable to prevent that they become a EMI radiator.
So there used for stopping/limiting EMI signals getting out of a object.

If you want to limit the noise getting in a cable you need to make a metal shielding round the whole cable(cage of farraday).
And tie 1 end to the ground.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #381
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Unwanted cable anyone?

If anyone has a spare or is not using their cable anymore and wants to sell - please PM me! (I'm probably not gifted enough to make one)
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post

Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #382
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Thanks!

To Powercell for all his efforts! Also thanks to Tom and Alain!
Hope to drop the cats soon for a 2-1, then play with the software to get the fueling just right, or right-ish.

Would love to hear more from those who are having successful results with modifying maps for aftermarket pipes.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #383
kenscott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Wicked A cable pls.

List! I am just seeing this today?! WTF..

If you want to sell your cable please let me know. My 990 is 6 months old to me (2007) and I want to get a custom map.

Thanks,

Ken
kenscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #384
Spark01
V-Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Before people start wrapping their USB cables with aluminum foil (and making a conical hat to wear while tuning) standard cables come shielded or non shielded. Connecting only one end of the shield in a comms cable is pretty standard practice - it prevents ground potentials from allowing current (could be high frequency current - interference) in the shield. Here is a quote from an EMI testing document:

When sending full speed signaling, USB cables rely on the shielding integrity of the cable and connector
shield. Field tests with 65% braid show no measurable leakage through the shield. However, the shield
must be carefully terminated to the connector. Most shielding failures can be traced to improper
termination of the cable shield to the connector or connector shell to the receptacle. Full speed USB cables
are specified to have a woven or spirally wound copper shield. Such a shield can be crimped to the
connector shell yielding 360 deg shield coverage at the connector. The use of a foil shield with a drain wire is
not recommended due to the series inductance of the drain wire and the tendency of foil to crack with
cable flexing. Low speed USB cables are not required to have shielding or to maintain a specified
impedance.

It is possible that one of the pieces of equipment in this data path is incorrectly grounded with respect to the shield or that those experiencing problems may be using unshielded cables - note the last line in the quote above.
While wrapping an extra shield around the cable would definitely help to reduce interference which is entering the cable from the environment, I dont think it will help much if it is the cable shield that is causing the problem. Also, if it is the grounding at the devices that is the problem, perhaps using and unshielded cable would fix it. Confused? Me too. The take away is - try swapping USB cable types to see if it helps, unless there is somebody out their with a Scopemeter and the time to check the setup for the source of noise, if there is any. I am guessing that if there is a noise problem, then Tom/Alain have done some software tweaking to try to alleviate it.
Your wright it can be caused by a bad grounding at a connector.
But what also can be a problem, that the shielding is tied on both connectors to the ground and causing a ground loop.

In an electricalsystem, a ground loop usually refers to a current, generally unwanted, in a conductor connecting two points that are supposed to be at the same potential, often ground, but are actually at different potentials. Ground loops created by improperly designed or improperly installed equipment are a major cause of noise and interference in audio and video systems. They can also create an electric shock hazard, since ostensibly "grounded" parts of the equipment, which are often accessible to users, are not at ground potential.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)
Old 01-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #385
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
Your wright it can be caused by a bad grounding at a connector.
But what also can be a problem, that the shielding is tied on both connectors to the ground and causing a ground loop.
Yes, I mentioned that in the first part of my post (without using the term "groundloop"). A summary of what I was saying is that due to a mismatch of shield grounding when connecting components together you may end up with no shield ground or two, both of which can be bad. I think you, me and the Wiki contributor are all on the same page.
Of course, if electron theory is all , and smoke theory is used, its harder to explain...smoke in the wrong tube? Making a hole to let it out is almost always bad.

Enough of the hijack anyway...
Old 01-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #386
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
I have responses from Alain as to why I cannot read my current map off the ECU with TuneECU. He says it is because it has a different checksum than an OEM KTM map and won't read. Odd because I started with a standard OEM KTM Map and modified it with Tuneboy which should not have corrupted the map.

Alain says the "software" portion of the map has the wrong checksum, whatever that might be. I could not get an explanation.

One would assume that if you change values in the TuneECU tables from the standard KTM settings then the checksum would change too, but apparently there is another entity in the map files that does not change checksum even if the table values are changed. Mysteries.

I'm not in a panic since my bike is running great, but I've been wanting to see if the ECU had altered the Tuneboy map I last loaded almost a year and a half ago. No luck yet.

Grinns and I are going to do a little troubleshooting next week.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #387
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Interesting.
So you can't retrieve your map with tuneboy and compare the maps with that software instead?
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #388
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Interesting.
So you can't retrieve your map with tuneboy and compare the maps with that software instead?
Tuneboy has never been able to read maps back from a KTM ECU, one of it's negatives. It was always load and hope it did something. No way to read back and compare. I had to use external measuring equipment to see if/what changes happened.

That's why TuneECU is so interesting because it offered the hope I could read my map BACK from the ECU.

Tuneboy also allows you to change many more things on the Maps than TuneECU does, but again cannot read the map back from the Keihn ECU.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #389
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Tuneboy has never been able to read maps back from a KTM ECU, one of it's negatives. It was always load and hope it did something. No way to read back and compare. I had to use external measuring equipment to see if/what changes happened.

That's why TuneECU is so interesting because it offered the hope I could read my map BACK from the ECU.

Tuneboy also allows you to change many more things on the Maps than TuneECU does, but again cannot read the map back from the Keihn ECU.
Thank you. I had not understood that tuneboy couldn't read back. I thought it was a licensing issue only.
Odd software, but I'm can't judge since I've never used it.

I'd need to read more about it to understand what the many more things that tuneboy can do.

The checksum issue puzzles me indeed...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:11 AM   #390
Spark01
V-Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I have responses from Alain as to why I cannot read my current map off the ECU with TuneECU. He says it is because it has a different checksum than an OEM KTM map and won't read. Odd because I started with a standard OEM KTM Map and modified it with Tuneboy which should not have corrupted the map.

Alain says the "software" portion of the map has the wrong checksum, whatever that might be. I could not get an explanation.

One would assume that if you change values in the TuneECU tables from the standard KTM settings then the checksum would change too, but apparently there is another entity in the map files that does not change checksum even if the table values are changed. Mysteries.

I'm not in a panic since my bike is running great, but I've been wanting to see if the ECU had altered the Tuneboy map I last loaded almost a year and a half ago. No luck yet.

Grinns and I are going to do a little troubleshooting next week.
Intresting

Keep us updated, what you find out.