Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #421
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
I thought the ECU had a limit to how many times different maps could be loaded, 10 or 12? I have to read back through some of the other threads and find it. How many times have you loaded maps on yours?
No limit. Cyborg has had what 30 maps maybe?
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #422
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM View Post
Could me FMF mufflers lack of back pressure cause problems ?
Killer Whale KTM
My exhaust is alot more open than twin FMF's. You still have alot of back pressure.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #423
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
No limit. Cyborg has had what 30 maps maybe?
Yep, 30+ loads with Tuneboy, no problems.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #424
Tom-Hamburg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
86 loads with TuneECU, Triumph-Keihin-ECU, no problems

BR, Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Yep, 30+ loads with Tuneboy, no problems.
Triumph Rocket Roadster
Tom-Hamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #425
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 711
Thanks guy's,
I'm not doing anything different than what I was doing before. I just can't get it to download any maps. Not even the same map.
I'll e-mail Alian and ask him.
Just when I start making progress.....I get stopped !
I did get some work done today...
-radiator flushed
-throttle body boots removed ,cleaned and siliconed in place,while checking for any air leaks
-replaced rubber hoses on MAP sensors
-removed,straightened and re-drilled brass fittings for MAP sensors
-Checked and clogged (with bolts) throttle body holes left from SAS
-throttle position sensors adjusted, although I am not confident that they are correct

What should my throttle numbers be ? now they are top
14.6 0.65v
bottom
0% 0% 1.25v

sometimes I think I'm going backward !! I'm going to find a large bottle of wine now and start again !!
Thanks for the replies
Killer Whale KTM
Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #426
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:

What should my throttle numbers be ? now they are top
14.6 0.65v
bottom
0% 0% 1.25v

sometimes I think I'm going backward !! I'm going to find a large bottle of wine now and start again !!
Thanks for the replies
Killer Whale KTM
I'm assuming it's 0.65v cold?
It should get you within spec range warm but it should be between 0.50-0.60v
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #427
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
-throttle body boots removed ,cleaned and siliconed in place,while checking for any air leaks

Killer Whale KTM
Not knowing your experience level, wondered if you used the gasoline-resistant silicone? The area you sealed may have no or little direct exposure to fuel, but just saying...
and yes, I did find out the hard way about silicone and gasoline.
Also figured out the hard way (at age 17) that while silicone can seal annoying drips where your heater hoses connect to your heater under the dash, it also acts as a great lubricant before it dries - I had the burnt ankles to prove it and my first panic stop from 60mph .

Here is Dow Corning's guide to what is safe with various kinds of silicone

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/pu...l%20Properties
Old 02-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #428
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Thanks for the replies guys,
I have not heard from Alain. I can not figure out what I'm doing differently.
1)Hook up to TuneECU ,get green light.
2)go to open map file
3)open proper map (07-990 Now is km601AK0704501 want to load km601US0704501 )
4)Hit download
After the warning about harming my ECU, I hit OK then, my green light flashes red a few times then I get the "not compatible with ECU" Message !?
Am I missing something ?? It worked before !!
Please someone tell me I'm not going crazy !!
Killer Whale KTM
Old 02-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #429
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Please someone tell me I'm not going crazy !!

Maybe you just have a defective ECU...

PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #430
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Ken,
That is possible. Is there anyway to test ? Do you think a trip to my dealer to let him try to flash on a new map is in order ?
He told me that KTM sent him a "custom" map ,(that was previously on my bike.) I did not save it. When I asked him if he could fix my ecu before, when it thought it was a 09 990R and wouldn't even start , he said "sure". But Alain sent me a fix first, so I told dealer Thanks allot, but I'm good now.
The dealer told me he thought the map was "in between" the stock and Akro map. This would be nice to have saved (oops) to compare with the stock and akro maps. 2 things don't make sense however, 1 is why did the dealer think a map in between the other 2 would fix what seemed like fairly major problems ? and 2 why would my ecu act this way when others have not ?

Maybe the damn thing is faulty and has been my problem all along !!??
I spent a lot of time these last few days checking everything on the bike. I can be a rather meticulous mechanic ( some say anal ?) and don't think that I have seen or found anything out of the ordinary. I just wish I knew what the numbers should be on the TuneECU diagnostic and test screens are supposed to be so I can adjust things like the tps properly and "cross" it off the list. If I just had a few extra hundred (thousand ?)bucks laying around !!?
Thanks for the reply
Killer Whale KTM
Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #431
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Ken,
That is possible. Is there anyway to test ? Do you think a trip to my dealer to let him try to flash on a new map is in order ?
He told me that KTM sent him a "custom" map ,(that was previously on my bike.) I did not save it. When I asked him if he could fix my ecu before, when it thought it was a 09 990R and wouldn't even start , he said "sure". But Alain sent me a fix first, so I told dealer Thanks allot, but I'm good now.
The dealer told me he thought the map was "in between" the stock and Akro map. This would be nice to have saved (oops) to compare with the stock and akro maps. 2 things don't make sense however, 1 is why did the dealer think a map in between the other 2 would fix what seemed like fairly major problems ? and 2 why would my ecu act this way when others have not ?

Maybe the damn thing is faulty and has been my problem all along !!??
I spent a lot of time these last few days checking everything on the bike. I can be a rather meticulous mechanic ( some say anal ?) and don't think that I have seen or found anything out of the ordinary. I just wish I knew what the numbers should be on the TuneECU diagnostic and test screens are supposed to be so I can adjust things like the tps properly and "cross" it off the list. If I just had a few extra hundred (thousand ?)bucks laying around !!?
Thanks for the reply
Killer Whale KTM
with the engine at operating temp, you should try to get your front tps to .60 volts. you can get it perfect if you have the paitence. i think that number came from the service manual. ill double check. yep just checked. at idle 0.6 volts

personally i would never use any kind of silicone on the intake side of the engine. just clean it and put it back together dry. if you think you have an intake leak spray some carb cleaner on the suspect area. the engine will let you know. i have heard that the map sensor hoses need to be the same lenght.

twodollardoug screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 08:56 PM
twodollardoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #432
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Thanks Mr. Bubble Head,
To late on the silicone I only used a small amount and was pretty neat with it. I replaced the MAP hoses and made them both the same length, they were not before. How do you know which number on the screen is the front tps ? I'll re-read the TuneECU info and see if it's there. I've had a funny feeling all along that the TPS could be the root of my problems. Maybe when I was doing the SASectomy or fuel pump I bumped it out of adjustment. (but not likely.
Thanks
Killer Whale KTM
Old 02-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #433
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
How do you know which number on the screen is the front tps ?R I'll re-read the TuneECU info and see if it's there. I've had a funny feeling all along that the TPS could be the root of my problems. Maybe when I was doing the SASectomy or fuel pump I bumped it out of adjustment. (but not likely.
Thanks
Killer Whale KTM
On the test tab, where you read the TB hpa, below that is the tps reading for the front tps. (in the latest versions of tuneecu)
It's also on the diagnostics tab but i find it easier to read the TBs and tps all at the same time on the test tab.
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #434
Rideimal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Here's a quote from a thread on adjusting the throttle cables:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
There are no adjustable throttle stops on the Keihin FI. The idle is controlled by a stepper motor. The motor will be set in whatever position it had been when the engine was last shut down. The diagnostic software lets you force the motor to zero for the purpose of adjusting the cables.
So here's my question: is there a command in TuneECU which zeros the stepper motor, or can that only be done with the official diagnostic tool?
Rideimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #435
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Hi Guy's,
I have backfiring in my rear cylinder at idle and low rpm.I hooked up the bike to TuneECU, had the airbox open , then adjusted and ran it. It's not running well. I have no idea how to copy the TuneECU charts but here is what mine reads. I have a 07 990 with fmf mufflers and am running the akro map ( I can't change it for some reason)
off the diagnostics screen;
Ignition impulse 2.0 2.0 at rest
2.48 2.7 running
Manifold pressure
3.47 3.48 at rest
changes wildly while running
Throttle
14.3% 0.60 idle/ 3.69 wide open 0% 0% 0.85 at rest
same 1.00 running idle 0000 2.85v 0.93v at rest
1450 3.04 3.04 running
Ignition
12.0 12.0 at rest
2.0 2.0 running
On the test screen
cyl #1 957 cyl #2 958 at rest

cyl #1 364-373 cyl#2 383-393 running

I can't determine what all of these numbers mean. I read all of the posts and the instructions down loaded from TuneECU. Can anybody tell me which of these numbers is off ? I have NO air leaks in my throttle bodys.What causes a backfire ? To much fuel ? Poorly timed spark ? Why only the rear cylinder ? Could my valves have been set wrong ? or Am I out of adjustment somewhere ?
On the test screen, cyl #1 and #2 (957 and 958 )is my throttle body adjustment right ? And the TPS are my 0.60 at rest and 3.69 wide open right ?
If i'm in adjustment then something else must be wrong. Above 5500rpm it runs normal. Below that sucks. The last time I rode 4500 to 5500 had NOTHING- then at 5500 or so it would take off. Now it dosen't even idle very well. I'm losing my mind.........can someone give me a hand ?
Thanks for your time,
Killer Whale KTM
Jeff