ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #451
the octopus
The Chef

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubblehead View Post
hey octopus. i live in calimesa, next door to yucaipa. i have a cable and a inovate lm-2. the lm-2 is tied up right now (im tuning a car with it) but when i finish with the car im gonna start on my adv. the first thing im going to try is to see if the ob-2 works. if not i will have to hard wire it. im thinking 02 sensor and tps, maybe rpm. but i really dont see a need to read rpm yet.

i will let you guys know if the obII part works and what all it will read. if anything.
After doing a little more research, it doesn't look like the OBDII will pass sensor information. The pinout for the KTM plug shows only three wires being used: +12, K-line (communication with the ECM), and ground. No sensor information should be coming over that K-line, only read/flash EEPROM and diag info. You can check to make sure, but I'm 99% on it. It actually seems like the OBDII part can be deleted completely, and it could be done by directly wiring the KTM diag cable to USB, like we do with the Buell ECM cables. I'm not sure I understand why the OBDII interface is even being used, other than the fact that it's a common interface (like db9 or db25).

Looks like the LM-2, however, has 4 available inputs, which could be used for RPM, TPS, rear O2 and front O2. Record a log, take it to your computer, analyze it with LogWorks in the closed loop region of the map, and then apply changes and flash with TuneECU.
the octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #452
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by the octopus View Post
After doing a little more research, it doesn't look like the OBDII will pass sensor information. The pinout for the KTM plug shows only three wires being used: +12, K-line (communication with the ECM), and ground. No sensor information should be coming over that K-line, only read/flash EEPROM and diag info. You can check to make sure, but I'm 99% on it. It actually seems like the OBDII part can be deleted completely, and it could be done by directly wiring the KTM diag cable to USB, like we do with the Buell ECM cables. I'm not sure I understand why the OBDII interface is even being used, other than the fact that it's a common interface (like db9 or db25).

Looks like the LM-2, however, has 4 available inputs, which could be used for RPM, TPS, rear O2 and front O2. Record a log, take it to your computer, analyze it with LogWorks in the closed loop region of the map, and then apply changes and flash with TuneECU.
what is eeprom?

tuneecu reads the sensors in real time. thats how we adjust our tb's, and tps and such. who knows. ill give it a shot. that would be cool if it will read the sensors. that would make it real easy. no hard wiring involved.

i am new to all of this. so tuning my car with the lm2 is good for me to get learn how to operate it. on my car i am just using rpm and 02 sensor. its a dual weber carb porsche. no tps. its not ideal but it is getting the job done. i will be ready to step up to my F/I adv. one thing i can say is that it is really the only way to get an accurate A/F ratio on any type of engine. unless you are REALLY good at reading plugs. otherwise your just guessing.

i would never attemp to adjust the A/F on my adv without it. in fact i dont know how i have ever got along with out it.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #453
the octopus
The Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubblehead View Post
what is eeprom?

tuneecu reads the sensors in real time. thats how we adjust our tb's, and tps and such. who knows. ill give it a shot. that would be cool if it will read the sensors. that would make it real easy. no hard wiring involved.

i am new to all of this. so tuning my car with the lm2 is good for me to get learn how to operate it. on my car i am just using rpm and 02 sensor. its a dual weber carb porsche. no tps. its not ideal but it is getting the job done. i will be ready to step up to my F/I adv. one thing i can say is that it is really the only way to get an accurate A/F ratio on any type of engine. unless you are REALLY good at reading plugs. otherwise your just guessing.

i would never attemp to adjust the A/F on my adv without it. in fact i dont know how i have ever got along with out it.
I'm still running blind on this, as I haven't even connected to the bike with TuneECU. Are you saying TuneECU has the ability to read sensor data? If so, then you should be able to datalog just fine over the OBDII port without any WB sensors or extra controllers necessary. Let me know if it works, because that means I can rock out with an OT-2 and my iPhone in my pocket (really, it's a tuner's wet dream).

Also, let me know if you need any help. You're not too far away from me.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #454
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid

i will let you know for sure. but i know for sure that it reads the sensors. i have removed my narrow bands and have them turned off via tuneecu. SO i will screw in the wide band to get the 02 readings. i should be able to free up the lm2 soon then we will have some answers. fingers crossed.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #455
the octopus
The Chef

Oh, and an EEPROM is a big set of hex data that the ECM uses to determine all its operating parameters. It's like a big reference document: it houses all the correction parameters, maps, switches, flags, so forth and so on.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #456
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM View Post
Guy's,
Thank you so much for your replies !
All of your suggestions are good. The ecu unplug and the re flash are probably the easiest, while finding someone to check the injectors, the hardest. So I will probably go in that order. I would LOVE to borrow an ecu for a minute because that will immediately tell us if it is a mechanical issue or an electronic one which would be HUGE right now !
Head, since you are looking at my old fuel pump,your thoughts seem very appropriate. It would explain a lot of things. I really like to have an understanding of WHY things happen or are what they are. However at this point....I just want my mean machine back !!
Grinns, thank you again for the offer. I actually tried to call yesterday. Was that you that called back last night ? I'm really sorry I didn't put 2 and 2 together !!
I was not myself though ! I had on 4 layers of clothes and a blanket sitting by the fireplace shivering !! My throat was so sore !!! Even ice water was killing me ! I slept until 10 am this morning. I haven't done that in many years !! I'm feeling a lot better today and might work on the KTM a little bit.
Thanks again to all,
a sick Killer Whale KTM
I thought so, I search weird numbers and it said jasper. I'll give you a call this weekend. I am having a bike greaseathon this week.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #457
ddorrons
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Recent New Owner

Ok guys here is the deal, I will try to be as brief as possible yet explain everything. First off I live in Colombia, south America in a City called Cali which is 300 miles away from the Ktm dealer (which BTW sucks). I bought a second hand Ktm 990 adventure 2006 (I imagine it must be the european version because the US got the 990 in 2007) with 10K Kms. I absolutely love the bike and how with it I can turn any part of the city into a playground. I have the Akras Evo without the inserts and the BMC airfilter. I have not updated or changed the maps since the dealer is too far away and they charge close to USD 250 just to connect the bike to the computer. I am having the following issues with the bike and would like your advice as to how to solve them via TuneEcu.
1. The bike stalls sometimes (it coincides when I down shift, or press the clutch). I have been lucky with this issue except for once when this happened as a I was passing a semi-truck.
2. It backfires
3. Fuel consumption, I am getting at the most 15mpg city and 30mpg Highway.

I have read all the posts regarding these issues even before buying the bike. I decided to "tke the risk" since the KTM brand has no comparison, and it definitely shows when riding with boring friends on their BMW 1200 or 800s.

I hope you guys can help me out with the issue, riding the bike to the dealer in its condition, price tag and roads to it is now worth the risk. Please help.

ddorrons screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 06:16 AM
ddorrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #458
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddorrons View Post
Ok guys here is the deal, I will try to be as brief as possible yet explain everything. First off I live in Colombia, south America in a City called Cali which is 300 miles away from the Ktm dealer (which BTW sucks). I bought a second hand Ktm 990 adventure 2006 (I imagine it must be the european version because the US got the 990 in 2007) with 10K Kms. I absolutely love the bike and how with it I can turn any part of the city into a playground. I have the Akras Evo without the inserts and the BMC airfilter. I have not updated or changed the maps since the dealer is too far away and they charge close to USD 250 just to connect the bike to the computer. I am having the following issues with the bike and would like your advice as to how to solve them via TuneEcu.
1. The bike stalls sometimes (it coincides when I down shift, or press the clutch). I have been lucky with this issue except for once when this happened as a I was passing a semi-truck.
2. It backfires

I have read all the posts regarding these issues even before buying the bike. I decided to "tke the risk" since the KTM brand has no comparison, and it definitely shows when riding with boring friends on their BMW 1200 or 800s.

I hope you guys can help me out with the issue, riding the bike to the dealer in its condition, price tag and roads to it is now worth the risk. Please help.
Welcome to the O.C. and advrider.
It looks like you need to have a cable made and use the TunrECU
software to diagnose you problems.
If you don't like the KTM dealer in Medellin, you might take a road
trip to Bogata and have the dealer there look at it.
I will be riding through Colombia next year on my 990A, we shoud
go for a ride !

Twist it, Max
Old 02-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #459
ddorrons
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Welcome to the O.C. and advrider.
It looks like you need to have a cable made and use the TunrECU
software to diagnose you problems.
If you don't like the KTM dealer in Medellin, you might take a road
trip to Bogata and have the dealer there look at it.
I will be riding through Colombia next year on my 990A, we shoud
go for a ride !

Twist it, Max
Max, thank you for the welcome message. When you decide to come to Colombia PM me and I will show you around. Regarding the dealer, I just do not want to go to it. I believe this is a solution that I can implement with the knowledge base found here and the help of TuneEcu, moreover when the dealer should provide the service free of charge and they are charging a ridiculous sum for it. I was just wondering if someone could give a straight to the point answer as to what to do with the three problems mentioned, although I believe they are directly related to each other. I am thinking in updating the map. I just do not know which version is the correct one according to my setup. I also do not know if the previous owner of the bike updated the stock map, since I read somewhere that after the release of the bike and the complaints, KTM released an update.

Recently I have also started to detect a new symptom which DC1200 described exactly in his post, I will quote his words: "Idles fine, revs fine in neutral, but when riding it sometimes wants to hold the revs up higher, 3/3500ish. Wants to keep driving the bike with the throttle closed, and will very slowly come down as you coast along back to idle (just not as quick as it would usually when shutting off the throttle), but it will drop straight back to idle when the clutch is pulled in. Pretty annoying when coming into corners and stuff... "

Apparently he solved it by updating or changing the map. The only part of my problem which I have not seen a straight Forward answer is the one related to the stalling.

Again, I ask you guys for your help solving this issue. I want to get the bike ready for a long trip through the Andes which involves twisties, change in altitude, off roading and all that the bike asks and begs to be ridden on.
ddorrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #460
wakked1
Aspiring Itinerant

Oddometer: 61
Welcome! For the stalling issue, check out: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485693

My advice to you: given the crap fuel mileage and stalling, I suspect your valves are out of spec. I had a similar problem. Also, look for deposits in the throttle bodies and on the valves. Not sure if its a cause or symptom, but it seems to be related.

Quote:
2. It backfires

wakked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #461
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid

Quote:
Max, thank you for the welcome message. When you decide to come to Colombia PM me and I will show you around. Regarding the dealer, I just do not want to go to it. I believe this is a solution that I can implement with the knowledge base found here and the help of TuneEcu, moreover when the dealer should provide the service free of charge and they are charging a ridiculous sum for it. I was just wondering if someone could give a straight to the point answer as to what to do with the three problems mentioned, although I believe they are directly related to each other. I am thinking in updating the map. I just do not know which version is the correct one according to my setup. I also do not know if the previous owner of the bike updated the stock map, since I read somewhere that after the release of the bike and the complaints, KTM released an update.

Recently I have also started to detect a new symptom which DC1200 described exactly in his post, I will quote his words: "Idles fine, revs fine in neutral, but when riding it sometimes wants to hold the revs up higher, 3/3500ish. Wants to keep driving the bike with the throttle closed, and will very slowly come down as you coast along back to idle (just not as quick as it would usually when shutting off the throttle), but it will drop straight back to idle when the clutch is pulled in. Pretty annoying when coming into corners and stuff... "

Apparently he solved it by updating or changing the map. The only part of my problem which I have not seen a straight Forward answer is the one related to the stalling.

Again, I ask you guys for your help solving this issue. I want to get the bike ready for a long trip through the Andes which involves twisties, change in altitude, off roading and all that the bike asks and begs to be ridden on.
wow, where to start? first thing i would do is a full tune up. plugs, valve adjustment, sync tb's, adjust tps, new air filter. then see if anything changes. i had the stalling issue with my bike-08 990. i bypassed the clutch safety switch and raised the idle to 1600 rpm. and that cured the stalling problem.

as far as mileage, tune it up and report back.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #462
Rideimal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
I had the same problem after I set the TPS incorrectly, but the RPM's were hanging even higher - around 5k. Certainly made for an interesting commute through downtown Austin at rushhour Reset it using TuneECU WITH THE ENGINE HOT - my mistake was to set it with the engine cold, which changes the reading significantly. I have no idea about the rest of the stuff.
Rideimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #463
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Quick bit of info for the folks considering the LM loggers, the direct tach signal on the 990 ECU runs up to 11V and is FM (frequency modulated). It will not feed into a standard LM 0-5V DC signal input logging channel. Innovate has a special cable/input for Tach that is capable of a wide range of signals but has to be programmed/synced with the signal.

Here is the scope trace of the starting diagnostics where the tach sweeps to full then back. You can see the amplitude stays the same but the frequency changes as RPM changes. This video recorded me turning the key on and off twice, with full sweep on the Tach each time.

Tach can also be pulled off the OBDII port as TuneECU and Tuneboy do, but I wasn't running a laptop on the bike between map loads, just the Innovate data logger hard wired to the bike. It's really nice to have RPM along with the O2 and other sensor data tracks being logged, to see what the bikes does at various throttle settings.

Has anyone come up with a good Windows data logging app through the TuneECU cable?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:36 AM   #464
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Has anyone come up with a good Windows data logging app through the TuneECU cable?
That's why i consider the LM2 with a obd2 capability, no need to hard wire any thing.
I'm trying to plan a test at the end month at a inovate dealer and see of this works ok and then will buy one with 2x O2 sensors.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #465
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by the octopus View Post

The last part is right. It is just a way to talk to the ecu. In fact you are asking the ecu to send you the data. It would be pretty easy to write your own datalogger. I thought about doing it, but works busy this time of the year.

I think the data is fast enough for troubleshooting, but not fast enough for tuning. I think Cyborg and Tahoeacr did it the correct way when they tuned there bikes.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote