Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #541
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,496
I'm just saying the solution may be right there in the newer maps and to apply that into the older maps. I'm not trying to brag about my bike, but I know how they well these bikes can work with the right map and how much of the information that is passed around this forum is obsolete for the newer bikes.
I am trying to be helpful with the information that these bikes can free of those complaints and fueling issues and work well. Maybe I'll get banned for not pissing and moaning enough

KTM 2010 990R, 2013 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #542
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,496
I think I'm gonna ban myself for while and go riding instead

KTM 2010 990R, 2013 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #543
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 893
Dusty and Cat...

Both valid points of view...
The first iteration of FI KTMs have some pretty harsh known problems. Lots of improvement has taken place particularly from 2009 onwards, but if Cat's bike runs as well as all that, then it gives some hope that software will fix it all.

My bikes fuelling is not enough of an issue to warrant dumping it for carbs (though that is something I understand better) but it is not anywhere near as good as my FI Ducati of 12 years ago, even in its OEM condition, where it had a flat spot engineered in to pass noise/emissions laws. It was still smooth. Ducati chip and pipes uncorked it - seamless power and 45+ mpg.

If some are having very few problems and others are screaming bloody murder over what are essentially the same engine and management system, and often the same map, maybe the answer is in the fine details - TPS adjustment, faulty sensors, maladjusted throttlebodies.

I can only thank Tom and Alain once again for Tuneecu that allows all these things to be accessed and diagnosed
Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #544
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
Banning, shit if anyone is gunna get banned its probably me. The otherwise was meant to fill in the blank with what ever... like... otherwise bugger off , or whats the point. I am just jealous that you can go for a ride anytime and i get 5 or 6 months. I know you are a champion of defending the FI bikes, and i thank you for that. I got tired of doing it a few years ago. It's just that i don't think was the first time i read this in one of your posts.

My bike has never stalled on me in 30,000 miles and still on the original WP and FP and battery, i think i will run the WP another year, how can that be.

Like RO has stated some bikes may have gotten more attention to detail when setup.

But i digress, this thread is not about how great my bike runs, but how to get the best fueling as possible out of our bikes.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #545
GlobalTech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Finally got my TuneECU cable today through a UK outlet and the only laptop I have running Win7 64bit is a Macbook Pro under Parallels.
Anyhow, installed the Win7 64bit FTDI (D2XX) CDM drivers, set the com settings and all is good!
Read the 990's map, cleared the one error code (SAS) and set the throttle up properly - me likes TuneECU
I can now try another map (Akra maybe) and book some Dyno time for proper customisation!
GlobalTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #546
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Keep us informed, please

BTW, how long did it take to set your throttle - did you check other values - TPS etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTech View Post
Finally got my TuneECU cable today through a UK outlet and the only laptop I have running Win7 64bit is a Macbook Pro under Parallels.
Anyhow, installed the Win7 64bit FTDI (D2XX) CDM drivers, set the com settings and all is good!
Read the 990's map, cleared the one error code (SAS) and set the throttle up properly - me likes TuneECU
I can now try another map (Akra maybe) and book some Dyno time for proper customisation!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #547
Suncruiser
and Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Deactivate Immobilizer

I too would like to know if there's a way to deactivate the immobilizer function in the ECU or otherwise. had too much trouble with it and now I'm conscious of the potential problem all the time. thanx.
2010 Adventure 990 R
Suncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #548
Tom-Hamburg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
TuneECUv1.8.9 now released

06-04-11 TuneECUv1.8.9 now released

* Ability to disable ISC on Street Triple
* Limit value editing tables I increased (Triumph)

BR, Tom
Triumph Rocket Roadster
Tom-Hamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #549
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Well i finally got to go for a ride today with the Arka map from Nils and it was rather nice. I was thinking it was going to be a gas guzzler, but it wasn't to bad, managed 39.6 mpg on a 110 mile 80 percent on the dirt roads trying to make the light come on. The one thing i did notice right off was that i felt like i could lug the bike in a taller gear and it pulled nice down low. Putted around on some hilly sandy tree lined river bottoms in the first few gears. Rolled into town in sixth gear below 4000 rpm and it just chugged along nicely.

Next up i am going to put my stock map back in and disable the o2's and see what that feels like and how it affects my range. Just cause i can...

loving this software.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #550
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Thats great to hear!

40 mpg on dirt sounds pretty good - I was led to believe the Akro map might cut 10 mpg off...although is this the standard open pipe map, or one that Nils has "played" with? How does that compare with mileage with your OEM map?
How is your bike modified Dusty...pipes? Pre-cleaner? G2 throttle, etc?
I have asked a few times if anyone is having much success at fine tuning the maps - I guess I was figuring that somewhere between the standard and the Akro map, nirvana might be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Well i finally got to go for a ride today with the Arka map from Nils and it was rather nice. I was thinking it was going to be a gas guzzler, but it wasn't to bad, managed 39.6 mpg on a 110 mile 80 percent on the dirt roads trying to make the light come on. The one thing i did notice right off was that i felt like i could lug the bike in a taller gear and it pulled nice down low. Putted around on some hilly sandy tree lined river bottoms in the first few gears. Rolled into town in sixth gear below 4000 rpm and it just chugged along nicely.

Next up i am going to put my stock map back in and disable the o2's and see what that feels like and how it affects my range. Just cause i can...

loving this software.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #551
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

The Arka map i used was on the TuneECU site, it looked to be the closest fit, don't think it has been modified.

Mods...
Ti Arka's with DB's killers in...(just put the dual cans back on)
Secondary flies removed
G2 sitting in a box on the shelf, same with the prefilter.
Full ectomies.

as for the stock map i had in with the single can and no DB killers in with a load was around 43 and unloaded 45 was pretty consistent.

Quote:
I guess I was figuring that somewhere between the standard and the Akro map, nirvana might be found.
Yep i think that also... The Arka map looks like it put a lot more fuel in the higher rpm range when compairing the 2 maps, which i dont think i need... But There might be some values in the small opening in throttle position and lower RPM's on the Arka map that might get copied and pasted into the stock map. I definitely need to spend more time comparing the 2.

Dusty screwed with this post 04-06-2011 at 11:07 PM
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #552
GlobalTech
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
BTW, how long did it take to set your throttle - did you check other values - TPS etc?
Only adjusted the throttle cable slack, since I fitted a G2 and it didn't feel right until I zeroed the stepper in TuneECU.

My plan for next week is to check TBS, maybe try an Akra map for a few days, look at the effect on MPG, put the std map back in and maybe adjust secondaries (add a few % open at low RPM) and try tweaking the low rpm fueling.

I'll then see how she runs on the road and keep some notes!

GlobalTech screwed with this post 04-07-2011 at 12:20 AM
Old 04-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #553
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

i am all ears

Have my cable, tuneecu, hunting steady throttle and the usual flatspot, plus newly fitted 2-1 remus TI, just need to start playing. I really appreciate you guys sharing!
Old 04-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #554
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
That's what we need!

This thread is starting to get interesting again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post

loving this software.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #555
GlobalTech
Adventurer

Before loading the Akra map tonight on my 09 Adv, I did a quick analysis of F and L tables on various models/maps in order to see if there's any correlation between poor MPG and earlier EFi models.

Surprisingly, comparing the 07-08 maps (standard v Akra), there's an average of 5% higher values between F tables with a peak increase of 15% at 6000rpm .

With the 09 maps (standard v Akra), there's an average of 1.7% higher values between F tables with a peak of only 6% at 8500rpm.

A quick scour across OC suggests that poor MPG (using the Akra map) seems to be more prevalent amongst pre 09 model owners, while some 09 owners aren't noticing such a drop in MPG.

So have KTM tweaked the 09 Akra map to not hit MPG so much?

I guess now I have the Akra map loaded, I'll be able see for myself.

Note: I'm comparing EU maps which I understand are designated a year in front of US maps e.g 09EU = 10US

RR - Two weeks Touring Scotland