Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #736
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,619
The HP will not win any prizes but the front wheel can be lofted at ease so I'm happy...A/F is my question...shop spoke of motor longevity, cool running, etc etc....ya, 30 mpg sucks but its consistent running loaded, windy, dirt, street....I'm in the, if it ain't broken don't fix it camp.......

Should I, Could I expect similiar performance with better mileage????
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #737
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,519
Yes

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #738
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 926
I agree with you

...despite my comment about the HP - I would much rather have smooth running down low. As Cat said though, very succinctly, many are finding the secret to a smooth running bike and mpg in the forties, and some of the late models are getting that out of the box with no mods. Mine gets in the low to mid forties on the highway with loaded Jesse boxes and the stock pipes, but it suffers the herky jerky a little and this rough running at 3-4000 rpm is even more noticeable with the 2-1 and remus can I have now...maybe because I can hear it better. No idea what the mileage is with the new pipe yet.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #739
teti
especie en extincion

Oddometer: 143
I just install leovince 2 in 1 and load map Akra 990 R, really there is very similar to the original escape and original map difference, not be to tell a bench test but I do not notice anything different.
teti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #740
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Michhub,
You went to the dyno and you didn't tune? That is the leanest Akra map I have ever seen. They should have had the scale at RPM not speed. Who gives a crap about speed. Looking at some of my graphs with the stock cams it looks close enough were you can add fuel off of that. Are you game to try it? That is only a wide open run so if you add fuel at 80 and 100%TPS it will just be better for the engine and pull harder but not effect the mpg or snatch.
Max hp is at 12.8. You barely touch 13 once. I would be thinking your rear cylinder is running too hot. Remember, they stuck the probe up a 2-1. They should have run a 15 and 20% tps pull then you would see 12's probably and the reason for your 30mpgs.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #741
Michhub
Major Medical

Thanks Tahoecr...I really do not understand all of the factors involved with proper fueling.
I wanted to know where I was after simply loading the Akra map. I'm game to try and improve
it but I need a better understanding of what/where to make changes. Unforetunately, that shop
charged $80 just for that 'baseline' A/F run (which turns out is pretty useless) so tuning with
them would break my wallet plus they really did not want to hear about TuneECU...

Would the Wideband probes for realtime A/F meter kits fit in the stock bung?
*Edit* Seeing as Innovate sells 12mm to 18mm adapters I suspect the answer is no

I have been looking at something like the one from NGK. Ultimately the LM-2 by Innovate would be a great tool but is the cost leader.
My thought is to mount a realtime sensor, ride around at various rpm's take notes and then repeat for the other cylinder.
Of course switching the sensor from cylinder to cylinder could be a pain and I don't really know if I can simply unplug the currently
dis-abled probes from the ECU without some sort of eliminator? I need a project and have convinced myself this is going to be it.
Bonsai Elephant - "

Michhub screwed with this post 05-06-2011 at 08:35 AM
Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #742
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Thanks Tahoecr...I really do not understand all of the factors involved with proper fueling.
I wanted to know where I was after simply loading the Akra map. I'm game to try and improve
it but I need a better understanding of what/where to make changes. Unforetunately, that shop
charged $80 just for that 'baseline' A/F run (which turns out is pretty useless) so tuning with
them would break my wallet plus they really did not want to hear about TuneECU...

Would the Wideband probes for realtime A/F meter kits fit in the stock bung?
*Edit* Seeing as Innovate sells 12mm to 18mm adapters I suspect the answer is no

I have been looking at something like the one from NGK. Ultimately the LM-2 by Innovate would be a great tool but is the cost leader.
My thought is to mount a realtime sensor, ride around at various rpm's take notes and then repeat for the other cylinder.
Of course switching the sensor from cylinder to cylinder could be a pain and I don't really know if I can simply unplug the currently
dis-abled probes from the ECU without some sort of eliminator? I need a project and have convinced myself this is going to be it.
$80 for one run. Ouch. I get two hours exclusive time for $150. Then again, maybe he knows I'm repeat business so he cuts me alot of slack. If you are familiar with the software I will tell you where to change things. If you get a wide-band you can tune the closed loop so you should leave the stock 0-2 sensors there and just weld extra bungs. Switching the sensor from cylinder to cylinder takes less than 10 minutes. When I get time in the next couple days I will post up what to change so everyone can get a small idea of how to tune.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #743
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 926
(Rubbing hands together)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
$80 for one run. Ouch. I get two hours exclusive time for $150. Then again, maybe he knows I'm repeat business so he cuts me alot of slack. If you are familiar with the software I will tell you where to change things. If you get a wide-band you can tune the closed loop so you should leave the stock 0-2 sensors there and just weld extra bungs. Switching the sensor from cylinder to cylinder takes less than 10 minutes. When I get time in the next couple days I will post up what to change so everyone can get a small idea of how to tune.
Excellent!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #744
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Advice please

I have conected Tune ECU to my bike, looked at the different dials do their thing when you twist the throttle etc. (motor off) saved the bikes current map etc - but made no known changes to maps (download etc). Put the bike away.

Today I decided to check the throttle bodies are synced, hooked up the computer and hit the start button - well it now idles at over 4K!!!!

Same happens disconnected.

I have done an 'Idle Speed Control' check under 'Tests' - no difference.....
Is there another reset?

This was the first time starting the bike since hooking up/playing with Tune ECU - any ideas what I might have done?

Here's a pic of the map page - it should have a standard Akra map for a 2007......

Thanks

Edit - Just reconnected and FI light on the dash is now blinking at me........(only error on Tune ECU is PO113 - I think that this has always showed since first connect).

KTM Pilot screwed with this post 05-08-2011 at 01:45 AM
KTM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #745
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Update

Ok, I clicked the 'Adjust throttle cable' option - this time with the airbox lid/filter off. The cable is slack. Restart and idling like normal. (I'm not sure this actually fixed anything).

The 'FI' light keeps flashing though - Connected or disconnected to software.
Any ideas on how to reset this? I selected 'Erase error codes' but this made no difference.
I have not ridden anywhere yet - but do a have a 3-day ride next weekend so keen to fix this!

Thanks in advance....

KTM Pilot screwed with this post 05-08-2011 at 02:48 AM
KTM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:24 AM   #746
Oli990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Maybe you still have the temperature sensor on the top off the airboxcover disconnected because this will cause the FI light to flash
Oli990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:35 AM   #747
shootis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli990 View Post
Maybe you still have the temperature sensor on the top off the airboxcover disconnected because this will cause the FI light to flash
And that is the error you will get, just re connect with everything in place and clear the error.
shootis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #748
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Pilot View Post
Ok, I clicked the 'Adjust throttle cable' option - this time with the airbox lid/filter off. The cable is slack. Restart and idling like normal. (I'm not sure this actually fixed anything).

The 'FI' light keeps flashing though - Connected or disconnected to software.
Any ideas on how to reset this? I selected 'Erase error codes' but this made no difference.
I have not ridden anywhere yet - but do a have a 3-day ride next weekend so keen to fix this!

Thanks in advance....
What is the flash code?
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #749
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks

Yeah, the cover was sitting on the floor and disconnected!!!

The error code is 'PO113 Inlet air temperature sensor open circuit or short cicuit to battery' - but this error has been displayed everytime.

Too late to start and road test, but will do tomorrow after work.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootis View Post
And that is the error you will get, just re connect with everything in place and clear the error.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #750
Michhub
Major Medical

Anybody actually use an LM-2

So, a new Innovate LM-2 is on the way...I know motorcycle guys do use this kit...couple of questions.

1 - Will I be able to use the TuneECU cable to LM-2 and pull the data off OBD-II style or will I have to hard wire?

I plan on using a 12mm to 18mm adapter like this this:

2 - Any issues with that adapter not getting the sensor into the exhaust 'stream' or actually fitting in the confined spaces? It would be much easier for me not to have to weld new bungs in...as I have no welder...nor skills to do so.

3 - For those who have done it, it looks to be a right tank removal job to get to the front cylinder sensor? Am I wrong? No big deal except for those damn crash bars

All this so I can actually use TuneECU to get things right
Bonsai Elephant - "