Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #976
Perstockholm
Adventure rider

Oddometer: 21
Made my first tests with the TuneECU on my 990R -10, and it seem to work well and easy.
Wanted to test "remove" of 2:nd throttle by setting to 100% in all places instead of using screwdriver :-), but now afterward I'm not sure the result is really what I wanted: This motor is so responsive (a good thing I guess) and with the secondary’s always 100% open it is even more responsive! This is good for traction days, but I do gravel or slippery mud roads most. When doing those small bumpy tracks I have same problem as most everyone, the jerky first % of throttle, and this do not help out :-( , before I tried this I installed the G2 throttle cam, first tried 400 cam and it is really smooth and do show how really precise the injection works, but I was newer able to adjust the cable properly, the adjustment screws on cable was not long enough to take out the slack, so now I try the 200 cam and that was good to adjust, but I'm not sure it is slow enough for me in beginning of throttle turn.
When running the diagnostic I find out that the first percentage of throttle movement do tremendous lot on motor RPM and on bumpy track I will not be able to hold the grip steady enough, so my new thought is to make a “slow” map, where 2:nd throttle only open 1% up to 10% throttle and maybe 4k RPM and slowly increase up to 50% throttle and then go fast up to 100%. Any one that have tried this way to tame the wild beast? I really don’t miss any power in the low end.
/Per
Perstockholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #977
Radu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Hi Maybe you guys can help me.

2007 990 adv with Wings pipes , large inserts and stock map
24,000 miles on the clock.

I took a cross country trip last year (8000 miles) and the bike ran flawless. Got home and did a valve check, oil, etc. Bike starts and idles perfect. However, when you run the throttle past idle it starts to vibrate and gets worse around 4500 rpm+ . The bike also gets hotter quicker than it used to and takes longer to cool down (while riding). The plugs look a little too clean . I have a feeling it's running very lean. Did I screw something up with the throttle or tps while working in there ? You guys mentioned that it has 2 fuel maps which change with manifold pressure and tps . Is it possible that it's only running on one map and not getting enough fuel through the rest of the rpm range ?

Any info or help would be appreciated.

I have the ECU patch cable on order.

Thanks Matt
Radu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #978
AlphaTera
990rider

Oddometer: 89
50/50 Stock/Akra MAP

In an attempt to split the difference between the super juicy Akra map and the bone dry stock map I have created a custom MAP that is right between the stock US2007-08 map and the US AKRA map. Each cell has been adjusted to the nearest % (rounded) to be right between the originals. I have adjusted the F1, F2, L1, L2 maps. The I1, I2, I1lof, I2lof, 2nd throttle and F-L switch have not been changed. The SAI, EPC and O2 have been disabled. Testing on 2007, FMFQ4's, no epc/sai.

If anyone wants to test this map PM me with your email address
Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #979
Sapling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaTera View Post
In an attempt to split the difference between the super juicy Akra map and the bone dry stock map I have created a custom MAP that is right between the stock US2007-08 map and the US AKRA map. Each cell has been adjusted to the nearest % (rounded) to be right between the originals. I have adjusted the F1, F2, L1, L2 maps. The I1, I2, I1lof, I2lof, 2nd throttle and F-L switch have not been changed. The SAI, EPC and O2 have been disabled. Testing on 2007, FMFQ4's, no epc/sai.

Pm sent...

I have the exact same setup.
Sapling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #980
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,706
I have the following understanding:

If O2 sensors are disabled, then the F and L maps are used as on the maps. So no adjustments are made, so the mixture is not leaned out when travelling in constant speed, nor richened if found lean when accelarating. So the clever part of the FI system is blocked. Is that the general consensus?
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #981
AlphaTera
990rider

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
If O2 sensors are disabled, then the F and L maps are used as on the maps. So no adjustments are made, so the mixture is not leaned out when travelling in constant speed, nor richened if found lean when accelarating. So the clever part of the FI system is blocked. Is that the general consensus?
Not sure if that is advantageous. I always considered the o2's to be there because of the cats. The akra map from KTM has the o2's disabled. Wouldn't you want an accurate fuel flow to be controlled by a proper mixture curve (based on rpm and throttle for the F maps and based on pressure and rpm for the L maps)?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #982
ProblemChild
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
PM sent

Quote:

Old 06-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #983
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:

PM sent.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #984
ÖÖ.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perstockholm View Post
.... my new thought is to make a “slow” map, where 2:nd throttle only open 1% up to 10% throttle and maybe 4k RPM and slowly increase up to 50% throttle and then go fast up to 100%. Any one that have tried this way to tame the wild beast? I really don’t miss any power in the low end.
That could be interesting to test. Please report how it runs if you try it.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #985
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,706
Do we know as a fact that stock map is too lean?

Quote:
In an attempt to split the difference between the super juicy Akra map and the bone dry stock map I have created a custom MAP that is right between the stock US2007-08 map and the US AKRA map.
I am trying to increase milleage so I hope I can lean the stock map somewhere it counts. Why do you think stock map is too lean?
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #986
Tom-Hamburg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
TuneECUv1.9.6 now released

06-22-11 TuneECUv1.9.6 now released

* A few minor bug fixes.

BR, Tom
Triumph Rocket Roadster
Tom-Hamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #987
Perstockholm
Adventure rider

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ÖÖ. View Post
That could be interesting to test. Please report how it runs if you try it.
Made the map, used 990R EU Acra map as base and realy smoothed out the beginning a lot, had a short test today and it seem to be good so far. Will do a loong test 8 days/3000km trip beginning tomorrow in Norway mountains, so then I can say for sure it is working !
/Per
Perstockholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #988
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
If it was running good before the valve check, I would suspect something was re-assembled incorrectly afterwards. Look for intake/vacuum leaks at the manifold boots or one of the vacuum lines coming loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
Hi Maybe you guys can help me.

2007 990 adv with Wings pipes , large inserts and stock map
24,000 miles on the clock.

I took a cross country trip last year (8000 miles) and the bike ran flawless. Got home and did a valve check, oil, etc. Bike starts and idles perfect. However, when you run the throttle past idle it starts to vibrate and gets worse around 4500 rpm+ . The bike also gets hotter quicker than it used to and takes longer to cool down (while riding). The plugs look a little too clean . I have a feeling it's running very lean. Did I screw something up with the throttle or tps while working in there ? You guys mentioned that it has 2 fuel maps which change with manifold pressure and tps . Is it possible that it's only running on one map and not getting enough fuel through the rest of the rpm range ?

Any info or help would be appreciated.

I have the ECU patch cable on order.

Thanks Matt

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #989
Duc9R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:

PM Sent

Gone: 2007 990 Adv, 2009 950 SE R Erzberg, 2005 999R, 2008 1098R, 2011 F1098S
Duc9R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #990
kevxtx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perstockholm View Post
Made my first tests with the TuneECU on my 990R -10, and it seem to work well and easy.
Wanted to test "remove" of 2:nd throttle by setting to 100% in all places instead of using screwdriver :-), but now afterward I'm not sure the result is really what I wanted: This motor is so responsive (a good thing I guess) and with the secondary’s always 100% open it is even more responsive! This is good for traction days, but I do gravel or slippery mud roads most. When doing those small bumpy tracks I have same problem as most everyone, the jerky first % of throttle, and this do not help out :-( , before I tried this I installed the G2 throttle cam, first tried 400 cam and it is really smooth and do show how really precise the injection works, but I was newer able to adjust the cable properly, the adjustment screws on cable was not long enough to take out the slack, so now I try the 200 cam and that was good to adjust, but I'm not sure it is slow enough for me in beginning of throttle turn.
When running the diagnostic I find out that the first percentage of throttle movement do tremendous lot on motor RPM and on bumpy track I will not be able to hold the grip steady enough, so my new thought is to make a “slow” map, where 2:nd throttle only open 1% up to 10% throttle and maybe 4k RPM and slowly increase up to 50% throttle and then go fast up to 100%. Any one that have tried this way to tame the wild beast? I really don’t miss any power in the low end.
/Per
Wow that was a big read, very interesting.

I have also being playing with my 990 SMR's fuelling using Tune ECU & my Wide Band Dynojet Commander. I have been able to data log & read real time A/F ratio which has helped me get the fuelling better on my SMR.

What I did was to turn off the O2 sensors with a 15min reset, turn off the F/L switch above 2400rpm & to build the F maps on both cylinders using my wide band commander. Once I was happy with the F maps I connected a vacuum gauge, turned the L maps back on & started to map vacuum against RPM verse A/F ratio, I am still working on most of the areas, but the fuelling is so much better overall so far.

This is a re-run off me data logging between 3500rpm & 4500rpm, I used the spreed sheet to fine tune the A/F ratio.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KevXTX#p/a/u/0/Vnyb3PCr0SA
kevxtx is offline   Reply With Quote