Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #1066
Helios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
So I have been running the stock mapping with the O2's disabled for several months now - including a trip from SF to Seattle and back. The results are very positive, but as commented above in this thread I have NEVER even come close to 40MPG. In fact on my 2,300 RT trip to Seattle and back I was at best averaging 35.

So, anyway, has anyone tried the AKRO map with the O2 sensors ON? (those that have aftermarket cans like me)

I am thinking, what the heck - can't hurt nothin. When I ran the AKRO map prior, the bike ran great, smelled rich, and got 32 MPG average!! (about 8 months ago I used it for a few tanks then said wow - 32 MPG X $4.79 per gallon = )
Yes I have been running the Akro map with the 02's enabled, in fact the dealer installed it that way and I have been getting 38-40mpg in town driving and 40-42 off road putting around here in Idaho..

-H

~ Thomas Jefferson

2010 KTM 990 ADV
2003 YAMAHA WR450F
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #1067
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
So I have been running the stock mapping with the O2's disabled for several months now - including a trip from SF to Seattle and back. The results are very positive, but as commented above in this thread I have NEVER even come close to 40MPG. In fact on my 2,300 RT trip to Seattle and back I was at best averaging 35.

So, anyway, has anyone tried the AKRO map with the O2 sensors ON? (those that have aftermarket cans like me)

I am thinking, what the heck - can't hurt nothin. When I ran the AKRO map prior, the bike ran great, smelled rich, and got 32 MPG average!! (about 8 months ago I used it for a few tanks then said wow - 32 MPG X $4.79 per gallon = )
Akra's + Db-killer and Akra mapping with O2 enabled but the MPG still isn't great: between 30-37MPG
Old 07-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #1068
chewbacca2264
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Originally Posted by chrish4ku

Yup 2008 with Akra Map and FMF Q4's and O2 sensors enabled. Mileage has varied a bit but my last three tanks have all been 41-43 mpg, with O2's off I was getting 33-36. Been doing a bit of highway and have the 16 tooth front on, gonna toss the 17 back on when I swap out the stockers for Trail Attacks as I spend so much damn time on the highway I might as well maximize mpg!

Tim
Old 07-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #1069
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Yup 2008 with Akra Map and FMF Q4's and O2 sensors enabled. Mileage has varied a bit but my last three tanks have all been 41-43 mpg, with O2's off I was getting 33-36. Been doing a bit of highway and have the 16 tooth front on, gonna toss the 17 back on when I swap out the stockers for Trail Attacks as I spend so much damn time on the highway I might as well maximize mpg!

I may try this then, over this weekend. Hopefully the 4K gap doesn't return as the throttle response has been quite smooth with the stock map and O2 disabled. If I can get 38-40 MPG I'll throw a party in my garage with free beer....
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #1070
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Hello Wayne,

I am wondering what your thoughts are on the Bazzaz systems. It seems that they are about to release a version for the LC8 motor as mentioned elsewhere in the OC forum. I've read glowing reports on this and another forum on the Bazzaz units, but wonder if the it's self tuning capabilities are all that, or still need careful setting up on a dyno as you might using Tuneecu.

Is the hardware expense a benefit to those who do not have a access to a tuner or dyno over the Tuneecu maps uploaded to ones ECU?

thanks for your insight
Stephan
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #1071
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxersteph View Post
Hello Wayne,

I am wondering what your thoughts are on the Bazzaz systems. It seems that they are about to release a version for the LC8 motor as mentioned elsewhere in the OC forum. I've read glowing reports on this and another forum on the Bazzaz units, but wonder if the it's self tuning capabilities are all that, or still need careful setting up on a dyno as you might using Tuneecu.

Is the hardware expense a benefit to those who do not have a access to a tuner or dyno over the Tuneecu maps uploaded to ones ECU?

thanks for your insight
Stephan
Maybe this gives you some answers
tahoeacr gives some experience about a PC3 with a custom mapping in the following post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=47
but the behavior will be similar with a bazzaz and a custom tune... no adjust in closed loop area at high altitude
Old 07-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #1072
MrLebowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Hello all,

I've taken the plunge and started altering some 990a maps via TuneECU. The Akro map was giving me the best drivablity. It's flat spot was less pronounced and the jerkiness was about the same as stock (in an earlier post I said that the jerk was improved, it was actually placebo)... So I started w/ the akro map since it was slighter better.

First thing I did was lean out the F tables below 3500rpm transitioning smoothly until it was just a bit richer than stock.
Test ride = ho hum. Not much to see here.

2nd thing I did was to lean out the L tables below 420 hpa. again transitioning smoothly.
Test ride = a noticeable improvement in jerkiness. Albeit throttle still abrupt when going from off to 2% below 3500rpm. But the good news is, as long as the throttle isn't completely chopped it's smoother.

3rd thing, was to turn the O2 sensors on as I had read the recent posts above. I also moved the F-L switch a bit lower.
Test Ride = this ride was more than just a tank. I did 2 days and 430 miles. Big mileage increase! Before I was averaging mid 30's mpg. My first tank was 49 mpg! second was 48! Third was 40... If you've ridden the Chief Joseph trail on a weekday you know why . Then I forgot to calculate the next one. Of coarse my good numbers are at the speed limit - 65 @ 3900rpm. My wife was riding a DR and it's indicated 75mph is actually 68mph. So I was riding within the limits of the Suzuki. But still much better than before. Oh and my speedo is set to 19" wheel so maybe add 1 or 2 mpg to that.That would be the magic 50mpg .

In conclustion, The throttle is still to abrupt from 0 to 1% or 2% at anything under 3500rpm. But I can cruise along in town at 30-45mph w/out the bike lurching back and forth. Flat spot between about 3800 and 4100rpm is still there but it's tolerable to me. Not nearly as bad as the Stock map. I'm not getting any deceleration popping either.

Bike specs - 08 990a, akros w/ inserts. Running 91 octane (w/out ethanol) at an elevation of 5k and up (I also fill the wife's bike first to purge any low octane stuff the last driver filled up with ). Stock gearing. I'm using U.S. gallons.
MrLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #1073
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
Maybe this gives you some answers
tahoeacr gives some experience about a PC3 with a custom mapping in the following post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=47
but the behavior will be similar with a bazzaz and a custom tune... no adjust in closed loop area at high altitude
It did and it did not. Seems to me that any and all of these systems, Bazzaz, Power Commander etc., in their base form are no more capable than a good tuner using Tuneecu. Either way someone who knows what they are doing needs to program any of the aforementioned.
The TC function is certainly cool, but still more cost over the base version. I think most of us would be happy to have engines that run properly. To that end I've installed a custom map on my Superduke that has taken care of the driveability issues using the Tuneecu.
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #1074
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxersteph View Post
It did and it did not. Seems to me that any and all of these systems, Bazzaz, Power Commander etc., in their base form are no more capable than a good tuner using Tuneecu. Either way someone who knows what they are doing needs to program any of the aforementioned.
The TC function is certainly cool, but still more cost over the base version. I think most of us would be happy to have engines that run properly. To that end I've installed a custom map on my Superduke that has taken care of the driveability issues using the Tuneecu.
I agree and given what we now about the differences in our (same) injectors from Power-Tripp, the TuneECU approach will likely be better once we all learn how to do it.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #1075
pyarnall
Adventurer reborn

Oddometer: 24
'10 990A w FMFs & Akra map

I put about 3500 miles on my 990 with the FMF Q4s and bone stock mapping. Mileage was low to high 40s with stock gearing. Drive-ability at low rpms, around town, etc, was the well known typical... terrible. Seemed OK at speed but had nothing to compare to. Did not run badly would be another way of putting it. Installed a Tamer. A very modest help. Over a season I guess I got better at controlling the twitchy throttle. I always felt 'annoyed' at the engine.

Got TuneECU. (Thank you, Thank you, Alain!) Installed the Akra map, with O2 sensors 'on'. (Also removed SAS and EPC). Huge improvement in every way, though not perfect. Just installed new set of Heidenau Scouts and bumped counter shaft sprocket to 17. (Taller gearing changed the bike for me... so much nicer "road-ability"). On recent trip of 420 miles over a couple of days in central PA hills and Southern Tier NY, (back roads, gravel roads, mixed speeds, aggressive truck passing when needed, etc),... 38, 39, and 42 mpg. Not great, not terrible. I know it can be better, (and would like it higher).

Though much improved there are still issues at and slightly off idle. In the extreme hot weather last week the bike quit several times at traffic lights in busy traffic. Not good. Annoying as hell. Dangerous even. On second day it never repeated that. How do you address erratic behavior?

I am only offering my experience to date.

I would GLADLY pay Power Tripp for a 'base' map emphasizing overall "driveability" and good mileage at steady state 4K rpm. I know that with the variability of injectors, (that was an eye opener), such a map would necessarily be on the rich side for caution, but given that the bike improved so much just going to another oem map, I am certain that a map generated by someone with Power Tripps skills and resources would be another big step forward and present minimal risk to the typical engine. (Power Tripp, if you read this, feel free to PM me and name your price!)

I have checked the TB sensor values and all are good. Can anyone tell me how to use TuneECU to sync the throttle bodies? Since basically none of the test functions are working in TuneECU I can only guess that I should try to get the hPa values to be the same while the engine is idling with TuneECU hooked up and playing with the sync adjustment screw as shown in some pics earlier in this thread. At idle the values are 356 and 380. It has always felt to me like one cylinder is "lazy" at idle, maybe this is why?

Any comments appreciated.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #1076
shootis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
TB sync

This is from early in this thread, this worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideimal View Post
Sounds like you and I are having similar problems. I'd love to use TuneECU to rework maps and such, but right now I just want to understand the basics. Unfortunately I haven't found much along those lines. (Links?)

I was able to balance the throttle bodies today; here's what I did:

(1) remove the seat, glove compartment plastics, top of the airbox, and the air filter

(2) open TuneECU and hook up the bike to you laptop. The the connector is under the seat in the compartment with the ABS pump. Start the bike and make sure that your computer is able to talk to the ECU.

(3) click the 'Tests' icon in the upper-right of the screen. You'll see three small gauges on the left and one on the right. The ones you want to watch are the top and middle gauges on the left labeled 'x10 hPa'. Your bike needs to be running at this point.

(4) the goal is to get the readings to be as close as possible. To be clear: the absolute numbers registering don't matter, they just need to be the same (or really close?).

(5) adjustments are made by turning the screw found to the left of the throttle bodies, facing up, with some springs attached to it - it should be pretty obvious. Just make small changes until you get the readings that you want.

That's it for adjusting the throttle bodies - now you need to check the throttle position sensor. It would be great if someone would post an idiot-proof guide to doing that. Anyone?
shootis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #1077
pyarnall
Adventurer reborn

Oddometer: 24
Thanks, Shootis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootis View Post
This is from early in this thread, this worked for me.
Sorry I did not catch this myself.... such a huge thread. Seems I was on the right track. This will be on the morning to do list. It will be interesting to see if the idle smooths out and maybe some higher rpm vibs... not sure how significant a difference of 20-30 hPa is.

Thanks for the extra eyes, Shootis.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #1078
Sacal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Question

Got my cable now Mainly got it so I can adjust the throttle cables, check errors and other service related stuff without taking the bike to the stealer.

Quick question though....does anyone have a 2010 990A with the 2011 map installed? Notice any difference? I checked them side by side and noticed KTM added fuel on the 2011.

Also noticed the difference between the standard and R map is the fully opened secondary butterflies at the high end of the rev range....is that all I need to update or is there something i'm missing?

I have read the whole thread and been following since the first post....thought a double check would be wise before I grenade the engine

Thanks in advance for any answers....cool software, great thread!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:18 AM   #1079
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacal View Post
Quick question though....does anyone have a 2010 990A with the 2011 map installed? Notice any difference? I checked them side by side and noticed KTM added fuel on the 2011.
Is the 2011 map on the site now? Didnt see it in the list. Where is the added fuel (rpm? map?)

RoundOz screwed with this post 07-26-2011 at 06:22 AM Reason: Did my own checking on site
RoundOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #1080
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,374
I'd like to see the 2011 map as well.

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote