Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 05:43 AM   #1096
Power-Tripp
Speed Savant

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijuana_Taxi View Post
Thank you so much for doing this! I have an 07 so it won't help mine but it will be nice to be able to see the changes you have made in comparison to the stock map to give me some idea of how it is accomplished.
Just trying to help.
I figure these two maps should be a good start for the two more common exhaust configurations.

Take a good look at the ignition tables, as well as the F_L Switch, and secondary throttle tables.
Power-Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #1097
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,406
Thanks! I'm looking forward to doing a comparison!

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #1098
Audiholic
Bring extra socks...

Oddometer: 24
OBDII connection

Just picked up a new to me '07 ADV 990 and I'm getting up to speed to get this machine dialed in.

Started by making an OBDII adapter cable:

However, I had no idea where the connector actually was on the bike. Once I found it under the seat, in the ABS box I thought, what a PITA so I came up with the solution of putting an OBDII connector in the glove box.

I also found a handy dust cover for the connector

Time to get busy doing some engine calibration!

Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #1099
Power-Tripp
Speed Savant

Very nice ODBII adapter. Well fitted, and designed.

Now, to really add to this:

Look into the Torque app for smart phones - designed by Ian Hawkins. Since you now have an OBDII connector, and you are using the VAG OBDII protocol, you can now use the Torque app and a bluetooth ELM327 adapter for a wireless connection to monitor your sensors and performance, or connect to the ECU.

The best bluetooth ELM327 adapter I have used (at a reasonable price) is the ones made by Vgate, and sold on ebay, or from a few other suppliers on the 'net.

[This works for cars/trucks as well. ;) ]

I hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #1100
Power-Tripp
Speed Savant

Tom has the maps available on his site (TuneECU.com)... THANKS Tom!

What you will notice in doing map comparisons:
Every table has been mapped.
The Fueling is changed in both the F and L tables for each cylinder.
The F_L Switch points have been altered to maximize the above.
The ignition tables have been mapped to enhance output, as well as improve smoothness and transient response.
Rev limit is altered for improved over-rev, and mapped further as well.
More.

The rider of the Wings 201 exhaust equipped bike is reporting improved mileage on his return from AL to FL. (Perhaps we can get Dave to post up soon.)
Old 08-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #1101
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power-Tripp View Post
Very nice ODBII adapter. Well fitted, and designed.

Now, to really add to this:

Look into the Torque app for smart phones - designed by Ian Hawkins. Since you now have an OBDII connector, and you are using the VAG OBDII protocol, you can now use the Torque app and a bluetooth ELM327 adapter for a wireless connection to monitor your sensors and performance, or connect to the ECU.

The best bluetooth ELM327 adapter I have used (at a reasonable price) is the ones made by Vgate, and sold on ebay, or from a few other suppliers on the 'net.

[This works for cars/trucks as well. ;) ]

I hope this helps.
This looks like a cool app. Have you tried this app and BT adapter on the 990? I assume it's monitor only?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #1102
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,820
Quote:
The rider of the Wings 201 exhaust equipped bike is reporting improved mileage on his return from AL to FL. (Perhaps we can get Dave to post up soon.)
Dave's not here!

I'm still recuperating from being in the oven for 8 hours yesterday! For all the owners of a 990 that is non-compliant in the fueling department, go see Wayne. If there is no Wayne, find a shop that will tune your bike using TuneECU and get your fueling set right. I rode 1000 miles to get this done.

The difference between two 2010 990A's - Thomas' bike and my bike, is substantial, both in tune parameters and output. For me, this only reinforces what Wayne already said, "every bike is different"!!!

I hope these two tunes get folks headed in the right direction, but I'm a firm believer in tuning using an eddy-current dyno, 4 gas analyzer and a resident expert like Wayne. You really need all three. I just saw "speed savant" under the Power-Tripp username. He's not lying or exaggerating!!!

One more comment: I have more power, 40+ mpg when I ride sanely, a smoother throttle and no lurching and jumping when the bike is running fully hot. This is everything I asked for and the MPG is icing on the cake. You DO NOT need to put carbs on your FI KTM. Bring it to Wayne and he will hook you up and get it right.

nevermind screwed with this post 08-07-2011 at 09:42 AM
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #1103
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
This looks like a cool app.
You're right, this app looks VERY cool! Wayne showed it to me and I bought it right then. I ordered the bluetooth gizmo from the cardoc guy on Ebay and had the bluetooth connector in less than two weeks.

Thanks to Wayne, I've got the KTM ECU to OBDII cable and will hook mine up soon. I'm still trying to sort out a waterproof mini-usb connector to my Motorola Defy, which is weatherproof. No sense in having a droid that doesn't mind water or dust and then blow it up with wet power.

EDIT:
Here is the eBay item number for the ANDROID compatible bluetooth/obdii gizmo: 300581277083

nevermind screwed with this post 08-21-2011 at 01:59 PM
Old 08-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #1104
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
You're right, this app looks VERY cool! Wayne showed it to me and I bought it right then. I ordered the bluetooth gizmo from the cardoc guy on Ebay and had the bluetooth connector in less than two weeks.

Thanks to Wayne, I've got the KTM ECU to OBDII cable and will hook mine up soon. I'm still trying to sort out a waterproof mini-usb connector to my Motorola Defy, which is weatherproof. No sense in having a droid that doesn't mind water or dust and then blow it up with wet power.

Here is the eBay item number for the bluetooth/obdii gizmo: 250856166277
I'd be interested how it works. I have the TuneECU cable somewhere around here. Gave up on it after TunECU would not download my maps from the ECU.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #1105
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
Dave's not here!

I'm still recuperating from being in the oven for 8 hours yesterday! For all the owners of a 990 that is non-compliant in the fueling department, go see Wayne. If there is no Wayne, find a shop that will tune your bike using TuneECU and get your fueling set right. I rode 1000 miles to get this done.

The difference between two 2010 990A's - Thomas' bike and my bike, is substantial, both in tune parameters and output. For me, this only reinforces what Wayne already said, "every bike is different"!!!

I hope these two tunes get folks headed in the right direction, but I'm a firm believer in tuning using an eddy-current dyno, 4 gas analyzer and a resident expert like Wayne. You really need all three. I just saw "speed savant" under the Power-Tripp username. He's not lying or exaggerating!!!

One more comment: I have more power, 40+ mpg when I ride sanely, a smoother throttle and no lurching and jumping when the bike is running fully hot. This is everything I asked for and the MPG is icing on the cake. You DO NOT need to put carbs on your FI KTM. Bring it to Wayne and he will hook you up and get it right.
I want to do this, but need to find someone local.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #1106
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinns View Post
I want to do this, but need to find someone local.
I wonder, would contacting Factory Pro or Mustang Dynamometer would help? Maybe they can tell you if there is a shop in your area with one of their setups...
Old 08-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #1107
Power-Tripp
Speed Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
This looks like a cool app. Have you tried this app and BT adapter on the 990? I assume it's monitor only?

Cy,
I have not tested on the 990 ADV, but I does work well on other bikes using the same VAG protocal with Keihin ECUs. There is no reason it will not work on the KTMs (all of 'em) running the same ECUs. The only issue is the connector - which is not hard to make, and even easier to purchase.

The ability to use the 3D accelerometers and GPS in a smart phone, in conjunction with all of the outputs that you can see in TuneECU, makes for some interesting information, and the ability to test for your self, and changes in mapping. We have been using this for a while now on some of the higher output street bikes, and logging the data as well.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #1108
Power-Tripp
Speed Savant

In WA state, try contacting Gary Ricci.

Ricci Motorsports
Woodinville, WA 98072
Phone: (425) 424-3888 (this may not be current, but is the only number I have for him.)

He doesn't generally take in Adventurers and Sport Tourers, as he tends to work on mostly AMA and racing stuff. But you might be able to talk him into it.

I hope this helps,

-Wayne
Old 08-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #1109
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
In WA state, try contacting Gary Ricci.

Ricci Motorsports
Woodinville, WA 98072
Phone: (425) 424-3888 (this may not be current, but is the only number I have for him.)

He doesn't generally take in Adventurers and Sport Tourers, as he tends to work on mostly AMA and racing stuff. But you might be able to talk him into it.

I hope this helps,

-Wayne
I'll bug him, much thanks!

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #1110
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinns View Post
I'll bug him, much thanks!
Maybe we could get a group of us to go visit him. I'd do it.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote