ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #1171
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,246
BoosterPlug Anyone?

Edit

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion

jwalters screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 09:37 AM
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:26 AM   #1172
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was curious if anyone's tried to fit the BoosterPlug offered on various BMW machines. It appears to adjust the air intake temp sensor to trick the ECU into thinking it's colder than it actually is, thereby enriching the mixture slightly.

From the website, it appears to work well on both open and closed loop fuel injection systems. It takes advantage of the open loop characteristics of the closed loop FI systems under varying throttle condition. (that is a confusing sentence)

My question would be, how/why would the Booster Plug work better than a PC or TuneBoy? Seems like both devices can adjust the mixture, but only the latter PC/TuneBoy can account for throttle position as well.

EDIT: I don't know where I am going with this post, but I just got a new oscilliscope and might try to retro fit a BoosterPlug on the KTM if the electrics are an easy match. I'll report back if there is any interest.
Similar to this:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1152
Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #1173
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Similar indeed.

But per your comment in the link, the BoosterPlug claims it DOES account for altitude gain, because the device doesn't disable the closed loop FI system (which compensates for altitude gain via the lambda sensor), it just increases mixture (via air temp) when at varying throttle position. Anyways, I don't want this to turn into a big thing. Some friends in Colorado with F800's swear by them. They are constantly going from 4000ft to 12,000ft and are happy with the results, so I am going to look into adapting that to a KTM.

Has anyone actually tried the Cycleops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post

Old 09-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #1174
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Similar indeed.

But per your comment in the link, the BoosterPlug claims it DOES account for altitude gain, because the device doesn't disable the closed loop FI system (which compensates for altitude gain via the lambda sensor), it just increases mixture (via air temp) when at varying throttle position. Anyways, I don't want this to turn into a big thing. Some friends in Colorado with F800's swear by them. They are constantly going from 4000ft to 12,000ft and are happy with the results, so I am going to look into adapting that to a KTM.

Start a thread for this stuff, please...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #1175
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Thank's for the reminder that this is the TuneECU thread, not the "anything FI related thread" I'm startin a new thread for this. And apologies! I hate it when folks hijack threads too. And here I am doing it here. I've removed the other posts and will start a thread later today. I know there is a lot of KTM FI experience here so I'd love folks' feedback on the other thread. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
Start a thread for this stuff, please...

Old 09-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #1176
Spark01
V-Twin

Quote:
Similar indeed.

closed loop works only till 5000rpm and till around 10% TPS.
So above this there will be no adjustment in AFR

But feel free to try it
Old 09-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #1177
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

MOVED:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=16803042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
closed loop works only till 5000rpm and till around 10% TPS.
So above this there will be no adjustment in AFR

But feel free to try it

Old 09-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #1178
bouboule
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
There is many ideas about the trottle problem on our 08' but today no solution !

I search ever about somethink....
bouboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #1179
evildingo
On a road to no-where

Oddometer: 420
?

Hi gang,
I have a 2010 990r Adventure & its a nightmare to ride .SO I have been following this thread with some interest , Forgive me if its been written here somewhere amongst the pages , But....>>>

Most of my problem now is just off the idle, ie :
Say I'm coming into a corner & Im down shifting,( if it does not stall before the apex ) then I need to roll on the throttle to exit, it lags than feels like it over fuels unsettling the bike and the mostly the rider.

When it does it on dirt I can argue with the bikes personally, I don't get the best or designated line out , but never the less it feels half safe .
On tar, is not the position I like to be in, especially when its wet , I'm going to run out of talent one day.
Bike when loaded is a handful enough in the sand so
I have had the bike back to the dealer takes the money doesn't fix the problem.
(we are now enemy's & refuse to have my bike back in the shop) ,
I have used stock, Ackros , Barret Exhaust
( spoke the the manafacture from Barret pipes and there straight through cans as are most other aftermarkets brands , conclusion is that engine management comes before the mufflers )

Had the key coded. reset ecu , done the 15 min idle. changed air filter, fuel filter, gearing, My dealer takes the money doesn't fix the problem.

KTM Australia have lots of excuses they finally voided my warranty when I used Barret exhaust .
I would think that if a Motorcycle company that produces a product and supply's it to the international market they could at least get a engine to run smooth . Surprised they have not had a class action against them .

Anyway save me some confusion .

Does tuneECU absolutely fix these problems.

Removing secondary butterfly's achieve anything .

Any other comets welcome ,I am at a loss, & its "Doin my head in"

Regards Woof
Old 09-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #1180
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildingo View Post
Hi gang,
I have a 2010 990r Adventure & its a nightmare to ride .SO I have been following this thread with some interest , Forgive me if its been written here somewhere amongst the pages , But....>>>

Say I'm coming into a corner & Im down shifting,( if it does not stall before the apex ) then I need to roll on the throttle to exit, it lags than feels like it over fuels unsettling the bike and the mostly the rider.

When it does it on dirt I can argue with the bikes personally, I don't get the best or designated line out , but never the less it feels half safe .
On tar, is not the position I like to be in, especially when its wet , I'm going to run out of talent one day.
( spoke the the manafacture from Barret pipes and there straight through cans as are most other aftermarkets brands , conclusion is that engine management comes before the mufflers )

Had the key coded. reset ecu , done the 15 min idle. changed air filter, fuel filter, gearing, My dealer takes the money doesn't fix the problem.

KTM Australia have lots of excuses they finally voided my warranty when I used Barret exhaust .
I would think that if a Motorcycle company that produces a product and supply's it to the international market they could at least get a engine to run smooth . Surprised they have not had a class action against them .

Regards Woof
Your symptoms are not uncommon, and tuneecu is not the answer. What we are looking at here is a fundamental design flaw. It is unclear if the flaw is in the FI itself or in the serpentine cam drive arrangement. Nonetheless, "tuning" the bike with tuneeceu or at the dealer is a total waste of time.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #1181
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Hi gang,

Regards Woof
Well I have been playing (read, downloading) different maps recently into my 2010 990R as it was "abrupt" coming back onto the throttle. I tried the 2011 Std map and it was a big improvement. I have today tried the power-tripp Akra map and it was a bigger improvement again. Very happy with it. So yes, Tune ECU will help in respect to being able to download maps to your bike to try out. It is easy enough to change settings within a map but very time consuming to test with a ride.
Ultimately though, the bike needs to be put in the hands of a proper tuner with dyno\exhaust analyzers, so a custom map can be made for your bike and riding style.

Also get a G2 throttle cam.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #1182
Suncruiser
and Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
'Doing my head in'

With my 2010 R 990 I had the experience of the engine being snappy at about 3k - 4k. she would come on very suddenly and one time even wheelied in the middle of a 2nd gear turn. scary and not fun on tar.
After changing to twin fmf's it was the same. after loading the 2010 akra map it was all good, smooth riding and controllable throttle. Now I've changed to a 2in1 with one of the fmf's and it's amazingly smooth. Perfect I'd say.
Only fuel consumption went up to 8l /100km from 7l /100km before the mapping. Idealy I'd like better fuel economy but not for the price of less smoothness or performance.
Just to let you know there is a bike out there that runs fine so don't give up, she's worth it.

Ciao Helly
2010 Adventure 990 R
Suncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #1183
Spark01
V-Twin

Quote:
Hi gang,
I have a 2010 990r Adventure & its a nightmare to ride .

Regards Woof

Have you tried the following, because dealers normally don't do this:

-throttle body sync
-TPS adjust

For the stalling option:
-check the idle stopper screw, when the bike is running idle is it touching the screw?

when not, then adjust this until it does.
Because it can be possible when off the throttle, that the throttle bodies close to much.
And then the TPS voltage can drop bellow the correct voltage which causes the engine to stall.

And finally, try the newest 2011 map or the power-trip map.

Al this should do some improvement, not 100% cure.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #1184
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,819
My experience up to now

I had a snatchy 990Adv 2006 European. It was very abrupt off throttle. With Tuneecu I found out it was using an old AKRA 06. My dealer changed it to AKRA 07-08 and I saw some improvement. Bike was getting enjoyable but still... I then tried the original non AKRA map and things got worse. I also got the EFI light flashing. Traced down the code and found rear cyl O2sensor preheat grounded. TUNEECU confirmed this. After replacing it, the bike got smoother. I reprogrammed the bike with ORiginal map 2007-08 and got it quite smooth and economical. Finally changed secondary butterflies to never close less than 10% and got it even better. So this is my setup at the moment. Quite happy with it. Thanks TUNEecu.

gefr screwed with this post 09-15-2011 at 10:51 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #1185
bouboule
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Ok thanks for your opinion. Do you have stock exhaust? When you cut the trottle, keep 1 or more second off and put it a little on, do you have an good and smoothy response or a radical power?!

On mine, she's jump like i've put 25% trottle....
bouboule is offline   Reply With Quote