Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #1261
Groundhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Nels put my '07 990 Adv on his dyno at 2 Wheel Dyno Works (2wheeldynoworks.com) in Kirkland, WA. His computer was having trouble with TuneECU so we used my laptop & cable. Got about 8% horsepower increase and 16% torque. Gas mileage remains near the same. Could have probably gotten more power, but wanted to keep the gas mileage.

I wasn't looking (necessarily) for more power, just wanting to smooth out the twichyness and a flat spot from 3,000 rpm going to wot. Nels did that in spades. Previously I had to really jerk on the bars to get the front up by throttle alone. Now it is hard to keep it on the ground. More importantly, the throttle curve is very smooth and consistent. Much more ridable (even at very low throttle opening). Probably the best money I've spent on this bike yet.

Bike has a pair of FMF Q4s, gear selector sensor disconnected, sas gone and secondary butterflys gone.

A plug for Nels - I didn't know Nels previously, but he seems to be known on the PNW road racing circuits. Has 3 dynos and been doing dyno work for 11 years. He has a dyno in a trailer and travels to a lot of races and events in the PNW. As others have said, his work is magic and his prices very reasonable.

Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #1262
mgib
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
That's great news about 2wheeldynoworks.com. I'm gonna have to get some time there.

So groundhog, the twitchy throttle is gone, or attenuated? I appreciate the HP and torque, but I mostly want a smooth throttle.
F800GS
mgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #1263
Groundhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Damn you guys are hard on an old man. I had to look that one up (attenuated).

First, I have the G2 throttle tube which seemed to help. Second, I hurt my hip (and I'm old and fat) so didn't do much off road riding on the way home. With that said, I think it helped the twitchy a bunch (maybe not cured it). (see, I can talk without having to use those big words )

The throttle is very smooth and on an even curve all the way through, which it wasn't (especially down low) before. However it is still hard to sneak up on the power from a closed throttle. Once the initial little hit of power is felt the rest is very linear compared to being almost unpredictable as it was BN (before Nels).

All in all, well worth the time and money (to me anyway).

Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #1264
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
My bike has an HT racing 2 into 1 adapetor and a FMF slip on for an R6. I really like the extra fuel the aux tank provides so I will not trade it in for the extra power of a 2 into 2 system. I saw a 2 into 2 system on a Aprila Tuono that both pipes dumper on the left side, it has me thinking of this for the KTM.....

I will post my dyno results when I get back next week.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #1265
mgib
Gnarly Adventurer

From one old man to another,sorry, I guess I read too much.

Thanks for the followup. I'm glad Nels was amenable (willing to work with you(couldn't help myself)) to getting your bike in. I'm out of the country for the next 3 weeks, so can't wait to try to get in with him with my tuneecu. I'm back to a stock 07-08 program that helped some over the shitty 06 Akra map. Still moderately twitchy tho. Other than dual FMFs and a G2, I'm still stock. Hoping to get some miles on tomorrow to check a mpg baseline before loading the updated Akra map. Haven't had time to strip out the extras that we get with the bikes. I stripped it all out of my 950 and was very happy.

Those secondaries look really easy to pull. Tempting. And my block off plates are sitting there ready to go.

Thanks again.
F800GS
Old 10-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #1266
mgib
Gnarly Adventurer

Kenbike, I've got a 2-1 with a wings ready to go, just not much time to play with the bike. That said, I'm not sure I'm gonna put the extra tank on when I try the 2-1. I'm kinda cheap and a couple of Rotopaxs do the same thing, just not as conveniently. If I find that I lose mpg for a smooth throttle, maybe I'll reconsider.
F800GS
Old 10-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #1267
MrLebowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouboule View Post
Powertripp, you've said that you tune maybe an ADV this month but with stock cams?

There is somthing that I don't undestand. If you mount SD cams, you configuration are the same than 09'-11' ADV. Not? So you can use after this modification, Powetripp maps which are share on Tuneecu website..

What do you think about this?

Thanks !!
I think what bouboule is asking is the same thing I've been wondering. I have an 08 adv, I'd like a few more ponies and a new map. So theoretically I should be able to drop in Super Duke cams, then copy and paste Power-tripp's current model year map into an 07-08 map and upload to bike. Anyone see any reason why this won't work?
MrLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #1268
outbacktaz
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 511
Adventure Dakar map...!

Hey all!

I'm looking to install the Adventure Dakar map on my 2010 ADV. Could someone provide me with it? I know that those bikes run much smoother than the others, so I was wondering if you own or know someone that owns a Dakar and if you could read it off the bike...

Thanks a lot guys! Keep tuning!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown

outbacktaz screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 04:13 PM
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:14 AM   #1269
bouboule
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Nels put my '07 990 Adv on his dyno at 2 Wheel Dyno Works (2wheeldynoworks.com) in Kirkland, WA. His computer was having trouble with TuneECU so we used my laptop & cable. Got about 8% horsepower increase and 16% torque. Gas mileage remains near the same. Could have probably gotten more power, but wanted to keep the gas mileage.

I wasn't looking (necessarily) for more power, just wanting to smooth out the twichyness and a flat spot from 3,000 rpm going to wot. Nels did that in spades. Previously I had to really jerk on the bars to get the front up by throttle alone. Now it is hard to keep it on the ground. More importantly, the throttle curve is very smooth and consistent. Much more ridable (even at very low throttle opening). Probably the best money I've spent on this bike yet.

Bike has a pair of FMF Q4s, gear selector sensor disconnected, sas gone and secondary butterflys gone.

A plug for Nels - I didn't know Nels previously, but he seems to be known on the PNW road racing circuits. Has 3 dynos and been doing dyno work for 11 years. He has a dyno in a trailer and travels to a lot of races and events in the PNW. As others have said, his work is magic and his prices very reasonable.
Hi, thanks for your impression! You have a perfect bike now.... what's your bike's year/model??
bouboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #1270
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:

Good to know there is someone nearby. Once I finish modifying my bike I'm going to call him up and see what he can do

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #1271
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacktaz View Post
He all!

I'm looking to install the Adventure Dakar map on my 2010 ADV. Could someone provide me with it? I know that those bikes run much smoother than the others, so I was wondering if you own or know someone that owns a Dakar and if you could read it off the bike...

Thanks a lot guys! Keep tuning!!
Checked the TuneECU list and the Dakar is not listed. It was my understanding the Dakar and the R use the same map. The 2011 maps are listed and they are supposed to be better than the previous. The difference between the R and standard is that last part of the secondary map goes to 100% on the R but only 70% on the standard.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #1272
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
I picked up my bike from Wayne @ Power Tripp last night. He installed a set of super duke cams and tuned the ECU. Got in a short test ride last night and it was a real improvement. It had much more snap and pulled much better. It picked up around 12 hp with everything. The real kick is I have the bike in Deals gap and have lost the KEY! I will have to wait until Monday when I get home to test ride. MY map is for a 2007 with Motor Hooligan air box, 2 into 1, and super duke cams.
Wayne felt the 2into 1 really limits my top end.
A little off topic and probably too late, but the 950 HOW contains hotwire instructions for those times when a key is needed.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #1273
XX4me
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:

Sorry if this has been beat to death but does the 990 use a gear selector to pinch off the power at lower gears?
This is the first I've heard of this.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #1274
outbacktaz
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco3738 View Post
Checked the TuneECU list and the Dakar is not listed. It was my understanding the Dakar and the R use the same map. The 2011 maps are listed and they are supposed to be better than the previous. The difference between the R and standard is that last part of the secondary map goes to 100% on the R but only 70% on the standard.

BTW, I installed the 990R US Map on my 2010 Adventure (White ABS) today. Then I did the 15 minutes routine, which I didn't do the last time with the 2011 Map, and it's nastyyyyyyy!!!

I don't know if it was related to mine not doing the 15 min thingy, but with the 2011 Map, I think there was some knocking in the engine, way down low, like below 3000 RPMs. With this map, smooth smooth smooth down low, and a huge power surge when you twist that right hand grip!!

Don't know if things would have been different if I would have done the 15 min idle...?? But when I used to twist the throttle, there was no way that I would have done a wheely!! But now,it's a whole different story!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #1275
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX4me View Post
Sorry if this has been beat to death but does the 990 use a gear selector to pinch off the power at lower gears?
This is the first I've heard of this.
yes in 2nd and 3rd.
you can switch it off in tuneecu