Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #1471
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
All right...it's been a while and I'm not connected to the bike, but here goes:

If you have not been able to load the map from your bike to TuneEcu, select "ECU" from the menu bar and choose "Read Map". If you then select "Map Edit" from the mode bar in the upper right of the screen, you should see the map from your bike. Selecting "Display" from the menu bar and "Map Infos" should bring up a box with a map description consistent with your bike and the map you expect to see there.

IMPORTANT: In Tune ECU, "Download" does not mean what you think it does--or, at least, what *I* thought it did. "Download" loads the map open in TuneEcu-in it's current state-to the ECU, not the other way around.

So, once the map from your bike is loaded into Tuen ECU, save it and then back it up or asve it with another name.

Make sure as you make changes to the map to note those cahnges in the "Display Map Infos" box, as the map name as loaded into the ECU will (may--this is from memory) not reflect your filename changes and you can lose track of where you are. Notes help too, the "Infos" box just gives you a good place to keep 'em.

I hope this helps, if you have specific questions, post 'em up and I will hook up the bike tonite and try to answer em for you.

Steve
That was very helpful, thank you!

Another success(es): I've saved the stock map (the one that was on there anyway, I assume the orig), and have loaded the KM601AK0704501 '07/'08 Akro slip on/US spec map onto the ECU. Bravo for me! The voltage again dropped to 12.2 as I sat there, but then held steady there with tender connected.

I exited the program, disconnected, and the bike fired up just fine, but I didn't run it long or go for a ride to test yet. Maye tomorrow. I also ran all the tests that were available in the Testing area, it was cool to hear the bike clicking and whirring without me touching it! It looks like everything passed (I'm assuming it would tell me if it didn't?).

My main concern at this point is MPG. After removing canni/SAS I'm getting confirmed 23mpg (down from mid 30's, which still wasn't great IMO) and I smell gas all the time. The bike feels fine, plenty of normal power and zoom, but having the reserve light on at 86 miles simply will not do. DirtJack's '07 990 down the road gets 40+ mpg, also with canni/SAS removed, so something is def out of place.

Thoughts? I've heard the Akro maps can make mpg even worse... I guess a test will tell!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #1472
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
Whoohoo!! Congrats on your upload.

Don't forget the 15 min reset before you go ride.

I've tried the akro map. It's a hit or miss it seems. Mpg went down on that test. I tried turning the o2 sensors back on and mpg went back up without negative side effects. It was an interesting test indeed.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #1473
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
That was very helpful, thank you!

Another success(es): I've saved the stock map (the one that was on there anyway, I assume the orig), and have loaded the KM601AK0704501 '07/'08 Akro slip on/US spec map onto the ECU. Bravo for me! The voltage again dropped to 12.2 as I sat there, but then held steady there with tender connected.

I exited the program, disconnected, and the bike fired up just fine, but I didn't run it long or go for a ride to test yet. Maye tomorrow. I also ran all the tests that were available in the Testing area, it was cool to hear the bike clicking and whirring without me touching it! It looks like everything passed (I'm assuming it would tell me if it didn't?).

My main concern at this point is MPG. After removing canni/SAS I'm getting confirmed 23mpg (down from mid 30's, which still wasn't great IMO) and I smell gas all the time. The bike feels fine, plenty of normal power and zoom, but having the reserve light on at 86 miles simply will not do. DirtJack's '07 990 down the road gets 40+ mpg, also with canni/SAS removed, so something is def out of place.

Thoughts? I've heard the Akro maps can make mpg even worse... I guess a test will tell!
I get 37 - 44 with akros and the akro map.... Thats with shit 10% ethenol gas too.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #1474
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinns View Post
I get 37 - 44 with akros and the akro map.... Thats with shit 10% ethenol gas too.
Grinns,
Just curious - what gear ratio are you running i.e. 16/45 or..? And how much is off road?
Currently, with the Akra map I am getting 30 -35 mpg, with 16/45 gear ration and running 70/30 offroad/on.
Thanks,
Bill
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #1475
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Whoohoo!! Congrats on your upload.

Don't forget the 15 min reset before you go ride.

I've tried the akro map. It's a hit or miss it seems. Mpg went down on that test. I tried turning the o2 sensors back on and mpg went back up without negative side effects. It was an interesting test indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinns View Post

Okay, good to know! Fingers crossed... 37 - 44 mpg would make my friggin' month.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #1476
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Okay, good to know! Fingers crossed... 37 - 44 mpg would make my friggin' month.

It's been rainy, but just got an unexpected day of sunshine for map testing! Unfortunately, new Akro map is also delivering 23 mpg highway (75 mph slab cruise for testing purposes), and there is a "zone" of surging/hunting between 4500-5500 RPM. Basically no better than where I was with stock map.

Advise me. What's next?

Could I be having a mechanical issue? I confident with my work, but that confidence is starting to erode, perhaps I need to break it down again... The performance of the bike is great, hums down the road just fine, and I can't help power-wheelieing around the neighborhood. What should I be looking for at this point?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #1477
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
It's been rainy, but just got an unexpected day of sunshine for map testing! Unfortunately, new Akro map is also delivering 23 mpg highway (75 mph slab cruise for testing purposes), and there is a "zone" of surging/hunting between 4500-5500 RPM. Basically no better than where I was with stock map.

Advise me. What's next?

Could I be having a mechanical issue? I confident with my work, but that confidence is starting to erode, perhaps I need to break it down again... The performance of the bike is great, hums down the road just fine, and I can't help power-wheelieing around the neighborhood. What should I be looking for at this point?
The conditions you describe started after doing the cannisterectomy and SAS removal, correct? There may be an issue there that is causing the problem. Having said that, the issues you describe are the same that others have tried to fix with TuneECU.

The PO removed my canister and SAS and left the stock map. I get 40-44 mpg but have decel popping (a bit lean) since putting the Wings on mine. I probably need to re-map, but I can't find my cable; no, wait, you have my cable.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #1478
the foolish fellow
UP FOR IT

Oddometer: 140
4 - 5k idle

I have loaded a couple of different maps today each time doing the 15 min idle. The bike has become pretty much unrideable. Although the idle settles at around 1750 as soon as you start reving the engine whether stationary or riding the bike the revs will not settle below 4-5k. I have reloaded the standard map that i saved from the bike but although the fuelling has reverted back to normal the throttle control has not. I loaded a U.S. map earlier in the week and got a purge valve fault code, reloading the original saved map brought the bike back to normal. However this has not sucessfully happened this time. What could i have done to mess this up ?
I loaded the standard map, switched off the ignition, switched the ignition back on and done a full rotation of the throttle, switched off ignition again and then performed the 15min idle.

I need some help if possible.
the foolish fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #1479
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:

My main concern at this point is MPG. After removing canni/SAS I'm getting confirmed 23mpg (down from mid 30's, which still wasn't great IMO) and I smell gas all the time. The bike feels fine, plenty of normal power and zoom, but having the reserve light on at 86 miles simply will not do.
I would suspect hose's blocking isn't sealing properly? so O2 sensors read poor mixture and dump in there lots of fuel? or something is fooling the sensors reading poor mixture.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #1480
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,406
I've now written a long winded reply for viol-lator twice, and lost it both times.

Sorry dude.

One quick easy thing to try is to turn off the O2 sensors and do another test.

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #1481
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
I would suspect hose's blocking isn't sealing properly? so O2 sensors read poor mixture and dump in there lots of fuel? or something is fooling the sensors reading poor mixture.
Cheers.
Yeah, that's what I'm checking now. I got 'er ripped apart, blowing through and checking hoses, looks good so far, but I'll keep digging. I pulled the block-off plates which I previously coated with some hi-temp sealant, and I can see the sealing channel around the inside surface, so I don't think it was that. Could it have anything to do with fuel tank venting?? Seems unlikely, and I've followed the cannisterectemy strictly. New fuel filters have been replaced... Hmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
I've now written a long winded reply for viol-lator twice, and lost it both times.

Sorry dude.

One quick easy thing to try is to turn off the O2 sensors and do another test.

Steve
I hate it when that happens! If it's gonna be a long post I'll often type it in a text program then cut-n-paste. I'm curious what you had to say! Thanks for the effort anyway.

When I get it all buttoned up I'll try toggling off the O2s.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #1482
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by the foolish fellow View Post
I have loaded a couple of different maps today each time doing the 15 min idle. The bike has become pretty much unrideable. Although the idle settles at around 1750 as soon as you start reving the engine whether stationary or riding the bike the revs will not settle below 4-5k. I have reloaded the standard map that i saved from the bike but although the fuelling has reverted back to normal the throttle control has not. I loaded a U.S. map earlier in the week and got a purge valve fault code, reloading the original saved map brought the bike back to normal. However this has not sucessfully happened this time. What could i have done to mess this up ?
I loaded the standard map, switched off the ignition, switched the ignition back on and done a full rotation of the throttle, switched off ignition again and then performed the 15min idle.

I need some help if possible.
I'm not sure where you got the idea to twist the throttle after switching on the ignition...
Do not touch the throttle until the tach completes its sweep...then start normally...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #1483
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:

Advise me. What's next?

How did you do the SAS system? Originally I put the bolts into the side of the manifold like what you do on a 950. Later I went back and ran a connecting hose from the front cylinder left side to the rear cylinder right side. Made a big difference; didn't fix it all but a step in the right direction.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #1484
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
How did you do the SAS system? Originally I put the bolts into the side of the manifold like what you do on a 950. Later I went back and ran a connecting hose from the front cylinder left side to the rear cylinder right side. Made a big difference; didn't fix it all but a step in the right direction.
+1 I suspect something went wrong with your removal. Mileage didn't change when I did mine.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #1485
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
I just reread your HOW write-up (bravo, BTW), and saw the bolts there and said "A-HA!" But then read further and saw you went back and made the "S" hose (which is what I already have). I pulled the hose off and blew through it to make sure it's not blocked, and it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
+1 I suspect something went wrong with your removal. Mileage didn't change when I did mine.
ya, something is amiss, I'm just having trouble isolating it. Tonight I'm gonna pull every damn hose and tube off this bike, clean it, inspect it, and see if I can come up with something. It's puzzling, the system is so simplified now with SAS and Canni gone, there just aren't that many places that could be leaking... It's got to be something!