User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Pork Butt OP
Save the USA

Oddometer: 60,468
Fall Ride SW VA Jeep Trail

I was going to add this to Pork Chop's thread but since he bailed to go on a date (16 yr olds what do you expect ) we start a new one..... oh and his date went much better than my day

Friday I get an E-Mail from a friend that a group of riders are coming to my area for a dual sport ride..... yeah the wife loves these things... last minute, did not check with her, and "I promise this is the last ride of the year" ..... I know I am not alone with this routine ..... at least this is only 28 miles from our house

I get the green light but have to be home for dinner and to give out the candy ... that is a small sacrifice for an unplanned day out riding in 65 degrees and clear skies in late October

Well I get to New Castle on time meet some riders I have not met but they live in the next county ..... we get acquainted while waiting for our leader who is LATE .... oh he is never late.

Since our rider leader (we will call him G, he is a friend of mine but I still do not know his handle here) is late the boys from Blacksburg take off ahead of us hoping to meet up at lunch.

Being late we did not stop on the first leg of the ride but we took a break on a forest road I have never been on ....... the entrance is not marked but I hope my GPS can lead me back.

taking a break.

then on to the Jeep trail

oh .... wait G fell down on the log bridge

this is a maintained Jeep trail by the forest service and I think it has been closed before due to miss use lets hope everyone got the message.

it quickly gets a little challenging

then we come to the "easy section" Jim goes down to check it out.

now I am down there and he is walking up

here they come

after that section is this cool field .... I wonder if we have camping privileges here???

next section we run into some "jeeps" ..

what seems to be the hold up here

well someone got mommies "jeep" stuck

I don't know if you can see it but the passenger side is caved in and while trying to turn this thing around they just about tore the front clip off

we get by them and head for the end of the trail ... then on our way to lunch ...... my DR350 revs high and dies

whats missing in this picture?

how the hell did this happen?

my chain guide got busted off and the chain got off and was able to wedge in the front sprocket.

at least this happened on the way up the next road we were on so I could coast most of the way back to the paved road and grab a snack while the guys went for a trailer to take me home....

That could have been much worse but at the end of the day we had a great time.

PB

Pork Butt screwed with this post 11-01-2010 at 07:17 AM
Pork Butt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Nice report.Glad someone posted some pics ,apparently everyone else forgot their camera..

I would have liked to have made this one since its been 5 years or more since I have been all the way across that trail,but am sidelined with some hand issues.Maybe next year.
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 365
Thumb

Nice post Pork Butt!

Get your bike fixed for this Sunday's return ride-MINUS the jeep trail.

This is G-the one who was late-again.

BUTT not THIS Sunday!
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
elmo_4_vt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Looks like a nice day... Can any of you post more info about this route or other good routes in the Blacksburg area? I'm heading down there this week (watching the football game on Thursday night) for a Friday or Saturday ride and was going to just hit the Forest roads along 460, but a if there's something better, I'd love to find out about it. Will have to drive back on Sunday though.

Don

-
elmo_4_vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Pork Butt OP
Save the USA

some good roads around ... but it is hunting season .....

PB
Old 11-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Pork Butt OP
Save the USA

we had to saw the chain to get it off ...... so now its time to get some new parts..

so far I am not finding any thing damaged.

PB
Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo_4_vt
Can any of you post more info about this route or other good routes in the Blacksburg area?
The jeep trail where the pics were made is called Potts Mountain Jeep Trail. I wasn't tracking it with my GPS so I don't have the coordinates but you should be able to Google it and find the location. It was a challenging but fun section. Took us a lot longer than expected though and I'm bettin' that Jeep wagon is still in there. Like Pork Butt said one of those kids probably had to fess up, "I got mommie's jeep stuck" I really wonder how they get something like that out. They sure as hell don't go there with a roll back!!!!

Thump!
(a.k.a. Jim)
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
elmo_4_vt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Thanks for the help guys... That trail looks a little further north than I'd like, so I guess I'll just try some of the ones off of Rt 460 or around Mtn. Lake that I've done in my truck.

Don

-
elmo_4_vt is offline   Reply With Quote