User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
Vince_WA OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Dwellingup Halloween Weekender - Oct 2010

Another quick and cheap ride report from me.

This one covers off a short overnighter down to Dwellingup, organised (ever so loosely) by Bully a few weeks ago.

I wasn't too sure if I'd actually make the ride, as on the Sunday arvo of the previous weekend I'd been stung by a bee on my eyelid, and for a couple of days couldn't see out of my eye ....

A phone call from Bully telling me to htfu sorted me out, and so I arranged to meet people down at Dwellingup on the Saturday afternoon. The rough plan had Robbie and Wayne (1150 GS's) riding down Saturday morning, I was going to make my own way down around midday, and Bully and Rob would shoot down late in the afternoon. Alan was a non-starter unfortunately, tied up with some other stuff.

I headed down via the back of Mundaring ...

... and the back of Serpentine ...

The plan was to overnight at Tony's Bend in the Lane Poole Reserve, but Robbie and Wayne were unsuccessful in telling other campers there to pack up and move out so we had somewhere to pitch our tents, so once we'd all met up we crossed the river and found a few spots in the Chuditch camp site.

With the sun starting to sink behind the trees it was time to break out the beer and nibblies ...

Home for the night ...

With a few beers and ports under Rob's belt the stories started to flow thick and fast ...

And then he remembered that he'd brought the halloween entertainment along ...

The Night Rider .... "I will never get out of here !!!' he would screech whenever anyone clapped their hands ...

The real scary story of the night was not the Night Rider, but the cheap duty free brandy that Rob had picked up in Singapore on his way back from Vietnam earlier this year - it made cat piss taste nice by comparison ...

Sunday morning and I was packed early, ready to go exploring ...

And Rob was proudly showing off his '88 Guzzi California cruiser/adventure bike to Wayne ("Have knobby front tyre - will travel.")

Rob took the graded gravel roads (Nanga and Driver Roads) down to Muddy Landing, whilst I led Bully and the others along the 4x4 track that runs roughly parallel to the river.

At the Mudding Landing rest stop (where we couldn't find Rob), Wayne was keen to show Robbie his balancing skills ...

Unfortunately Wayne's balancing skills couldn't help him keep his 1150 upright when he tried to mount it from the high side on a slope ...

... and the reason that he was trying to get back on the bike? He'd overcooked on a steep, tight left-hand bend and ran off into the undergrowth ...

A bit further up the track we came across a 4x4 with two blown tyres and a cracked steering system - log on side of track (1) vs 4x4 (0).

After an excellent ride thru the tracks we eventually rejoined River Road ...

And from there it was a quick trip up the gravel to the Dwellingup Hotel were we met Rob ...

Rob relaxing at the Dwellingup Hotel ...

Wayne just loved his 1150, even though he did try and throw it away a few times ...

Robbie enjoying a relaxing sit down ...

A steak sandwich and a beer to wash the dust down, and then it was back to Perth for me ...

Via a quick side trip down Scarp Road to check out North Dandalup Dam ...

Vince_WA screwed with this post 11-01-2010 at 04:31 AM
Vince_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
DANNOj
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,160
Nice one Vince. Top weekend to be away on the bikes.

I love the night-rider! Funny how we can always find the space to cram something in the panniers when we really want to!!

Cheers,
Dan

DANNOj is offline   Reply With Quote