Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #31
crawler07 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
hey guys I have a question? I ordered a piston for this thing and when it got here I see that it doesnt have any ports in the skirt like the original did? So this bike also has reed valves so I dont know if I need the piston ports? Please if anyone has any insight give me a clue here.
crawler07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #32
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler07 View Post
hey guys I have a question? I ordered a piston for this thing and when it got here I see that it doesnt have any ports in the skirt like the original did? So this bike also has reed valves so I dont know if I need the piston ports? Please if anyone has any insight give me a clue here.
Probably for an early piston port model.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #33
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
I am guessing here, but I think the first few or couple eyars the 360 was out it was piston port. I seem to remember it wasn't until 1972 or 3 that it was a reed induction. I am betting they sent you a piston for the earlier model that was piston port.....but am guessing.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #34
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Yep, 1972 was the first year for reed valves and that means 1968, 69, 70 and 71 were piston port.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #35
crawler07 OP
Adventurer

thanks sniper, but I removed the original piston from the motor and the one they sent me didnt have a ported skirt. But it does have reeds, so do you think it would be ok to run the non ported piston in place of the ported one??
Old 07-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #36
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
thanks sniper, but I removed the original piston from the motor and the one they sent me didnt have a ported skirt. But it does have reeds, so do you think it would be ok to run the non ported piston in place of the ported one??
let me do some checking....
Old 07-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #37
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Nope, it won't work, the stock piston for yours HAS ports on the skirt, oddly enough, the one that is called piston port does not have them......
Old 08-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #38
crawler07 OP
Adventurer

I now have to remove the cylinder and add a few ports to the skirt of the one that is currently in their, unless you guys think it will be alright as is with the piston that doesnt have ports in it?? If I do add the ports to the piston my plan is to wrap the old piston with a piece of paper and transfer the openings to the paper and then to the new piston with a drill and a dramel...I will post pics of the process if you guys would like to see..
Old 08-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #39
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 640
Eh? You are not a machine shop! Are you?????

I think that IF you attempt to "modify" the ports into the nonport piston, you will have a NASTY surprise "down the road"!
IF you get the machine to run decently, a seizure and or severe vibration (unless triple beam scale balanced) will occur.
PERHAPS I am wrong......won't be the first time....
SPEND the $325 or so and get the correct rings and the correct piston.....get the cylinder bored to match the new piston and go for a ride.
Set the TIMING correctly......or be prepared for a seizure and another top end rebuild......I will not even mention CRANK SEALS and CORRECT carb settings!............Watch for air leaks, as well.
The 360 is a nice motor.......Do it correctly.
Why replace the piston?........Previous seize?..............Nasty bits can EASILY get into the lower end.......Ask my son!
Good luck and I honestly wish you the BEST OF LUCK!
Ride Fast and Safe!
spo
Old 08-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #40
crawler07 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spo123 View Post
I think that IF you attempt to "modify" the ports into the nonport piston, you will have a NASTY surprise "down the road"!
IF you get the machine to run decently, a seizure and or severe vibration (unless triple beam scale balanced) will occur.
PERHAPS I am wrong......won't be the first time....
SPEND the $325 or so and get the correct rings and the correct piston.....get the cylinder bored to match the new piston and go for a ride.
Set the TIMING correctly......or be prepared for a seizure and another top end rebuild......I will not even mention CRANK SEALS and CORRECT carb settings!............Watch for air leaks, as well.
The 360 is a nice motor.......Do it correctly.
Why replace the piston?........Previous seize?..............Nasty bits can EASILY get into the lower end.......Ask my son!
Good luck and I honestly wish you the BEST OF LUCK!
Ride Fast and Safe!
spo

Tank you for your opinion, but I have already had the cylinder bored out to fit the new piston so I think I will get this one to work. I dont see it giving me problems down the road,the piston with the ports in the skirt doesnt look any different aside fron the openings in the skirt. I looked on the inside for some type of ribbing that might have been added(for strengthening) to the piston that has the skirt openings and their isnt any and the solid skirted piston doesnt have them either. As for it having vibrations, have you ever ridden one of these? They have no counter balancer so their nasty little vibrating beasts to begin with. I only tore it down due to some piston slap the cylinder was not out of round and I only had to go half a mil over on it so I would like to keep from having to rebore it bigger.I have already added new crank seals as well as a complete engine gasket set from yamaha .I will be sure to post pics as I go and you guys can help with suggestions as I go! Thanks for your input Sir..I might also try to run it with the solid skirt piston and see how it acts, but I would like a opinion on weather or not it would hurt anything running it like that Im thinking it will just not have as much torque but to me these bikes already have alot of torque so it may be ok??...
Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #41
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Sweet Bike . I just stumbled across this thread. I just picked up this 73 360 for $250 . Runs great but needs some cosmetic work. It came with a lot of extra parts including a vintage Hooker exhaust the I might install soon.

This bike is really an animal compared to my DT-175. Gobs of torque and hardly any brakes.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:32 AM   #42
crawler07 OP
Adventurer

Nice bike and you got it for one hell of a price I paid about what you did and then I put way to much into it so far LOL. Your not kiddin about the torque on these things I can only imagine what an inline four 2 stroke would run like..
Old 08-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #43
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 640
Cool2

Well, good luck with piston modification.....I do not know of anyone who has replaced the reed valve piston with one without the ports.......Let us know how it goes....
Congratulations on the crank seals.....How difficult were they? Did you have to split the cases for one of them?
Love old two strokes!
spo
Old 08-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #44
crawler07 OP
Adventurer

I thought I was going to have to split the cases, but the seals dont have an outer lip so it was as easy as screwing a screw into the side of the seal and giving it a good yank ..then tap in the new one.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #45
whaleater
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Manual

hey mate. i have a full manual for the RT1-3's in pdf format if you want it. more than happy to send it to you via email, just let me know.
in the meantime, can you tell me where you got your gas cap? that this is amazing!!

great thread by the way. looks awesome so far.
whaleater is offline   Reply With Quote