ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
MntnMan OP
It's the Journey
 
MntnMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 28
Tiger 800 Slip-on mufflers

Ok, I have searched for hours all over- and can't find much information about muffler options for the Triumph Tiger 800 XC. Yes, I have read quite a bit about the Arrow and the Leo Vince, and a bit in the UK about Fuel Exhaust, etc.

I am looking to lighten the machine in several other ways as well, but the big 'ol stock muffler is just too heavy- too wide- and too.... big.

I saw some pictures on the Yoshimura RS-4 muffler and it looks about the smallest, most tucked in. I haven't seen any claims regarding weight.

Two Brothers looks quite promising as well, would love to see more pictures though to see the rear profile, etc. They claim that their muffler will drop 9.5 lbs of weight from stock, but I can't find the actual weight anywhere.

This bike with hard luggage and requisite racks/tubes/etc is just way too wide.

I am not super concerned about sound/performance modification- that is not what I am going for. I am looking to fab up better racks and lighter luggage than is available and need to start with downsizing the muffler.

Does anyone have any direct experience with any of the options out there?
__________________
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."
Douglas Adams
MntnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.
 
BOOTLACE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Methane Central..(Sth Gippsland)
Oddometer: 3,637
http://staintune.com.au/exhausts/tri..._Staintune.htm
__________________
bootlace
BOOTLACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Big Jon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SW Iowa
Oddometer: 283
Scorpion Serket

http://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/pro...tml?autoid=524
__________________
JON
Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
frytown
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 66
I have run a Leo Vince on my former 800 roadie, and now my XC. But I always end up taking it off after a couple days. I swear I can feel the little bit of weight loss, which is great, but the endless droning of the pipe is just too much to bear on my mostly freeway commute.

I've heard others complain about similar issues with non-Leo Vince alternatives as well. I read about it regarding the Fuel pipe specifically somewhere.

That said, I was passed not long ago by another 800 with what looked to be an Akrapovic (though I didn't know they made a Tiger can), and it sounded fantastic.
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
MntnMan OP
It's the Journey
 
MntnMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 28
The start of a list

Short list in progress of available exhausts for the Tiger 800/800 XC with some comparison:

Stock Triumph: 12.1lbs (5.50kg)
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Two Brothers: 3.90lbs (1.76kg) $440
GPR Powercone: 4.40lbs (2.00kg) $550
Fuel Exhaust: 4.85lbs (2.2kg)
Yoshimura: ?? (??) $316
Scorpion: 5.13lbs (2.32kg) $386
Remus: 5.40lbs (2.45kg) $719
Zard: 5.90lbs (2.7kg)
Akropovic: 6.39lbs (2.9kg) $887
Arrow: 6.80lbs (3.08kg) $600
Leo Vince CF: 6.98lbs (3.17kg)
Staintuned: 7.71lbs (3.50kg)
Leo Vince: 7.76lbs (3.52kg) $318
sc-project: $588
Trident:
MTC CF:
__________________
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."
Douglas Adams
MntnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #6
CRFan1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Northwest Indiana
Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post
I have run a Leo Vince on my former 800 roadie, and now my XC. But I always end up taking it off after a couple days. I swear I can feel the little bit of weight loss, which is great, but the endless droning of the pipe is just too much to bear on my mostly freeway commute.

I've heard others complain about similar issues with non-Leo Vince alternatives as well. I read about it regarding the Fuel pipe specifically somewhere.

That said, I was passed not long ago by another 800 with what looked to be an Akrapovic (though I didn't know they made a Tiger can), and it sounded fantastic.

I have the Leo on mine and at around town cruising speeds it does drone pretty bad....at highway speeds it is better. However, it sounds so wicked I would never take it off, lol
CRFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:05 AM   #7
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 633
I run the stainless MTC shorty muffler.

Even with the bung in it aint quiet, but it is the toughest sounding Tiger I've heard
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #8
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 182
Thanks for this data. I was all set to buy the Leo Vince but availability is spotty and part of my goal is to drop weight (clearly not only by changing mufflers). Does anyone have experience with Two Brothers?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MntnMan View Post
Short list in progress of available exhausts for the Tiger 800/800 XC with some comparison:

Stock Triumph: 12.1lbs (5.50kg)
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Two Brothers: 3.90lbs (1.76kg) $440
GPR Powercone: 4.40lbs (2.00kg) $550
Fuel Exhaust: 4.85lbs (2.2kg)
Yoshimura: ?? (??) $316
Scorpion: 5.13lbs (2.32kg) $386
Remus: 5.40lbs (2.45kg) $719
Zard: 5.90lbs (2.7kg)
Akropovic: 6.39lbs (2.9kg) $887
Arrow: 6.80lbs (3.08kg) $600
Leo Vince CF: 6.98lbs (3.17kg)
Staintuned: 7.71lbs (3.50kg)
Leo Vince: 7.76lbs (3.52kg) $318
sc-project: $588
Trident:
MTC CF:
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Baja Dad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Norco California
Oddometer: 1,847
IMO-Yoshimura hands down !!!!
__________________
2014 support: GPR,IMS Aurora Rally Kriega, Raiden LS2,100Goggles,SIDI,Seat Concepts, Rally Raid Products UK,Precision Concepts, MX1West,Dunlop
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
MntnMan OP
It's the Journey
 
MntnMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 28
Weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
IMO-Yoshimura hands down !!!!
Hey- that is actually how I am leaning, do you happen to know the weight of the Yoshimura? I have looked everywhere- but apparently someone will need to weigh it and post it!
__________________
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."
Douglas Adams
MntnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
Antiquar
Adventurer
 
Antiquar's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 79
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
IMO-Yoshimura hands down !!!!
It sounds wonderful on youtube videos. How loud is the exhaust in person?
Antiquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
MntnMan OP
It's the Journey
 
MntnMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 28
Do you have a link to a vid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquar View Post
It sounds wonderful on youtube videos. How loud is the exhaust in person?
I did a search and found lots for the RS-4, but not on the Tiger 800- maybe I haven't looked hard enough...
__________________
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."
Douglas Adams
MntnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
Antiquar
Adventurer
 
Antiquar's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MntnMan View Post
I did a search and found lots for the RS-4, but not on the Tiger 800- maybe I haven't looked hard enough...
I can't find it now. I probably watched that Tiger Explorer Yoshimura vid without noticing. Whoops.

I'm tempted to go with the Arrow pipe for the tuned factory map... but so expensive.
Antiquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #14
cwadej
Keeper of the truth
 
cwadej's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Arlington, TX
Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquar View Post
I can't find it now. I probably watched that Tiger Explorer Yoshimura vid without noticing. Whoops.

I'm tempted to go with the Arrow pipe for the tuned factory map... but so expensive.

Supposedly the GPR run on factory map as well. A guy on Triumph Rat has the Deeptone on his. I'm leaning that way due to width. I'll be able to pull my racks in to keep a narrow ass.
__________________
...They will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!
cwadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #15
BlueByU06
Ribbon Rider
 
BlueByU06's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Coast of Cal
Oddometer: 242
I would like exhaust that I don't have to repack every other week too keep the sound down. So NON repacking exhaust is the only option for me... Which means $$$'s. IMHO We have a 800xc with Ark???? at the local Triumph shop but haven't heard it yet. I should have taken pictures.
__________________
The Mountains Are Calling ME and I must Go.
Vietnam Vet. 68-69
2013 Triumph 800xc
2005 Klr 650
BlueByU06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014