User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #1606
droid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
no power wheelies yet but it isn't exactly a strong point of mine

braking power is ok but I can feel the weight of the bike when on the front brake. The gearing is quite long and first gear in corners is something I need to tell myself is ok, coming off a hex head boxer this motor is very smooth and so it would seem that things aren't as IN YOUR FACE when the engine is used to help slow down, though it was a point I liked too, don't get me wrong - the boxer motors are fantastic for sqeezing on and off with no need for braking

the rear brake (which I haven't had whilst owning a BMW R1200S) is nice and strong and feely ~ albeit spongy

the combination of engine and both brakes for slowing is fine and once I work it out will be a hoot

the bike squatting half way through a corner and from there winding it on is fun and as eluded to, I could be down another gear too so, yes bottom end to explore and map if needed, let her loosen up a bit before going completely nuts - well at least get the first service logged without any silly information being provided to the dealer

clear as mud?
droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #1607
Salvo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer

droid, thanks for the pics and the comments. Stateside by me I am waiting to see if this will released in 2013. Have scoured all resources on which Adventure Tourer to finally get, almost pulled the trigger on the Yamaha XT1200, with this as a possible option I want to see it before I commit. I really liked the XT's comfortable riding position, have you ever ridden the XT, if so, how does it compare in your opinion?

Please keep your comments coming, love the pics man
Salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #1608
droid
Adventurer

sorry salvo have not been on here for a bit...

so far I have moved the bars forward again after trying them back towards me - but no good when standing so forward they go

still messing with the rear suspension - just personal preference and about to stiffen up the front end to see how that goes

got some stuff coming

all in all its fantastic - went up some slippery roads on the weekend with 90kms of gravel and water filled potholes and some mud - 320kms on the one tank with all sorts of riding, I expect touring would be 350km right out of the box)

the traction control is really cool, a little loss of traction for just a tiny second then it grabs, you can come out of a corner in the gravel and pin the throttle and it will do a tiny spin(so it is not obtrusive) and then back the motor down but even that is only brief because as soon as it gets traction your off again - superb!

have not ridden the yamaha sorry mate

here are some pics from the weekend

Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #1609
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,997
Good onya for getting her dirty mate. Looks like a fender extender and shock shield would be good investments.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #1610
droid
Adventurer

cheers!

yes yes a fender extender and hugger are on the list, amongst every other bloody thing but they need to step up the list of priorities me thinks
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #1611
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post
cheers!

yes yes a fender extender and hugger are on the list, amongst every other bloody thing but they need to step up the list of priorities me thinks
Don't do the hugger, but go for the rear shock shield from Desertstorm bike (www.desertstorm-bike.de) . Its very simple, cheap and easy to install. Don't know if it is available for the CT - it is for the XL1000V Varadero; I just purchased a new one for my new bike. I didn't even had to pay in advance - just ordered the part on the Internet, and within 2 days it was deliverd in The Netherlands incl a bill with payment instructions. But I guess asking is the cheapest way to learn if it is available:

Look on the site for 'Spritzschutz'. Only 14,50 ...

Frontfender extender same story... Ordered it from the Dutch company MDI motorcycle equippement, its seems to be an universal piece but they have a rear hugger for the CT on their assortiment as well:
http://www.mdi-online.nl/webshop/art...5bb067&lang=uk

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #1612
Carl Down Under
Aussiwican

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post
so far I have moved the bars forward again after trying them back towards me - but no good when standing so forward they go
Thanks for the dirt report Droid! Good to see a CT get dirty. Would love to hear your impressions of the ABS in the dirt. Would you trust it down a steep slippery slope? Sounds like you preferred leaving the traction control on in the dirt.

I've had a test ride and love this machine. The motor is awesome (preferred it over the Triumph, which was nice).
Old 09-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #1613
droid
Adventurer

thanks for the info!

um, well I am not an offroader so yeah - I turned off the TC on the gravel roads and span the rear quite alot. I put it back on and it felt sure footed. I know some will say yeah but you use the rear wheel spin to steer but for someone like me and on a big heavy bike, I'm a long way from that sort of riding.

I was concerned going up some slippery muddy hills because what if the TC engages and you come to a standstill and cant hold it, but it crawled up the hills slowly (it's easy to balance) almost like low range four wheel drive

at the end of the day I was in unfamiliar places on a bike (also unfamiliar) with tyres that maybe aren't quite up to it.

It all went well, indeed there was some arm tension

on a downhill steep slippery slope I don't know what would happen and would prefer the abs was switchable because in that situation I understand loking the rear to point the bike in the right direction. I am sure that some chunky tyres would help alot. I did try the abs out both front and rear and it took more than I thought to kick in

the ABS and TC do not seem to be intrusive
Old 09-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #1614
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
@ Droid: your experiences with the ABS linked brakes underline the experiences (positive as well) which I have with the ABS/CBS brakes on my Varadero. They do a proper job, without getting intrusive!

Whilst on the paved roads, they stop the bike like throwing an anchor out... This system has given me so much confidence, that I consider people who are even thinking about un-linking the CBS brakes or dismantling the ABS must be totally mad!

I haven't got experiences with recent Honda motorcycles vv traction control (except from the testspin during the CT introduction in Spain, last February), but from the MK1 ST1100 ABS/TCS my brother owned several years ago, I know it is simply bullet-proof.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #1615
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,997
Droid, thanks again for the flow of info. Hope more VFRX owners do the same.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #1616
Salvo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
VFR 1200 Crosstourer

Thanks for the info and pics Droid! I am hoping we see this bike in the States for 2013. C'mon Honda, we're neglected enough - no Transalp, no Varadero. FINALLY glad to see the US Adv bike market catching up with the rest of the world, never understood why it didn't happen sooner, used to LOVE the KLR and the XT 600 back in the day in Europe, came here and zilch, nothing, nadda, niente, until BMW got the GS adv thing going, still took over a decade to get the Japs to send over their bikes and some, like Honda, STILL to this day haven't put out an Adv bike on our market??
Looking fwd to an update on Fenda extenda and hugger with pics! thanks man
Salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #1617
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,521
indications the Crossrunner and Crosstourer will be in the US in 2013
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...2013-Honda.htm
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #1618
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
indications the Crossrunner and Crosstourer will be in the US in 2013
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...2013-Honda.htm
This looks like a world-market rather than US list and includes a lot of bikes that have never been imported to the US and probably never will (e.g., the CBF1000A).

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #1619
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
This looks like a world-market rather than US list and includes a lot of bikes that have never been imported to the US and probably never will (e.g., the CBF1000A).

- Mark
total motorcycle is a US based website that focuses on US bikes.
if it was worldwide there would be ALO more bikes on there that honda makes elsewhere.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #1620
razcob
Dromedary

Oddometer: 327
If you click on Yamaha, they don't list the XT660, ( which isn't offered in the US). I hope this isn't wishful thinking. I have plans to buy a Super Tenere, but would like to compare the Crosstourer.
razcob is offline   Reply With Quote