Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #1726
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,894
I prefer the tubeless spoke wheels as well for the function and looks. Whether to waste time cleaning them is a personal choice.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #1727
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlu View Post
I'm very interested in this bike since Honda really makes rock solid reliable bikes and I do not ride any hardcore off road trails. I hope they bring this to the US. Anybody knows if typically the decisions to bring it to the States are announced in the NYC motorcycle show?
No rhyme or reason as to when they will decide anything.

American Honda typically develops and brings bikes to the US that nobody wants and then complains about slow sales. The bikes that we want such as this one stands little chance of making it to the US because they would no longer be able to complain about slow sales.

For at least the last decade American Honda has been completely out of touch with the motorcycle buying public. There is a ton of former VFR owners that have gotten a bit older and would jump at a bike like this. Instead, they bring over the VFR1200 that nobody wants and become gun shy about bringing over the Crosstourer. This is the bike they should have brought over here in the first place.

Attention Honda: Pay attention to Forums like this and start bringing over the bikes we want to buy. You make great engines and have great engineering but you need to listen to your potential buyers.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #1728
sweetlu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
No rhyme or reason as to when they will decide anything.

American Honda typically develops and brings bikes to the US that nobody wants and then complains about slow sales. The bikes that we want such as this one stands little chance of making it to the US because they would no longer be able to complain about slow sales.

For at least the last decade American Honda has been completely out of touch with the motorcycle buying public. There is a ton of former VFR owners that have gotten a bit older and would jump at a bike like this. Instead, they bring over the VFR1200 that nobody wants and become gun shy about bringing over the Crosstourer. This is the bike they should have brought over here in the first place.

Attention Honda: Pay attention to Forums like this and start bringing over the bikes we want to buy. You make great engines and have great engineering but you need to listen to your potential buyers.
I just saw they announced 6 new models and neither the Xrunner or the Xtourer were released, bummer.
sweetlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:07 AM   #1729
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Honda has announced on the EICMA (Milan Intern. motorcycle exhibition) that they are developing 'a new series of larger bikes for the US market'. Including a artist impression showing a silhouette of... a Cruiser.

Its the same everywhere... In the EU biker-communities (forums) complain about the fact that Honda is only developing bikes who are not applying to taste and demands from the public. Same in the US.

Only the Asians are happy with the 125/250 cc mopeds. And Honda too - cause there is where the profits are. Not in the 'spoiled' western markets...

Honda is loosing grip on the market everywhere. They just released a new CB500X bike (below) - funny, cause I don't have a clue where to put this bike in comparison with the 700X... Look at the pics below. It seems that the 500X still has the old 500cc twin from the good, old CB500 which develops a good 58 Bhp; where the new 700 twin only gives 48 Bhp - 200cc extra and 10 Bhp less - I am confused.

CB500X

NC700X

Crossrunner V4 800cc (VFR800i)

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!

Two Plugs screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 02:12 AM Reason: adding info
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #1730
droid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
had two "moments" on this ride, one unseen washout/flood drain and the other when she climbed up a wheel rut before spearing off sideways but all's well that ends well!

droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #1731
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,736
May!

Have a serious look at one of these, if they ever come to Canukstan. Real happy with my S10 right now.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #1732
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Nice pics Droid.

Good to see one on the wild

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #1733
twinrider
pass the catnip

Nice pics Droid.

Graham, were you ever able to have a go on the Crosstourer? Wondering how it compares to the S10.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #1734
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Nice pics Droid.

Graham, were you ever able to have a go on the Crosstourer? Wondering how it compares to the S10.
No. The S10 suits me so well that I have lost interest. But one day if I am stuck near a Honda Dealer with some time to kill I definitely will. Preferably a Honda Ride day so I can try a few other things as well.
I keep my eyes open for those. They are good value

But the Xtourer is a good thing for less gnarly people who could just save a lot of money over another brand. It's great value where I live.

It's a good thing I reckon.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #1735
twinrider
pass the catnip

I had a go on an S10 and didn't find it slow, well compared to my TDM900 anyhow. Would like to try a Crosstourer before pulling the trigger on an S10 but Honda offers no demos while trying to sell it at a premium price that's higher than the Yamaha here in Japan.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #1736
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I had a go on an S10 and didn't find it slow, well compared to my TDM900 anyhow..
Nothing in this class is slow. It comes down to purpose, tradeoffs, and use. The S10 motor is a real treat off road and fast and smooth enough to get you into trouble on road. That's just what I wanted. But that's me.

The KTM is great off road to the point it's wasted on me, but a bit too much "character" on road.

But I will try and get a ride. I just hate wasting peoples time that's all.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #1737
twinrider
pass the catnip

The Honda's motor must be a real gem but am not crazy about the rest of the CT's design, I think Honda's bean-counters had the upper hand in overseeing the conversion of the VFR1200F to the X. The S10 just seems more well thought out in terms of overall design.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #1738
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The Honda's motor must be a real gem but am not crazy about the rest of the CT's design, I think Honda's bean-counters had the upper hand in overseeing the conversion of the VFR1200F to the X. The S10 just seems more well thought out in terms of overall design.
My thoughts on that one..

1) I think the Honda brief was to make a Soft roader, because that's exactly what most people will find the most useful.
From what I have read the Xtourer will do a stellar job of tarmac and gravel roads. The power and the economy actually now give it RANGE and the motor is a real world motor unlike the many Sports Tourers that are great once you start traveling at 200Km/h and you avoid potholes.

2) I think a lot of people don't see past weight, HP and Style and no matter how many times they are told that there is more to it than that it takes a bit of time to learn the differences.

3) Unlike most people on this board, many people just decide they want X, go down to [brand of choice] showroom and see "Adventure bike". Salesman says it's the best thing since [whatever] and they arrange finance. That's what Salespeople are there for. determine how clueless customer is (or not) and go from there.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #1739
droid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
not sure if i find point 3 insulting or not

at the end of the day there are people out there that have clocked up a good amount of kms and everyone seems happy, as a member of well you know, um elsewhere - the crew are all very happy with their VFR 1200 Xs

i am not sure what conditions you would want to see one in, yeah dunno but with only 1250 kms on the clock I only have the really gnarly stuff to try and that all comes down to rider skill anyway, maybe i could kill someone on a drz400 and while at it some 80 year old would cruise past me on a BMW RT like it was nothing...

someone else said the same sort of thing, ie: people love honda and just buy it and get ****ed up the arse while doing so hmmn - well a large % of the unmentionable forum members are from BMW including myself, i am happy to stay at the back and pick up the pieces - only jokes!

I ride a postie bike for three to four hours a day every day and have for the last 7 years with 2 weeks holiday in the last 4

i certainly dont get on this whale and immediatley experience concerns

i think it's gonna take a photo of a big whip and proof of a clean $late to be able to say "talk to the armpit - coz you're not worth the extension"
droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #1740
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
My thoughts on that one..

1) I think the Honda brief was to make a Soft roader, because that's exactly what most people will find the most useful.
From what I have read the Xtourer will do a stellar job of tarmac and gravel roads. The power and the economy actually now give it RANGE and the motor is a real world motor unlike the many Sports Tourers that are great once you start traveling at 200Km/h and you avoid potholes.

2) I think a lot of people don't see past weight, HP and Style and no matter how many times they are told that there is more to it than that it takes a bit of time to learn the differences.
No doubt it is an excellent bike and the weight/handing is not an issue. Just not crazy about Honda's present fixation with the "alien wearing a ball-gag" headlight. And wish they had designed the fairing to provide a bit more wind protection and better integrate the radiator. Would have been nice if Honda designers had drawn a bit more inspiration from the Africa Twin. Remember when this AT1200 rumor was making the rounds?