Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #1846
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Has Honda dropped the model?

I notice that the Crosstourer does not appear on Honda's 2013 range website:

http://www.hondamc2013.com/2013-range/

Then again, neither does the Gold Wing, and I don't imagine they are dumping that one. The F6B is there.

The Crosstourer has recently been discounted heavily in Australia as well. I rode one recently, 30 min or so. Very nice engine for touring: understated but engaging. Front tyre seemed very remote. Footpegs dug into calves at a stop: placement felt unusually forward.

Felt like a very pleasant but weighty long-distance tourer. Hard to imagine riding it successfully on a soft surface (mud, sand) tho: a "dab" would hardly suffice if she started to tip.

Hyperpro offers an aftermarket shock and progressive springs, I have noticed.

Do owners posting on this thread have further comments? How is the romance holding up?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:33 AM   #1847
ukiboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post

Then again, neither does the Gold Wing, and I don't imagine they are dumping that one. The F6B is there.

The Crosstourer has recently been discounted heavily in Australia as well. I rode one recently, 30 min or so. Very nice engine for touring: understated but engaging. Front tyre seemed very remote. Footpegs dug into calves at a stop: placement felt unusually forward.

Felt like a very pleasant but weighty long-distance tourer. Hard to imagine riding it successfully on a soft surface (mud, sand) tho: a "dab" would hardly suffice if she started to tip.

Hyperpro offers an aftermarket shock and progressive springs, I have noticed.

Do owners posting on this thread have further comments? How is the romance holding up?
The romance is holding up very well for me. This bike is great on rough potholed roads although I personally wouldn't take it too far off road as its a big heavy beast. I'd suggest its more of a competitor to the likes of a 1050 tiger as opposed to a GS or a KTM Adventure. It's like a TDM 900 on steroids!
I like the high up riding position, the long travel suspension and the superb motor and shaft drive train. Comfort, handling and build quality are also superb. All in all its a great bike
ukiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #1848
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post

Probably have leftover GWs they want t get rid of, same for the CT.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #1849
J-P
headbanging adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Almost 20K kms on it and the love has grown even stronger. Trustworthy companion which does the job perfectly, no issues. It`s faster than the new KTM 1190, we discovered a week ago. Not that important but funny, as the KTM oozes speed and power. The bike holds out well on gravel surfaces, like any other overweight bike it is not built to ride mud or sand. I have a DR650 for that so why bother anyway...

`98 DR650SE
`12 VFR1200X DCT
J-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #1850
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-P View Post
Almost 20K kms on it and the love has grown even stronger. Trustworthy companion which does the job perfectly, no issues. It`s faster than the new KTM 1190, we discovered a week ago. Not that important but funny, as the KTM oozes speed and power. The bike holds out well on gravel surfaces, like any other overweight bike it is not built to ride mud or sand. I have a DR650 for that so why bother anyway...
How about some details?
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #1851
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
New international Honda Crosstourer Forum online from today!

Hi All

The International Varadero & Crosstourer Forum has successfully moved to its new home base.
We are looking forward to receive many new members registering from today!

http://www.vci-forum.com/index.php?action=forum

The old forum will remain online till May 1st, 2013 and will be shut down to 'read only' from that date.

The existing URL varadero-international.com and crosstourer-international.com will be redirected to our new home base from May 1st.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #1852
J-P
headbanging adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
How about some details?
Like what? Handling? Costs?

`98 DR650SE
`12 VFR1200X DCT
Old 04-25-2013, 01:44 AM   #1853
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,188
Quote:
Like what? Handling? Costs?
No, details on the circumstances/event where the Honda proved to be faster than the new KTM. Interesting considering the KTM is lighter and has 20 more hp.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #1854
J-P
headbanging adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
No, details on the circumstances/event where the Honda proved to be faster than the new KTM. Interesting considering the KTM is lighter and has 20 more hp.
Just a guy I rode with and did some traffic light sprints. Dry roads, normal conditions. You can have all the power you want but you don`t beat Dual Clutch Transmission, so it seems. Lovely

`98 DR650SE
`12 VFR1200X DCT
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #1855
Bwondzuki
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Crosstour vs. Varadero

I'm considering trading my 2005 Wee-Strom for a 2008 Varadero 1000. I rode one last summer and really liked it. Yes, it's a bit heavier than the 'Strom but I found it more comforatable and the extra power would be welcome on long hauls. What kind of mileage would I expect to get? I've been spoiled by the DL which consistently gets 45-50mpg on the highway and 55 around town. It's not that I don't like the 'Strom, it's a great bike. Does the Varadero have any "known issues?" What would be a fair price for a low mileage 2008 Varadero in excellent condition?
Bwondzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #1856
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwondzuki View Post
I'm considering trading my 2005 Wee-Strom for a 2008 Varadero 1000.
I assume you're aware it was never imported to the US? Thus, any bike you find will be "grey market"? I don't think that, in general, the Varadero is that highly-regarded and given the lack of support, it would be an odd choice to replace a Wee you currently like. Why not consider a V-Strom 1000?

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 12:25 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #1857
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I assume you're aware it was never imported to the US? Thus, any bike you find will be "grey market"? I don't think that, in general, the Varadero is that highly-regarded and given the lack of support, it would be an odd choice to replace a V-Strom 1000 you currently like.

- Mark
WeeStrom, he's looking for a bit more oomph, so yes I'd agree the V-Strom 1000 may be a better direction. I'll agree with Mark about importing the bike. I rode a Honda CBF1000 for 3 years. They were only imported to Canada (like the Varadero) and not the US. Never again will I buy a bike that's NOT imported in the US. Parts for the CBF were atrociously high priced. It was cheaper for me to order and ship parts from the UK than it was to buy from my local dealer, and we're talking hundreds cheaper not just a few bucks. My stator fried: $550 from my local dealer and he was giving me a deal, plus my dealer is 1 1/2 hour drive away; $330 shipped from the UK, to my door, $$ exchange factored in.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #1858
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I assume you're aware it was never imported to the US? Thus, any bike you find will be "grey market"? I don't think that, in general, the Varadero is that highly-regarded and given the lack of support, it would be an odd choice to replace a Wee you currently like. Why not consider a V-Strom 1000?

- Mark
Mark,

Own experiences? I think he should chat to the US members who do own a Varadero. These days with the Internet, you can get parts all over the place by post order. And the Varadero XL1000V is / was on the Honda program in Canada.

It is a fair alternative choice for the Vstrom DL1000 in terms of quality, comfort and reliability. Cheap to run too, but go for an after 2008 model.

The only thing which could hold you back is import taxes. I don't have a clue if the US customs are charging and on what level for import parts / bikes.

But again... the US guys riding a Varadero can help; like Al Wise in NY and Trey Hall in TX.

To the Varadero vv Crosstourer comparance... They are not that far separated. Besides the shaft ride of the CT, I could not find any point which would make me invest over € 5.000,- more for a CT. The CT is a newer design and bike. Its good. Well build. But that counts for the Varadero too. The CT isn't a bad bike. Its good. But not that good to make up a € 5.000,- price difference and thats why I decided last year to go for one of the very last Varadero's I could get my hands on... ;)

Check also the new forum: www.vci-forum.com regarding both bikes (Crosstourer and Varadero)

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!

Two Plugs screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 03:40 PM
Two Plugs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #1859
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Many thanks to those posting on the durability of a crosstourer romance. I'm still watching.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #1860
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
no honda crosstourer in the usa

it is a shame that honda will not sell the crosstourer in the usa . i am only a few weeks away from picking up a 2013 bmw r1200gs wc ( thunder grey ) . i would like to have had the opportunity to test ride a crosstourer because i am fascinated with the dual clutch and huge engine on the honda crosstourer . this is just from what i have read and the pics i have seen . the 2013 bmw r1200gs wc is a great all around tour bike so i am still keen on my thunder grey bmw . the honda crosstourer looks great ( in pics ) and not having to shift is probably the way of the future especially for large semi offroad tour bikes . i have a feeling that honda will eventually sell the crosstourer in the usa . but it will be long after i have put many miles on a new 2013 thunder grey bmw r1200gs wc . honda won't miss my 20 grand anyway .

doggrell3000
new york ny
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote