User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #1951
J-P
headbanging adventurer

Oddometer: 152
It get`s dirty all the time:

The only thing that makes the GS better off road is the fact that you can switch off the ABS and, if in the rare occasion you drop it, it`s a bit lighter. My dealer and I are trying to make the ABS switchable but it is not that easy, it causes some serious difficulties with the DCT. The engine is 2nd to none, I love it. Here some off road footage

https://vimeo.com/66770040

`98 DR650SE
`12 VFR1200X DCT

J-P screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 10:53 AM
J-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #1952
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 437
Had 2 ST1300's first one got totaled when I hit left turning SUV, I think the BMW gods were mad that I went to Honda, got another one about 6 months later, great bikes except for the frigging heat coming off the motor.

Back ona GSA - fits better
Old 09-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #1953
J-P
headbanging adventurer

Dude, this ain`t no ST1300 (and I`m glad it`s no 1200GSA as well, rode one for 140K kms and it left me in the lurch numbers of times, fed up with beamers.

`98 DR650SE
`12 VFR1200X DCT
Old 09-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #1954
DiamondLie
Banned

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-P View Post
Dude, this ain`t no ST1300 (and I`m glad it`s no 1200GSA as well, rode one for 140K kms and it left me in the lurch numbers of times, fed up with beamers.
It's all good, buddy. Take a breath and don't beemer-bash. I think srpuywa actually has a point about the GSA's fitting some guys better. If you are over 6'2" with a long inseam it's hard to beat the ergos on a GSA!

Plug in both bikes here to see what I mean:

http://cycle-ergo.com/
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #1955
J-P
headbanging adventurer

I`m 6,5/ I have fitted a higher Touratech seat on theCrosstourer which suits me perfectly. Standard ergonomics of the GSA were not too good for me either, I had to fit a higher Corbin seat to replace that shabby stock seat. I have ridden over 400.000 kms on Beemers since 2003, as long as they don`t break down they`re a helluva ride, but I really prefer bikes with better built quality... and there, the Honda wins afaic.

`98 DR650SE
`12 VFR1200X DCT
Old 09-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #1956
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
I`m 6,5/ I have fitted a higher Touratech seat on theCrosstourer which suits me perfectly. Standard ergonomics of the GSA were not too good for me either, I had to fit a higher Corbin seat to replace that shabby stock seat. I have ridden over 400.000 kms on Beemers since 2003, as long as they don`t break down they`re a helluva ride, but I really prefer bikes with better built quality... and there, the Honda wins afaic.
I'm 6,8 and there are not that much bikes which will fit me without adjusting or modifying. The XL1000V Varadero is one of the happy few, but on Ergo's the VFR1200X is a very good 2nd.

Even in a direct comparing with a 1200GS(A).

Haven't had a go on the new 2013 1200GS though, but I do love the ergo's of BMW's F800GS. But it feels soooo tiny...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #1957
J-P
headbanging adventurer

Yesterday my crosstourer had it`s 40K kms maintenance and this is a quick summery of my findings:

Overall

It went by effortlessly, no real problems, very dependable.

Warranty
Up until now I had 2 (well, 3) warranty issues: head bearings replaced at 12K , front brake pads replaced at 12K because of leaking fork seals (which were not faulty but could not stand offroad work, solved by installing protective sleeves around the inner legs) and at 40K ir turned out that the inside of my headlight had some minor cracks, my dealer thought it was not normal so I got a new headlight.

usage
It hasn`t used a drop of oil, the only signs of wear on the bike are tires, brake pads and foot pegs. Up until now I had 5 sets of tires, I think my current set will last another 4K, I hope.

OEM delivered Pirelli Scorpions trail 0-5500 kms :Very sticky but fast wear. Perfect tire to goof around with when TCS is disengaged. Very predictable.

5500- 18600 km Conti Trail Attack 1: good tire, liked the mileage, a bit uncertain in wet conditions but when taking that into account a very decent tire.

18600- 26200 km Conti trail attack 2: Awesome tire in wet and dry, killer angles were possible. The wear was enough reason not to go by this one again. If I would ride less, this would be my favorite.

26200 - 35700 Bridgestone Battlewing:In dry very decent, in wet a source of uncertainty. I could `ve been sliding over tarmac in a few occasions with this one, clearly an outdated tire.

35700 - now: Dunlop TR91: very sticky but cupping fast and is showing a lot of wear now... Will not be continued. Next up is the Anakee or the Metzeler but given my poor tire mileage I`d probably better switch to road tires instead of allroad tires. I don`t like the look of road tires but up until now my boss doesn`t like the look of his bank balance after changing tires again...

Concerning fuel: he bike is doing a better mileage now than in it`s first 10K, when I behave I get about 5,5 litres per 100 kms, when I go sporty, it`s still about 6,5 to 7 litrs. Not thirstier than my previous GSses which in itself is a bonus for me. Mileage with the large panniers is much worse though...

Handling

I can do whatever I want to do with this bike, even with the dual clutch. It just took a little of getting accustomed to. When pushing it at very low speeds it`s not quite as nimble as a GS for instance, but if you`re convinced in yourself and the bike, all is possible.

Warning

Points of warning: the maintenance interval of 12K kms is too long. Why? brake pads don`t last exactly 24K kms for instance, and dealers are to make sure that you can ride from service interval to service interval. They might opt to change your just over half worn brake pads just to make sure that you`ll manage to last to the next service interval. My dealer just said to monitor it closely, the pads are on the shelve and when they`re worn they`ll be replaced instantly. Same concerning head bearing, the first 12K interval is too long, they actually need to be checked/tightened sooner. That could have prevented my head bearings warranty claim. It`s silly though: the costs of replacing your brake pads too soon are higher in the long run than that extra 6k km service check.

Of course, it`s no hard core allroad bike. I found that out the hard way, my front rim is a little bit crooked because of it. It makes the bike bounce between 40-55 kms/hr which is unfortunate because that is around the inner city speed limit here in the Netherlands. During wintertime I`ll have the wheel checked out and straightened. I think it`s mainly because of the shape (bend) of the spokes. The GS spoked rims have straighter spokes which I feel makes the entire wheel sturdier, the CT wheel is just not as good I`m sorry to say. Wink

Overall I`m a happy camper with this bike. Only once it had a rare starting problem where it took almost a minute to start. The rest of the time and kms were effortless. This is one hellova bike, really. It`s not what you call standard anymore, but changed to my needs. But that awesome V4 and flawless camshaft are still very much the same.

Mods:

- MRA screen
- MiGSel navi mount
- Kenwood/velltec intercom
- hyperpro suspension
- front fenda extender
- bicycle bell
- sw-motech 12v tankbag
- SWmotech handguards
- shorter brake handle
- bagster tank cover
- Givi crashbars
- GoPro cams front & back
- H&B side panniers
- rear wheel hugger (VFR OEM)
- neoprene fork legs and rear spring cover
- Beowulf radiator guard
- extra 12v sockets front and back
- centre stand
- Warm `n Safe heatcontroller for my electric jacket /gloves
- Leovince carbon exhaust
- Touratech higher seat
- hawk lights on crashbar
- xenon headlight
- Stebel Nautilus horn

`98 DR650SE
`12 VFR1200X DCT
Old 09-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #1958
Pestifero
Dannato

Oddometer: 4
: Evil: Evil

: Clap: Clap: Clap: Clap: Clap
Pestifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #1959
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestifero View Post
: Evil: Evil

Great introduction, love that shot.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #1960
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,264
Quote:
Yesterday my crosstourer had it`s 40K kms maintenance and this is a quick summery of my findings:

I think it`s mainly because of the shape (bend) of the spokes. The GS spoked rims have straighter spokes which I feel makes the entire wheel sturdier, the CT wheel is just not as good I`m sorry to say. Wink
Don't jump to conclusions, I would say..

Enjoyed the write up.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #1961
DiamondLie
Banned

Take any bike wheel and smash it into something hard enough and it will bend.

Oh yeah...Great photo, Pestifero!!
Old 09-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #1962
J-P
headbanging adventurer

That`s the problem, I didn`t smash my wheel into something THAT HARD, otherwise I would have noticed.... and I`m pretty certain about that.

`98 DR650SE
`12 VFR1200X DCT
Old 09-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #1963
DiamondLie
Banned

Quote:
That`s the problem, I didn`t smash my wheel into something THAT HARD, otherwise I would have noticed.... and I`m pretty certain about that.
Yeah, but surely GrahamD did!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #1964
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
Yeah, but surely GrahamD did!
No that was a GS LC test from Oz. Killed the bike. Bent rim and a hole in the radiator.

You don't know whether the rim is weaker or not until you actually do some controlled tests. For some reason I see lots of comments about X being not as good as BMW, even though BMW have a lot of broken bits littering roads.

Fact is, no one really knows.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #1965
J-P
headbanging adventurer

It was merely my feeling, Graham, I`ve used my GSses the same way and never had any problems with bent rims. Overall, I FEEL that the Crosstourer is a better bike than a GS, because of the engine, tranny and camshaft, they look way better up to the task of high mileage without problems. Just had 2 days of offroad on a R1200GS LC, I like the fun factor but boy, does that engine sound horrible when you come off a Honda....

`98 DR650SE
`12 VFR1200X DCT