Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #2071
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,971
Honda offers both a standard and a dual clutch tranny. I tried the latter and didn't care much for it, but can see how it'd be nice in traffic jams and the daily commuting slog.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #2072
James666
aka: James.Mc

Oddometer: 1
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
-2 during daylight here...

Only a few weeks remaining to secure YOUR participation to the 3rd Honda Crosstourer International Meeting, early June, in Geiranger, Norway!

Check the VCIM topic for details at www.vci-forum.com
You know I'd love too :)
(aka James.Mc)
James666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #2073
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by James666 View Post
You know I'd love too :)
(aka James.Mc)
Well, James... What a surprice to see you popping up here! How's going? Not telling me that you have actually traded in the Dero for the CT?

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #2074
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
wazzup

So why is this thread so 'dead'?

Is it really such a low volume seller, this crosstourer? No one owns one? Anyone has a good explanation on why this is?

Do people only buy motorcycles that have a certain heritage and history? The 'x-factor', wanting to belong to an image that is carefully created even though they will never take it off road? (i'm obviously talking about the GS here)

Or is the crosstourer really such a bad bike?

I know this is a heavy bike, but surely that can't be that much of a deal breaker? I actually thinks it looks good too. Dare I say better than the new GS?

If you would be looking for a more road oriented adventure, this could easily fit the bill am I right? And lets face it, this is probably the kind of roads 95% of GS owners will be doing anyway.

This weekend I was riding +- 100km with a guy on a crosstourer and I was really impressed! Smooth, nice rumbling V4, sweet throaty sound (could be opened up a little more but that is why you have aftermarket cans)

How is the fuel economy on this thing?

Everywhere I read that this engine is phenomenal. Much more exciting in character than for example the beemer boxer twin. Great torque down low, totally retuned from the VFR1200 it is sourced from to actually being real life usable

below is a quote from visordown
But the grumbles pale into insignificance when you wind the taps open. The heart of this bike is that fabulous V-4 1200cc motor. With its smaller header pipes and narrower inlet trumpets (than VFR1200) it’s the torque from tickover that really impresses. With a soulful, gruff engine note and monumental shove the moment you twist the throttle, the Crosstourer is a phenomenal bike to ride all day, every day.

Dial in rock-steady handling and supreme rider comfort and you’ve got a proper cross-continent blaster that is as much fun on motorways as it is carving through mountain passes.

ARiderX screwed with this post 06-11-2014 at 01:16 PM
ARiderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #2075
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post
Everywhere I read that this engine is phenomenal. Much more exciting in character than for example the beemer boxer twin. Great torque down low, totally retuned from the VFR1200 it is sourced from to actually being real life usable

below is a quote from visordown
But the grumbles pale into insignificance when you wind the taps open. The heart of this bike is that fabulous V-4 1200cc motor. With its smaller header pipes and narrower inlet trumpets (than VFR1200) it’s the torque from tickover that really impresses. With a soulful, gruff engine note and monumental shove the moment you twist the throttle, the Crosstourer is a phenomenal bike to ride all day, every day.

Dial in rock-steady handling and supreme rider comfort and you’ve got a proper cross-continent blaster that is as much fun on motorways as it is carving through mountain passes.
Big V4 fan here, owned a VFR800FI that I loved and I had high expectations when I test-rode the DCT version. But the engine disappointingly had a lot less low-end grunt than my Super Tenere. Things didn't really start happening quickly till past 6,000 rpm. I would like to try an uncorked non-DCT VFRX before making final judgement, but it was a bit of a letdown.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #2076
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Big V4 fan here, owned a VFR800FI that I loved and I had high expectations when I test-rode the DCT version. But the engine disappointingly had a lot less low-end grunt than my Super Tenere. Things didn't really start happening quickly till past 6,000 rpm. I would like to try an uncorked non-DCT VFRX before making final judgement, but it was a bit of a letdown.
...however this video does not suggest anything like that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG04K9tsANs
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:05 AM   #2077
WeegieBored
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Here is how mine sounds. I'll do a wee write up when I get back from my holiday on it.

PLAY LOUD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aX-LSO_dAI
WeegieBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:17 AM   #2078
Adventure boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Ive owned 2 of these now they are fantastic bikes, mega reliable unbreakable, strong engine, solid handling, lots of farkles available, BUT !! in my experience they just don't have the X Factor its to be honest a bit boring,
That said if I had to buy a bike to use for the next 2 years that would do everything asked of it without Issue the Crosstourer would be the bike

Sold my 2nd one after only 2 weeks and bought a Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 Which really does have the X Factor lol
Old 06-12-2014, 01:51 AM   #2079
Bryster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Laugh Improved!

It's a great toy, had a few GS's and I've got to admit it's solid, just finished putting a few touches like the heated bars on. Went for the Oxfords, $450+ just for honda grips? What were they thinking!

The Givi Airflow is just plain awesome, albeit perhaps ugly..

Added a V46, did the brake lights, added the V35's with the quick detach rack, quicklock tank bag and protection bars and USB sockets, got to add some lights one day, but I'm more than impressed with performance. Can get roughly 340-350 a tank with a careful right hand. And it's silky smooth....

Possibly the best addition that weekend to the bike....

Gets up and goes too...
Old 06-12-2014, 01:53 AM   #2080
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
...however this video does not suggest anything like that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG04K9tsANs
I don't doubt it would do well in WFO throttle acceleration tests. What it lacks is instant arm-wrenching grunt at low rpms.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:05 AM   #2081
Bryster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Maybe

Hmm... certainly found the traction control handy when I first tried wrenching the throttle....
Find I can lug it down low as easy as the GS and fueling is spot on for low speed work.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:21 AM   #2082
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryster View Post
Hmm... certainly found the traction control handy when I first tried wrenching the throttle....
Find I can lug it down low as easy as the GS and fueling is spot on for low speed work.
I'm comparing it to my S10, which has phenomenal low end grunt, so maybe I'm spoiled.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #2083
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
I like the red one posted above, really a nice deep colour on that bike

Well, I'm surprised I have to say. Not a lot of love for the crosstourer online, not only here but comments on reviews are generally shooting the bike down for being bland and such... but who cares :)

After seeing one in the flesh it is absolutely well built and finished. Really well done up to the finest detail. Typical honda really, so hats of to them for that. And being a honda, you know they have done the engineering right so that in itself is worth a lot in my book. You just know it is gonna be reliable like an anvil, shaft and everything. (unlike...)

And the engine, also surprised at the comments here because it is described as having perfect fuelling and pulling from down low like nobodies business. I heard it while riding behind it and it definitely has character. Also more usable than the 1200 V4 from the vfr it is sourced from.

Cant wait to test ride one, hope to schedule that soon. In fact none of the big advs today are really capable for going in the real rough stuff on your own. If it is not reliability, it is weight, or fragility or both.... So I'm more in the market for a bike that has the form factor (for the size and comfort) and doesn't pretend to be something it is not, being more street oriented than off road
Old 06-13-2014, 05:26 AM   #2084
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
Just got back from yet another test ride on the XTourer (sorry NA chaps).

I must have been "off' on the last 2 test rides i had - 'cos this time was a doozy.

Clicked straight away. Smooth as silk motor with non of the low speed stumble / chudder that the VFR 1200 has. Not as much top end poke as the VFR - but the comfort and low speed manners make up for it. Gem of a machine.

Just as a comparison - i also spent a couple of hours on the new GSA LC. Came away underwhelmed. Seemed neutered and somewhat functional compared to the GS i rode last year. Kind of like when Suzuki turned the TLS into the TLR.

I find it odd that the big Bavarian bus is loved by all and sundry and the Honda relegated to also ran status.

Anybody who buys the XTourer will be a happy bunny.

Honda USA are bloody idiots for not offering it across the pond.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #2085
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I don't doubt it would do well in WFO throttle acceleration tests. What it lacks is instant arm-wrenching grunt at low rpms.
And it sounds terrible! What has honda done with the character of the V4??? It sounds like a pissed off sewing machine

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote