Originally Posted by bross
I love my Frontier!
They are great too!!
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #303
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Ridgeline? Oh now I get it, it's a car of some sort.
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #304
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma
Ridgeline? Oh now I get it, it's a car of some sort.
Some of 'em can't help it. Sometimes I feel like going on car forums and dropping lines abouit Karoos, panniers, and sprockets.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #305
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Where did you snap these pics??
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:40 AM   #306
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogrunner
Goldwings mentioned in this thread. I had one; It overheated (temp gauge to red) and leaked from the rear drive. CD changer failed, rattling plastic, broken turn signal mounts etc etc; Some had their frames crack. Honda was forced by the feds to deal with it. Honda is not the same company since Sochiro passed. I sent Honda corporate a letter. They called to say they received it. The man I spoke to admitted the Goldwing has been trouble prone...He also admitted the CBR1000RR has had issues. I have friends who ride the St1300 with instability problems. Yet they keep selling them. Honda has been running on reputation. Yamaha is a better manufacturer. Heck, the Harley I replaced my Turdwing with has been flawless. My current 'busa doesn't burn oil like the CBR. I would wait a couple of years before considering any Honda. Since I have been burned by them, I still wouldn't buy....At least then you might know you're not buying more junk like the wing.
The fact that an Harley is (more or less...) flawless is due to the fact that these days Porsche is helping them an (engeneering) hand out.

The fact that an Goldwing could be faulty could be due to the fact that it has been build in the US - not in Japan.

The only problem- Mercedesses in EU are the (first series) CLK and M-class (same problem - US build).

And we all know what happened with Detroit not that long ago...

So, could it be an US-worker-attitude? No, I don't think so. That would harm the hard working John the Plumber. Same problem can be noticed here (The Other Side of the Atalantic). After Honda decided to change the assembly of the 1997 Honda XL600V Transalp to Italy, they suffered serious problems with the finishing touch of the bikes. F.e. paint fell of, only watching it. I know, because I owned one.

Same for the XL1000V Varadero. Got one of the last Japanese Dero's - a 2000 model with 100.000 miles done and still in pristine condition - but the first series which where assembled at Honda's Montesa plant in Barcelona, Spain, suffered from rust and paint problems (occasionally but the problem was most certainly not exemplary!)

Assembly of the EU build Honda's is now strongly monitored by Japanese engineers and I must admit that after 80.000 km (50.000 mls) on the ODO (ca my current 2004 MK2 Varadero is just as faultless as my wife's 2000 MK1.

Honda would be stupid to deny and forget about the problems and customers complaints from the past. Especially for a new product which is going to be very important for their WW (World Wide) strategy.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #307
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly
Where did you snap these pics??
NEC Motorcycle Show in Birmingham (UK).
IBA #40578

Old 11-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #308
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
The fact that an Harley is (more or less...) flawless is due to the fact that these days Porsche is helping them an (engeneering) hand out.

The fact that an Goldwing could be faulty could be due to the fact that it has been build in the US - not in Japan.

The only problem- Mercedesses in EU are the (first series) CLK and M-class (same problem - US build).

And we all know what happened with Detroit not that long ago... //
Porsche helped with the V-Rod - all 20 of them....

Some US auto manufacturing plants are now better than some Japanese plants. 2010 JD Power 90 day initial quality rankings, usually dominated by luxury brands.

Quote:
Porsche leads the overall nameplate rankings, averaging 83 PP100. Following in the rankings are, respectively, Acura (which moves from 14th rank position in 2009 to second in 2010), Mercedes-Benz (which improves from sixth rank position in 2009 to third in 2010), Lexus and Ford (which moves into the top five for the first time since the inception of the study). MINI posts the largest improvement in 2010, reducing problems by 32 PP100 from 2009.

Toyota's problem count increases by 16 PP100, moving it from sixth rank position in 2009 to 21st in 2010.

...Ford and Lexus each garner three segment awards. Ford captures awards for the Focus, Mustang and Taurus, while Lexus receives awards for the GS, GX and LS models. The Lexus LS has the fewest quality problems in the industry, with just 55 PP100.

Chevrolet, Honda and Toyota receive two awards each. Chevrolet models earning awards are the Avalanche (in a tie) and the Tahoe. Honda receives awards for the Accord and the Accord Crosstour, while Toyota receives awards for the FJ Cruiser and Sienna.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #309
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,489
Nice shots Ray. Looking forward to going next Friday.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #310
stege
Wonderer

Oddometer: 287
Wicked

2011 will be a bike changing year for me and Im looking for a multi-cylinder for a change. So my options ware up until now:

KTM 990Adventure
Yamaha XT1200Z
BMW F800GS

What does Honda have to do with this CrossTourer to win me over?
  • No no-sense plastics
  • keep it under 240Kg wet
  • spoke wheels (21 front is a plus)
  • Favorite engine would have been a v2 800-1000 but its to late now (hope their 1200 v4 is one compact little worker)
  • Long travel quality suspensions (tough too, able to survive a nuclear blast or a zombie infestation whichever comes first!)
  • Adventure features: hand warmers (with the control button integrated into the bikes command block, like F800GS), hand wind deflectors, crashbars if needed, protections for sensitive equipment (for an exposed fuel pomp for example) VERY solid back frame able to sustain heavy loads under heavy shocks
  • Switchable ABS, TC
  • A very good headlight, a very good dashboard that gives me some extra information: external temperature, engine temperature (ill get back on this :P)
  • Very good mileage. Something like 40MPG at least! With a tank no smaller than 25litters. Size does matter you small eyes little bastards! (but very intelligent blokes :P non the less)
  • Injection system that can chew the worst gas out there. 89 octane purchased in the middle of nowhere in rusted canisters if you catch my drift.
  • A button that changes fuel maps: Eco, Offroad, Highway
  • Easy to maintain: central stander, easy oil changes
  • a good windshield
  • keep it under 12.000Euro
  • NO METROSEXUAL gadgets like reverse engine or electric windshields or senseless gizmos or whatever the hell a 40 years old still virgin engineer might think off.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #311
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,489
Looks like you won't be buying the Honda then.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #312
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
i like side loaders w/ inner bag linners
-i can open up with a load on top. can't do that w/ top load.
-i remove the linner and pack it by itself and quickly drop it in.

w/o a linner bag, side loaders suck
with one they are better than top loaders imo.
Hmmm, I have never had any problems with my top loading BMW bags on my 04 R1150 GSA. I can open all 3 bags will their still on the bike. They don't need liners, because they don't leak.....

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #313
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs
Hmmm, I have never had any problems with my top loading BMW bags on my 04 R1150 GSA. I can open all 3 bags will their still on the bike. They don't need liners, because they don't leak.....
i use linners like luggage. i can pack (ie roll) my clothes and gear and such in a nice flat spot (at home, in the warm tent, hotel room etc.) and then out to the bike and quickly drop it in. when you arrive at your destination, bam out comes the linner bag quickly with all your stuff. once you start using linners you'll wonder why it took you so long to.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #314
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stege
2011 will be a bike changing year for me and Im looking for a multi-cylinder for a change. So my options ware up until now:

KTM 990Adventure
Yamaha XT1200Z
BMW F800GS

What does Honda have to do with this CrossTourer to win me over?
  • No no-sense plastics
  • keep it under 240Kg wet
  • spoke wheels (21 front is a plus)
  • Favorite engine would have been a v2 800-1000 but its to late now (hope their 1200 v4 is one compact little worker)
  • Long travel quality suspensions (tough too, able to survive a nuclear blast or a zombie infestation whichever comes first!)
  • Adventure features: hand warmers (with the control button integrated into the bikes command block, like F800GS), hand wind deflectors, crashbars if needed, protections for sensitive equipment (for an exposed fuel pomp for example) VERY solid back frame able to sustain heavy loads under heavy shocks
  • Switchable ABS, TC
  • A very good headlight, a very good dashboard that gives me some extra information: external temperature, engine temperature (ill get back on this :P)
  • Very good mileage. Something like 40MPG at least! With a tank no smaller than 25litters. Size does matter you small eyes little bastards! (but very intelligent blokes :P non the less)
  • Injection system that can chew the worst gas out there. 89 octane purchased in the middle of nowhere in rusted canisters if you catch my drift.
  • A button that changes fuel maps: Eco, Offroad, Highway
  • Easy to maintain: central stander, easy oil changes
  • a good windshield
  • keep it under 12.000Euro
  • NO METROSEXUAL gadgets like reverse engine or electric windshields or senseless gizmos or whatever the hell a 40 years old still virgin engineer might think off.
Of your 16 requirements, I think this Honda will meet 2 or 3..
IBA #40578

Old 11-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #315
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
i use linners like luggage. i can pack (ie roll) my clothes and gear and such in a nice flat spot (at home, in the warm tent, hotel room etc.) and then out to the bike and quickly drop it in. when you arrive at your destination, bam out comes the linner bag quickly with all your stuff. once you start using linners you'll wonder why it took you so long to.
I have shoulder straps for my BMW bags and since they are quick release, I just take them into the tent, house, hotel, where ever. Works well for me.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote