Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 12:13 AM   #361
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squily View Post
HONDA RULE!!!

I'd rather keep my old AT than swap to one of these newer generation softies.

And yes, I have tried the other brands, but always came back to the AT.

And no, its not standard, but I have spent less on customizing my AT than I spent on riggin my Varadero and the AT can go much more places than my current Varadero, previously owned BMW or Yamaha. Still undecided on the new Triumph- looks really good on paper, but so does the Super-Ten and I was REALLY disappointed when I fianlly saw it.

So I'll keep running the AT till they there is something better on the market. Anxiously awaiting the crostourer- maybe, just maybe...
The AT is great bike, but will there be anything like it rolling out of a factory anytime soon? I think most of the Mfg's are succubming to the marketing reality that only a small market segment wants a bike like that. I guess if you want to buy a new machine, you are faced with modding to your taste. I don't see why a KTM is not on your short list, if thats the type of bike you're after. They are a turn key solution as long as you stay on top of maintenance intervals and water pumps The Triumph, as you say, shows promise.

I've seen an S10 do enough that there's no way I'd call it just 'street bike' though...nor would I call a GS the same. To each his own I guess. Kinda tough when your standard is something that is no longer made.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #362
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
I don't see why a KTM is not on your short list, if thats the type of bike you're after. They are a turn key solution as long as you stay on top of maintenance intervals and water pumps The Triumph, as you say, shows promise.

KTM:

Pros:
Great bike with the WHEEEEEE!!! factor

Cons:
Reliability (show me one with more 100kkm on the clock without a major overall- and if you can statisticly is that the norm?)
Cost
Maintenance cost
Resale value
Short service intervals
Nearest KTM agents are 500km away
Cost of rigging it out
Made for 80kg bloks and it costs WAAYYY too much to get ready for a 130kg boy like me

What's even sadder is that a lot of riders are turniing to older bikes because newer bikes are not living up to their hype. When I started riding, you only went for an old bike because you couldn't afford the newer ones and you had to live with the shortcomings of the old bike. Now, you live with the shortcomings of the new bike!!!!

Squily

Squily screwed with this post 03-05-2011 at 12:23 AM
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:44 AM   #363
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
For me, i love the idea of a V4 Adv bike from Honda. Surely more bikes in the class mean better choice for us. 2012 could see a new Tiger, the XTour, a new L/C GS, Aprilia 1200 thingy and maybe one or two more from others.
Trax will be putting on another shift at this rate.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #364
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
Make sure you do ride it first.
I was really disappionted after my 3 day ride on the S10. The weight, buzzy engine, weird feeling brakes and uninspiring engine performance left me missing my Ducati and KTM. I'm predicting there will be quite a few up for sale after all the people who bought them without riding them finally get delivery.

As a large dual sport, the GS and the KTM are better in dirt and sand, and as a pavement touring bike, the GS is way better in terms of comfort and luggage.

The S10 is definitely off road worthy, and an excellent street cruiser.

The R1,200gs is also off road worthy, and an excellent street cruiser.

If it is down to the wallet I understand, but to put down either bike as not off road worthy is denial.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #365
North6633
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Both are very cool vids, I did notice in the BMW one that not one of the bikes was a GSA, very curious.

The R1,200gs is also off road worthy, and an excellent street cruiser.

If it is down to the wallet I understand, but to put down either bike as not off road worthy is denial.[/QUOTE]
North6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #366
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
The S10 is definitely off road worthy, and an excellent street cruiser...
Then why do you and your fellows NEED to push it, advertise it at every occasion?

There are many of us here who also belive they ride one of the best bikes that was ever built (regardless of make and model). But that does not mean that we are going around in other threads to promote our bikes. Indeed, that would be pretty messed up and a total waste of time?

Sorry, but no matter how you try to explain it, this CAMPAIGN it is getting pretty obvious. Thanks for trying, but no thanks!

@ ANYBODY ELSE - I'm not ranting without reason:

This morning a huge half page promo ad of the same bike (it was posted last night by GrahamD in this thread), just got removed by our admin. But I guess it just had to be replaced by someone else "on duty".

So before you believe something
, always check for previous posts and intensity of posting and judge for yourself. A sad new reality, thanks to sneaky advertising.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #367
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
Then why do you and your fellows NEED to push it, advertise it at every occasion?

Have to agree that this is a HONDA thread. Nice to list alternatives, but if you feel you have to DEFEND your ride (whether it be an S10 or GS or KTM)- start another thread entitled "which bike is best"

Check this link out:
http://www.toursforafrica.co.za/blog/category/best-motorcycles/

I think if we're honest, we'll agree its all up to personnal preference, but these guys make most of their money out of the GS crowd (and soon to be added S10 guys I'm sure), yet which bike is on the top of their list for long, hard slog?

We NEED a replacement for the AT!!!

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #368
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,894
That wasn't the point. I was just pointing out that many of the bikes that are being branded as "too heavy", "not agile enough", "built mostly for road use", are just wrong and it is denial over the two bikes capabilities.

It is also denial to immediately brand the Honda 1200V4 strictly as a street cruiser as many people have done on this thread. Honda puts out excellent products and it reminded me of the beating the S10 received by looking at the pictures when in fact it handles off road as a dirt bike would, as well as the beatings the R1,200gs received when the S10 came out.

People immediately slide KTM's in there as comparisons to the Honda 1200V4, and that is hardly a good comparison. Yes, KTM's do handle great off road, but for long distance cruisers they leave a lot to be desired, but that does not make them "bad bikes" either.

I would love to get my hands on a Honda 1200V4 and I bet you I would prove you all wrong taking it off road. If Honda wanted a street cruiser they would have built one, they wanted a dual purpose bike and I bet you that is what will be delivered.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #369
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
That wasn't the point. I was just pointing out that many of the bikes that are being branded as "too heavy", "not agile enough", "built mostly for road use", are just wrong and it is denial over the two bikes capabilities.

It is also denial to immediately brand the Honda 1200V4 strictly as a street cruiser as many people have done on this thread. Honda puts out excellent products and it reminded me of the beating the S10 received by looking at the pictures when in fact it handles off road as a dirt bike would, as well as the beatings the R1,200gs received when the S10 came out.

People immediately slide KTM's in there as comparisons to the Honda 1200V4, and that is hardly a good comparison. Yes, KTM's do handle great off road, but for long distance cruisers they leave a lot to be desired, but that does not make them "bad bikes" either.

I would love to get my hands on a Honda 1200V4 and I bet you I would prove you all wrong taking it off road. If Honda wanted a street cruiser they would have built one, they wanted a dual purpose bike and I bet you that is what will be delivered.
I agree, too much assumption and presumption going on! Only way anyone will be able to tell if it's a valid off-road machine is when it's been out for a year and it see's mother-nature first hand! Look how much greed the F800 got early on to then read about all the weak front suspension, bent rear shock bolts and cracked fuel tanks?!

The only fear I see........if it's not coming to the U.S.A.?!

I said it in post #145 plus gave Honda some ideas on what to think about..... I say; competition and diversity in this market is GOOD!! Welcome all new comers!!
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #370
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,266
+1 ^^^

Whatever end of the spectrum Honda, just do it well please!

We have V-Twins, Boxers, P-Twins, Triples and now a V4 possible.

Best choice for years!!

Nothing wrong with the materiel quality, just get the design right and don't go for the cheap end.
Kawasaki and Suzuki have it covered.

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 02:56 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #371
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Honda vv offroad capacibility...

OK, to add something... Srry for the small pics, they are from the Net. Google on 'Fireblade Sjaak'. A Dutch guy who went around the globe on a Fireblade - currently doing the same on a non-Honda sports bike from which the attached picture is.

And there is even more. I've read a story about a guy from Finland who did an offroad-around-the-globe on a GL1500 Goldwing.

Point is... Offroad capacibility is only partly a quest for the type and make of motorcycle. But mainly as well a quest of the riders capacity.
Attached Images

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:59 AM   #372
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Nick Sanders seems to cope quite well with his R1. The lines are blurred these days. I do like the style of Adv bikes but have no desire to venture off road on this small cramped little island. I can see how / why guys in Australia and the US want genuine monster bikes. Makes sense when it's a 4 hour ride / drive to the shops.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #373
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
Nick Sanders seems to cope quite well with his R1. The lines are blurred these days. I do like the style of Adv bikes but have no desire to venture off road on this small cramped little island. I can see how / why guys in Australia and the US want genuine monster bikes. Makes sense when it's a 4 hour ride / drive to the shops.
Got to agree but...

A KTM690 could run in the WSBK championship if it wanted too and a GP bike in the DAKAR, but the purpose built machines will do it easier and or faster that's all. (yes I wish Top Gear would do it)

Now I hope that as time goes on and the if the demand is there that the Manufactures will get closer to 1 bike that will do GP and Dakar equally well but it might be a while, but it looks like it's heading in the right direction. That's what I look forward to.

I think the DCT will be interesting off road for one. It would be interesting to see how taking the mind off gears, changes things, if at all. Twist and point.

Graham

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-07-2011 at 04:31 AM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #374
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Rode the DCT version of the VFR after i bought mine. Not sure it would suit an Adv bike. The 1200 V4 motor isn't exactly shy of grunt, so it's a bit of a novelty really.
I hope the Tiger 800 shows the big boys that if you keep it simple (ish), entertaining and reasonably priced then you are likely to shift a few units.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #375
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 769
Lots of bikes are offroad capable, Until you crash, then you find out if it was really designed for offroad or not.

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote