Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #31
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Hmm...could be a nice bike but I'm going to be very surprised if it's not too heavy, too expensive, and too unobtainable (in the US) based on recent Honda trends. Too bad.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #32
SisuTen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
I'm sure 1200 cc's goes a long way towards providing torque.
Not necessarily.
SisuTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #33
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
My prophecy:
The prices of Africa Twins will continue rising.
In my neck of the woods we are now at 3500 to 4000 euros.
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #34
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
I like it very much except...the bags.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #35
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,476
Not bad....the looks starts to grow in me.And it's a Honda.Most trustworthy reliable brand.

But still,it would still be another fat ass bike.Why can't they design something more slim.Like the dominator,or at least like the transalp650.

However,I still have my feelings glued to yamaha in terms of performance.Yamaha gives you all the smiles.Yeah....at the moment...still yamaha.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #36
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,115
Laugh Six cylinder Beemers and V4 Honda Adventure variants...

Somehow I don't see Yamaha shaking in their boots right now. But still, it's good to see Honda doing something/anything, to awaken from their dormant period.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #37
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
wrong way round

Can't help but think Honda have got it arsed about face. The 800 should be the off road oriented bike and the 1200 should be road, cross runner. Surely 110-115bhp is possible from the 800 put it on a diet too and you have plenty for a on/off road tourer. Who's gonna take that big 1200 off road with any confidence? Jimmy Lewis maybe, not me. I predict the 1200 GS will be about 50kg lighter than the 1200 honda.
I like the design direction of both the crosses and applaud honda for making them. Price and weight will decide their popularity though.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #38
BoTheTraveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161

One has an excellent dealer network, known for everlasting durability, completely lacks any sensibility to good design / aesthetics, and will be, without a doubt, the ugliest adventure bike on the planet.

The other is a Moto Guzzi.

BoTheTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #39
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
that would make sense but everyone wants to play in the GS 1200cc beast shaftdrive adv segment.
notice how all the bikes are generally designed the same way...after the 1200 gs. i can see other players coming in. this is THE segment to compete in from the mfg. perspective and thus this new honda.
i just hope it stays at 1200cc and it's doesn't become an engine size race which would be dumb.

the 800cc market is such a newer segment is extremely varied from street bike to adv bikes. honda just entered w/ a hybrid nothing more nothing less. they actually might be on something cutting edge if you look at all the beasts that never make it offroad anyway. this is huge in europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong
Can't help but think Honda have got it arsed about face. The 800 should be the off road oriented bike and the 1200 should be road, cross runner. Surely 110-115bhp is possible from the 800 put it on a diet too and you have plenty for a on/off road tourer. Who's gonna take that big 1200 off road with any confidence? Jimmy Lewis maybe, not me. I predict the 1200 GS will be about 50kg lighter than the 1200 honda.
I like the design direction of both the crosses and applaud honda for making them. Price and weight will decide their popularity though.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #40
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Coming off the disappointment with the 800cc CrossRunner - not even coming to the US - this seems to me to be the better of the 2 for my purposes: daily commuting [w/lane-splitting] in all weather conditions, and very rare multi-day rides.

I love shafties for their [relative] minimal maintenance, I like the grunt associated w1200cc bikes, I loved the V-4 engine on my ST1300, I loved my Honda linked-ABS brakes, and I loved how bullet-proof my Honda was.

Can't wait to see how this works out in real-world evaluations. Could be a winner...!

PH
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #41
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
that would make sense but everyone wants to play in the GS 1200cc beast shaftdrive adv segment.
notice how all the bikes are generally designed the same way...after the 1200 gs.
Yeah two wheels a tank and a buddy... :-)

I would not dare to say the GS is as Ugly as the MG, though it *is* ugly in its own right. I think Honda has hit the nail in exact the right place for the Honda Crowd, a lean and "honda"-mean ST1200.

For al those Pan Earopean riders who want to think they are going the long way around

(the coffee teble)

Seriously i think its nicely done for a streetcred bike, better looking than a S10 which looks way more purpose built.

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #42
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
It's just strange. Strange looks, strange positioning in the market, strange idea to base it on the 1200cc VFR sport bike platform, strange positioning vs. the GS, strange positioning vs. the Crossrunner, strange positioning vs. the ST1300, etc. I know exactly what the GS/S10 is designed for, exactly what the new Multistrada is designed for, and exactly what the new 800cc Tigers are designed for. This bike.... I'm not sure.

Like the VFR1200F, it may end being a brilliant bike in the way it works, but Honda's product strategy these days is so weird, I'm not sure they'll be able to effectively pitch it where it will gain traction, especially now that the adventure segment has been discovered by every tom/dick/harry and worthy competitors are everywhere. And there is the perenial issue of Honda's cost competitiveness.

I wish them luck though - it is an interesting bike and perhaps one that fits what a lot of riders want to do even if they don't know it yet.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #43
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,261
Looks nice, and competition in the adventure market can only benefit us, the riders. I don't expect to be buying it, since it will probably be sized for midgets (32" seat height), unlike my Adventure.

It is a blatant BMW design ripoff though, they even copied the beak.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #44
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse
It is a blatant BMW design ripoff though, they even copied the beak.
Not that it's important, but I'm hard pressed to think of two bikes that are ostensibly aimed for the same market that are less similar than this bike and a GS.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #45
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
Hmm...could be a nice bike but I'm going to be very surprised if it's not too heavy,
Please describe too heavy? Is that to mean it's heavier than the current bikes it was designed to compete with?
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote