User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
The haul road?

I was reading that if I ride the haul road to Prudhoe Bay in the summer of 2011 that I may not be able to get all the way to the ocean. Is this correct or are there dates that I might need to work around? Please advise as I will be riding a very long way to dip my toes into the beautiful Beaufort Sea. Any advice is welcome!
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Two Brothers
Tire Guru

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069
I was reading that if I ride the haul road to Prudhoe Bay in the summer of 2011 that I may not be able to get all the way to the ocean. Is this correct or are there dates that I might need to work around? Please advise as I will be riding a very long way to dip my toes into the beautiful Beaufort Sea. Any advice is welcome!
I was told in 2000 the oil companies would not let us go to the ocean. It may be different now.
Two Brothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,611
I just made it up there this year. The oil companies own the field roads and you have to take the tour bus out to the ocean.

Here is my ride report if you want more info.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629326

The Alaska Bureau of Land Management has a nice visitor guide for the Dalton Highway. It has all the stops and mileage along the route and you have to be able to make the 250 miles from Coldfoot to Deadhorse without fuel. The Alaska tourism folks sent it to me as well as info on Fairbanks. I used the links below.

www.blm.gov/ak/dalton - link to pdf of visitor guide on this page
http://www.travelalaska.com/
http://fairbanks-alaska.com/
http://www.prudhoebay.com/communities_Deadhorse.htm

Yukon Territories also sent me some information by mail.

http://travelyukon.com/

I stopped at the information centers at Dawson Creek BC, and Watson Lake YT. Both were very good with lots of info. I got the mileage sheet for the Alcan at Dawson Creek. Watson Lake had mileage sheets for Dempster and Campbell Hwys. Some of the other places had less info.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
RUOK
no, no I guess not

Oddometer: 316
I was up there this summer as well. The road and land getting to the Arctic Ocean is privately owned, to get to the water you have to go on a tour. It departs from the Arctic Caribou Inn and costs $45.00 You have call 24 hrs in advance and I believe you have to have a drivers license or passport for security screening. The phone # I used is 907-659-2368 It's a neat experience to set foot in the Arctic Ocean and see a bunch of oil field equipment, plus you get a really cool video presentation of how awesome BP Oil is, actually I did learn a little about how oil is drilled in the Arctic so it was kinda cool.

RUOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Thanks guys, I was afraid that what I had read might have been correct but I guess I might learn something in the process...
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,553
Another thread with a lot of good info: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512394

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069
As others have already told you, you won't be taking your bike to the seashore at Prudhoe Bay. But if dipping your toes into the ice cold saltwater is your goal, just plan on taking the tour. It' not too expensive, especially compared to the thousands of miles you will have traveled to get to Deadhorse, and you will join a very minute segment of the motorcycling public who have done it themselves. And no, I have never done it. Spent enough time driving a D7 Cat around the area in 1974 to satisfy me - don't need to see it again.

Everything up there is enough different from anything you've ever seen in the South 48 to make it interesting, so plan on doing it all - you won't be sorry.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote