Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #451
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,971
Is there a way to get the faceshield on a standard C3 to stay open while riding a bit more firmly? It seems like when new, I could go around local small roads with the visor cracked open a notch or two and it would stay that way until I went fast, then the wind would push it shut. Now, it seems like even at slow speeds it closes up on me. Any thoughts on how to stiffen it up a bit?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #452
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
I saw recent mention in one of the C3 threads here about installing o-rings at the hinges to make the visor movement stiffer.

Not sure if it is because of my windshield, but the first detent just blasts wind directly in my eyes, much worse than having the visor open all the way...
Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #453
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,836
Thumb Felt Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Is there a way to get the faceshield on a standard C3 to stay open while riding a bit more firmly? It seems like when new, I could go around local small roads with the visor cracked open a notch or two and it would stay that way until I went fast, then the wind would push it shut. Now, it seems like even at slow speeds it closes up on me. Any thoughts on how to stiffen it up a bit?

I think it's previously been mentioned in the thread on an earlier page, but just in case...

The best solution I've found has been a 1" round adhesive-backed felt pad. You can get them at any home improvement store, like Lowe's or Home Depot. Only problem is the ones that work best are usually sold in a bag of like 50 or 100. That's the bad news... The good news is that bag only costs about $3 or $4.

Anyway, get a couple of these felt pads, and pull the shield off your C3. Once you have the shield off you'll see the center of the shield pivot base (look for the little phillips-head screw in it's center) on each side of the helmet is almost exactly 1" in diameter. This is where you'll stick a felt pad on each side. Clean the area with some alcohol to remove and oil, dirt, etc., then peel the backing off one of the felt pads and stick it on. Make sure you get it centered, then press it down firmly all around to make sure it's stuck down. Now re-fit your shield on the helmet...

You may find it takes *slightly* - and I do mean just a tiny bit - more effort to mount the shield, but take your time and make sure it is installed properly. Once that's done go and give it a try. I think you'll find the felt pads add just enough more tension to the shield operation that it will pretty much stay wherever you want it, even if that's only slightly cracked open.

Just FYI... Hope it helps. It works great for me.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:12 AM   #454
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
I think it's previously been mentioned in the thread on an earlier page, but just in case...

The best solution I've found has been a 1" round adhesive-backed felt pad. You can get them at any home improvement store, like Lowe's or Home Depot. Only problem is the ones that work best are usually sold in a bag of like 50 or 100. That's the bad news... The good news is that bag only costs about $3 or $4.

Anyway, get a couple of these felt pads, and pull the shield off your C3. Once you have the shield off you'll see the center of the shield pivot base (look for the little phillips-head screw in it's center) on each side of the helmet is almost exactly 1" in diameter. This is where you'll stick a felt pad on each side. Clean the area with some alcohol to remove and oil, dirt, etc., then peel the backing off one of the felt pads and stick it on. Make sure you get it centered, then press it down firmly all around to make sure it's stuck down. Now re-fit your shield on the helmet...

You may find it takes *slightly* - and I do mean just a tiny bit - more effort to mount the shield, but take your time and make sure it is installed properly. Once that's done go and give it a try. I think you'll find the felt pads add just enough more tension to the shield operation that it will pretty much stay wherever you want it, even if that's only slightly cracked open.

Just FYI... Hope it helps. It works great for me.

Dallara

~
Thanks, Dallara! If Schuberth has no solution, I will look into do that.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #455
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Just wanted to post an update. A very nice fellow named Paul at Schuberth sent me some replacement shield pivot parts that I installed and tried out this weekend. The new parts made a HUGE difference, and now I have a shield I can crack open as I please. This was really excellent customer service, and I could not be happier. It is an all too rare pleasure to find an outfit that supports their products this well.

Big thanks to Schuberth!
Old 07-02-2014, 05:15 AM   #456
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Just wanted to post an update. A very nice fellow named Paul at Schuberth sent me some replacement shield pivot parts that I installed and tried out this weekend. The new parts made a HUGE difference, and now I have a shield I can crack open as I please. This was really excellent customer service, and I could not be happier. It is an all too rare pleasure to find an outfit that supports their products this well.

Big thanks to Schuberth!
Are you in a position to share contact info with the rest of us sharing this single short coming?
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:27 AM   #457
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Schuberth Helmets for ADVRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Are you in a position to share contact info with the rest of us sharing this single short coming?
The number for Schuberth's tech assistance is 949-215-0893.
Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:58 AM   #458
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Sure. This is publicly published info on their site. Mike already posted the phone. The US support email is: USA-service@schuberth.com
Old 07-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #459
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Quote:
Sure. This is publicly published info on their site. Mike already posted the phone. The US support email is: USA-service@schuberth.com
Thanks for that - email sent.

Thanks to other poster who put up tech phone - guess I could have pulled up either of these but was looking for an 'inside track' to someone who would immediately 'get the issue.'

Hope to have new pins next week - it's hot as mofo down here.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #460
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Same day email response - new pins on the way!

Old 07-04-2014, 05:43 AM   #461
Ilvtoride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Question

Might be time to consider a modular helmet. I would love a week or two trial period.
Ilvtoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #462
ZLAHiVizBrian
So Viz-able!

Oddometer: 248
GONG to Emoto and Schuberth for their help!

Thank you!

/r/RevZilla Subreddit | RevZilla Career Opportunities

Helping riders with gear and little old ladies cross the street | RevZilla.com
ZLAHiVizBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #463
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLAHiVizBrian View Post
GONG to Emoto and Schuberth for their help!

Thank you!

Old 07-12-2014, 12:49 AM   #464
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Has anyone had problems with their face shield popping open? The other day on the freeway it would pop from 'clicked' shut to the 'city' opening whenever i turned my head. Wondering if new visor parts are likely to fix this...?