high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,348
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...ner/17635.html

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #62
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,576
The trend seems to be actual comfortable bikes to ride. The old UJM concept does still work. Put some bags and a windshield and you can use these bikes for anything.

Crossrunner- Looks at bit bloated for me, not my market.
Crosstour- I like. Adventure-road bikes are the new Sport Touring rigs
VFR-T?- The VFR1200 DCT was a great concept and should have stayed that. The bike did nothing well, but put it in as a ST1300 replacement (better ergo, luggage, looks) and you might have something.

None of the new wave of 'adventure' bikes are really that. The GS-A and KTM-ADV are the only bikes that can even dabble in that market with the KTM leaning on the side of off-road. The Duc, Triumph, Guzzi, Uly (RIP), and others are all just street bikes with tires that let you cross a lawn without falling down. Some guys will take these bikes to the outer edge, but that is going to be few and far between. Let's be honest, most are going to use them as commuters and/or touring rigs. That's cool because there is a huge market for that.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #63
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #64
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
$14,500 (approx)

If Honda brings it to market in the US for $11k with ABS, I'll be seriously considering one.
The Crossrunner is 10,900 euros in France. I think it would be about $11,500 may be $11,999. ABS is standard.
The Honda CB1000R is 10,290 euros in France and is $10,999 here in the US.
I've owned a VFR750, 800FI, and 800 V-TEC. I loved the bike but always thought it should be more comfy. Since Honda USA is not offering the VFR800 anymore, I think it would make sense to bring this one over.
gore-tx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #65
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 958
White, bags and trunk, oh yeah! +1
zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #66
curvecarver
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb

The bike I have in my garage is the grandfather of this bike. Its a set upright V4 water cooled Sabre. It has 5 speed with Overdrive, computerized dash, mono air shock, early antidive front suspension, halogen headlamp. It was way ahead of its time when it hit the street in 1982. I added a small windshield and hard bags.. I been waiting 25 years for a replacement to come from Honda and here it is.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
curvecarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #67
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Another press-launch review here on Kevin Ash's site.

From his piece and the visordown review posted above, it sounds like a sweet ride that arguably makes more of the VFR's strong points.

Ash gets stuck into the high fuel consumption. Good on him for paying attention, but I wonder whether that motor will return better numbers as it breaks in.

Doubt it's for me, but I like the thinking behind the remodelling.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #68
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,119
Nice review from motorcycledaily:
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011/...#comment-19968
The article says "2012" Honda Crossrunner. Tease or actual preview?
gore-tx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 AM   #69
doink1968
Old noob.

Oddometer: 72
The new v45/65 sabre?

HEY CURVE-CARVER!
I had a 1983 V45 Sabre for a couple of years myself, and I've been eyeing the Cross-runner for the very same reasons. I loved my Sabre, but the one I had was just too old, hadn't been very well cared for, and it was impossible to find parts or people to work on the things I couldn't do myself. I miss it just the same though... Mine was the full touring rig; hondaline fairing with matching hard bags.
I'd love to see the Crossrunner come to the US, but I guess I'll have to buy a DN-01 instead!!http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/yelrotflmao.gif
Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 AM   #70
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by doink1968 View Post
HEY CURVE-CARVER!
I had a 1983 V45 Sabre for a couple of years myself, and I've been eyeing the Cross-runner for the very same reasons. I loved my Sabre, but the one I had was just too old, hadn't been very well cared for, and it was impossible to find parts or people to work on the things I couldn't do myself. I miss it just the same though... Mine was the full touring rig; hondaline fairing with matching hard bags.
I've owned 14 Honda V-4's (still own 5) and I always wanted Honda to build a standard based on the 750/800 VFR -- Call it a VFR750/800S. If Honda brings this bike to the US, I'll be selling my ST1300.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 AM   #71
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Nice review from motorcycledaily:
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011/...#comment-19968
The article says "2012" Honda Crossrunner. Tease or actual preview?
Quote:
We understand Honda is developing a more dirt oriented version of the Crossrunner

Hmmm....

Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #72
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
I've owned 14 Honda V-4's (still own 5) and I always wanted Honda to build a standard based on the 750/800 VFR -- Call it a VFR750/800S. If Honda brings this bike to the US, I'll be selling my ST1300.

hey, I like the Crossrunner - but there is no way I would sell my ST1300 to get one.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #73
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post

hey, I like the Crossrunner - but there is no way I would sell my ST1300 to get one.
I've been looking to downsize for a while now -- I go on maybe one long trip a year and the ST is a bit much for local duty.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #74
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
The trend seems to be actual comfortable bikes to ride. The old UJM concept does still work. Put some bags and a windshield and you can use these bikes for anything.

Crossrunner- Looks at bit bloated for me, not my market.
Crosstour- I like. Adventure-road bikes are the new Sport Touring rigs
VFR-T?- The VFR1200 DCT was a great concept and should have stayed that. The bike did nothing well, but put it in as a ST1300 replacement (better ergo, luggage, looks) and you might have something.

None of the new wave of 'adventure' bikes are really that. The GS-A and KTM-ADV are the only bikes that can even dabble in that market with the KTM leaning on the side of off-road. The Duc, Triumph, Guzzi, Uly (RIP), and others are all just street bikes with tires that let you cross a lawn without falling down. Some guys will take these bikes to the outer edge, but that is going to be few and far between. Let's be honest, most are going to use them as commuters and/or touring rigs. That's cool because there is a huge market for that.

I think you're right. Seems to be an increasingly amount of bikes being marketed towards the urban adventurer than the round-the-world adventurer. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Personally, I enjoy a large, upright machine which can used both for town and "all road" adventure. I really like the Crossrunner, but not enough to get rid of my Varadero for it.

Terry
varaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #75
Felon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
mazing bikes!With new Honda's face
Felon is offline   Reply With Quote