Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
VitBike

Oddometer: n/a
Any close call? If yes, what saved you?

A new horn was installed yesterday by my co-worker. I'm not good at my hands and only able to remove the horn and put the new one back in.

This morning, I told him: "You know what, in Buddhism, saving one life is like building a nine-level tower. By setting up the horn for me, you saved my life already." He laughed . Wish my buddy a wonderful vacation in Hawaii.

On the way home from work this afternoon, there was one big SUV on the left-turn-only lane waiting for the green light. I was on the next lane (his right) traveling around 45-50mph on the right side of my lane. From my kiteboarding experience, I follow the rule "space is our friend". In riding bike, I always leave some space on my both sides whenever possible.

Suddenly, the driver of the SUV changed his mind of turning & jumped into my lane. Looked like he did not see me. I pressed my powerful weapon (I actually hit the left turn first ). He stopped and I was able to swing by his right narrowly. A car behind me on my right also honked. I guessed his sound was just like a barbie's cry compared to mine.

I was shaken a little bit.

One of a few close calls in my life & God is always with me. Thank God dearly. Thank my wonderful horn mucho. Thank this forum so much, especially inmate named GangPlank. After looking at the pictures from your post about the horn, I ordered it right away.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
thumper-darryl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
What saved me?

On two separate occasions the ABS on wifes F650GS saved her but. Old, blind guy in large SUV turned left right in front of her. Hard braking with ABS resulted in stopping with inches to spare and bike kept straight. Time #2 bamby jumped out in front of her on a gravel back-road, again hard breaking to a straight stop. Both times I know outcome would have been different without ABS.
thumper-darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #3
klarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Your Wits Rule

What has saved me on several occasions is keeping my wits handy when faced with dire predicaments:
  • Emergency lane split on two lane road when car slammed on brakes in front of me.
  • Emergency acceleration on a wet off-ramp in Toronto when the traffic signal changed and it was abundantly clear the bike was not going to stop.
  • F8GS stall at 80mph in full-on rain on crowded 8-lane SoCal freeway. Thank the stars it re-started!
  • Emergency off-road maneuver after going into a corner a bit too hot just as a County "stripe-painting" truck was pulling off the shoulder in the apex. Yikes!
Of course it's not lost on me that most if not all of these could have been prevented by more cautious riding! At the same time, I think I'm like a lot of you inmates where if you keep your wits somewhat about you (and don't panic too much) you're more likely to survive. Prolly goes w/o saying, but thought I'd just chime in...
Old 11-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
Off to the Riding forum. GSpot is about the bike.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 371
Two days ago, riding to work, I found myself behind a neighbor. He is also a motorcyclist, and unbeknownst to me, has just bought a bike similar to mine. So, he was excited to see my bike go by, and also knew I'd prefer to have the upcoming twisty bits to myself rather than follow his pickup truck. So, he waved me by.

Here's where I f**ked up: NEVER ALLOW ANYONE ELSE TO BE EYES FOR YOU! Just because he was a motorcyclist, and someone I knew, I trusted him, and accelerated into the other lane to pass him. This was as we rounded a left-hand bend, I was passing blind.

Sure enough, there was a pair of cars coming the other way. As we were going around a bend,neither party saw the other until very late.

What saved me?

Lots of throttle.

Moral?

Always, always make your own assessments about safety, never accept someone else's judgment blindly.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
True close calls usually involve skill, luck, mindset and equipment in varrying parts. My close call (as opposed to my wreck) involved a good bit of all of these. I identified a threat well ahead of time and had already rolled off the throttle, moved to the right part of my lane and was covering the brake when an SUV ran a stop sign into my path. She then stopped. I was full into the ABS but was able to slide slightly to my right to get around the front bumper and then moved to the left to avoid the ditch on the other side of her.

I was ready for her, but at the speed and distance involved, there wasn't a huge amount I could do. ABS made a big difference... I think. I don't recall if I eased off to a threshhold brake while swerving but its possible. I think I stayed on the brake as hard as I could. When I stopped, my engine was revving high because my right hand was so tight on the brake that I actually twisted the throttle a bit.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
MapBoy
here there be dragons...

Oddometer: 454
about that horn

sidenote: if anyone else is curious about the horn and thread mentioned above, look here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=horn starting around thread #20

and here:
http://www.hornsplusauto.com/

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
MapBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
#1 - Abs

A few months ago, I was riding on a divided highway approaching the point where the 3 eastbound lanes pinched down into 2. I was in the far left going 140 kph. There was a car about 3 car lengths ahead of me in the middle lane doing 130 kph. It was trailed slightly by a car in the far right travelling about 135 kph.

As we approached the merge point the car in the right lane, instead of backing off to merge behind the centre car, continued to overtake, and then as the right lane began to disappear he woke up and swerved directly behind the centre car, still overtaking, and then just before hitting him he stabbed his brakes and swerved yet again directly in front of me. All this in about a second and a half.

The car's last manouevre placed him about 10 feet in front of me with me overtaking, So I hit the brakes hard and fast, the tires chirped once and I watched the 2 cars recede in front of me.

I make no bones, I would have locked the wheels up without ABS and probably gone down. But if I hadn't been able to get on the brakes instantly at the speed of reflex, I believe I would have hit the car's rear bumper with the same result. So score -1 for my defensive driving, +1 for ABS.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Bumblebee-TGL
Nomad

Oddometer: 357
The #1 thing: Not trusting anyone on the road. Everyone is considered the enemy even when they prove themselves not to be. So far so good.

Parking lot practice on a regular basis - emergency braking and maneuvering to avoid countless crazies.
Drivers eyes said "I see you and you're safe", their front wheel moved so I stopped before they ran out in front of me.
Avoided becoming a motorcycle sandwich by stopping far enough back to escape if the cage behind me didn't stop. It didn't and I ran early. A 40+mph SUV rear ended the stopped pickup which got two other vehicles ahead involved. Lots of noise and crumpling metal sounds.
Not riding in the right lane on roads with lots of limited visibility side roads.
Stebel for the occasional nutjob that I have time and a safe buffer to work with.

Not panicking. Flying the motorcycle completely through the problem or until it pitches me off whichever comes first. ATGATT for when I run out of solutions before running out of problems.

Bumblebee-TGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Keeping my head in the ride

The list of potential OH SHIT moments is long... The Left turners, STOP sign runners, Red light violations…

Paying attention and knowing the limits of the bike I am riding and what is around me has relegated all of them to Non-issues.

The guy slamming on his brakes for a squirrel was a close one. Who the hell brakes for a squirrel?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
#2 - "luck"

Back in 1978 I was riding at about 30 mph in the left lane of a one way street. There was a car a few cars lengths ahead of me in the right lane going a little slower. As I came up to him he suddenly turned across my lane without signaling and stopped. His intention was to enter a parking lot on the left.

I hit both brakes, the rear locked and I drifted left around the front of the car. I didn't quite clear it though and the rear of the bike slammed against the car's front fender. That was just as well because I was about to low side. Instead, the impact knocked the bike back straight and I stopped upright in front of the car. The car had nice gouge along its fender, my bike had no damage except a slightly bent license plate holder.

My defensive driving -1, car -1, CB450 +1
Old 11-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
VitBike,

I don't want to 'sound' to negative here but a "horn" will not save your life while riding a motorcycle. (Well, unless you get lost in the woods or down in a ditch.)

Having your head in the game and totally focused on everything all the time will help spare the misery of becoming a victim of the road.

The parts of a motorcycle that will save your life are:
1) The Brakes
2) The Handlebars
3) The Throttle
4) Being in the right Gear (to accelerate as needed)

A horn, no matter how loud takes time to process where and what it means, and by that time you have probably had enough time to do something else. Like brake, swerve or change speed to avoid contact.

If after all that, you want to show the middle finger, blow your horn in protest.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacWestGS
If after all that, you want to show the middle finger, blow your horn in protest.
I want me one of them protest horns so I can warn the world that there is an idiot nearby as I ride away smiling.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
The list of potential OH SHIT moments is long... The Left turners, STOP sign runners, Red light violations…

Paying attention and knowing the limits of the bike I am riding and what is around me has relegated all of them to Non-issues.

The guy slamming on his brakes for a squirrel was a close one. Who the hell brakes for a squirrel?
People that don't want to kill things if they can help it.

What difference does it make what he slammed on his brakes for?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
The dead raccoon (they're big up here) that came out from under the truck ahead of me and directly ahead of my front wheel at speed was a surprise, but I knew from experience that I can usually plow through something like that as long as I keep the wheel pointed firmly straight ahead. I guess the thing that saved me there was not panic braking or swerving--sometimes the best thing to do is nothing. Same thing when I was on my old Yamaha 180 on a loose dirt road and I realized that I wasn't going to make the corner at the speed I was going, and there wasn't time or traction to brake either, so instead I went straight off the road, slalomed through the trees and came back out on the road on the other side of the curve. Another important thing to have is LUCK!