Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #16
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones
Regarding your comment about armchair quarterbacks: I have ridden that area in March and I was cold.
It was "a tongue in cheek comment".The curmugeon mught have been coming out of me too, plus, it was starting to seem like I was a Boy Scout in the look for info. I'm looking hard at March or late Feb more & more-no tough guy stuff here.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #17
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

OCT= Football THANKS for the info to date!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #18
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,048
Safe riding !
Old 11-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
slimy
Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Copper Canyon in the Winter

A small group of us went to Copper Canyon this year on 1 February 2010. We did not take a tour and found a tour company unnecessary. This time of the year is definitely the off-season. We only saw 2 other bikes and that was at the border. Overall a great experience and I would recommend to all.

DO NOT cross the border at El Paso, Texas, too dangerous and many problems. We crossed at Columbus, New Mexico. A sleepy little border town 90 miles west of El Paso and had no problems. Most of the problems you read in the news are near the border so get through it fast and precede into rural Mexico. The Mexican people were extremely nice and hospitable. Stayed in small mom and pop hotels the entire trip. They were nice and cheap but do not expect them to have American standards. Heat was rare in most hotels. The food was great and inexpensive.

It was cold and we hit snow again and again. We hit elevations of 9000 feet. The GPS was worthless (yes we had Mexican maps in the Garmin). The roads are poorly marked with highway numbers but there are signs directing you to the next town or village. Get good maps and learn where you need to go. The roads are mostly paved but the Cooper Canyon roads are dirt/gravel and can prove a bit of a challenge for a large bike. However, people have taken Harleys and Goldwings down the famous road to Batopilas. The steep gravel road to Urique was much riskier and down right scary at times.

Do your research to ensure you have all the documents you need. Entering Mexico is easy with simple visa and vehicle importation paperwork at the border. Buy your Mexican insurance online here in the US before you go. Reentering the US was even easier.

A little Spanish can go a long way in making trip better. Pickup an electronic translator or phrase book. Overall a fantastic trip and trouble free.
slimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #20
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

This link was passed into a thread I started in the BMW club Forum , looking for a possible ride partner to Mexico. It has some interest & great pictures,etc., for Sierra Madre/Copper Canyon travel : http:www.bopisolutions.com/2010_batopilas_adventure.htm I have no further information about that link. The road I see in the pictures on this link , is not a road I would ride my R1150R down. I grew up in KS and once into bikes was riding Brit & Japanese bikes on gravel all the time. FWIW,for a number of years in the 60's/early70's, I lived several miles down a gravel road,across a pasture(dirt road from there) down a hill & across the dam of a pond, then back up a hill through the woods & overlooking the Kansas river, so I knew how to get home and rode a bike to work most days. Now, at my age, I am not going down that hill(as shown in link above) on a heavy road bike! My feet are going to make up the difference is the plan.
Also:I read the "burro has 3wheels" account of Mexican travel in this area and that road is mostly yellow on my Rough Guide folding map. The other road that Bakker describes is also yellow, but yellow all the way to the destination , whereas, the "burro" road has several sections that are a thin black line(likely dirt) on this same map.
I have this link where it will work-enjoy.

kantuckid screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 03:14 PM
Old 11-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #21
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,487
This is what you find in Northern Mexico in January

Old 11-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #22
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Jan will be cold

From Mexico 2009-Cerocahui

My travels down there have been late Feb and March and I'm always happier after we descend to the warmth of the canyon. But hey, with the big beemer you'll be able to run plenty of electrics and crank them up high so go and have fun!
Old 11-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #23
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

I fixed the link I had in my recent post-some good info there and pics too. Enjoy!