User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Oddometer: 58
Bluhduh KTM locking ECU's for CA bikes?

Looking into Euro mapping ECU for my 2015 350EXCF and dealer wont touch it naturally-i get it.

Heard lots of rumors about EPA fining Yamaha etc... CARB restrictions are well past Nazi tactics-whats next they come to your door-gotta hide the dualsport in your secret attic room!?

Its the usual problem with any KTM dual sport sold in CA-they choke them to death with minimal gas, massive spark arrestors, smog crap all over them so the poors things cant breathe and basically force you to break the law to allow them to run like they were manufactured to run. Poor bike pops and backfires and runs hotter than it should etc..

Took to local race shop and owner said no problem adjusting TPS, that would help richen it up a bit and he would plug the bike into his computer to see if he could hack into the unit but he tried a few of these 2015 models and you can no longer remap them. Said KTM under pressure to keep their ability to sell these in CA started shipping them with units that cant be re-mapped.
Obviously you can buy their super expensive unit or just buy one for a non plated bike but i was just wondering if anyone else has run into this with this specific year and model?
Old 06-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
AdvMoto18
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
2015 ECU firmware is password protected. KTM North America pressures many dealer not to re-map the ECU of 2015 models. That doesn't mean you can't find a dealer willing to re-map a 2015 ECU. Some will, most will not.

I managed to get the EU map flashed onto my 2015 350EXC. The EU map and tweaking the TPS turned my 350 into a different motorcycle then the one I rode home new from the dealer.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,240
Couple of things, first is since they came out, the KTM 500/350 EXC/XCW, Berg 501/350 and now Husky 501/350, all have the same part numbers for both the throttle body and ECU. Please just look it up before you flame.

What differentiates them, no one has been able to tell me when I ask. Since I can order one for all those bikes off RMATV, my guess is they would have to have something loaded for all these bikes, but how it knows what bike it's connected to is a mystery to me. That's my burning question. Is it plug and play and look at what sensors are connected and say "hey I'm a CA 350 EXC" and use that map? Wish I knew.

Second, my understanding is that they can all be remapped, finding someone local in California to do it would be the tough part. You'd have to be in their circle of trust. It's much easier for a California dealer to say nope, then risk anything.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrider18 View Post
2015 ECU firmware is password protected. KTM North America pressures many dealer not to re-map the ECU of 2015 models. That doesn't mean you can't find a dealer willing to re-map a 2015 ECU. Some will, most will not.

I managed to get the EU map flashed onto my 2015 350EXC. The EU map and tweaking the TPS turned my 350 into a different motorcycle then the one I rode home new from the dealer.
Thats what i figured and what the owner of this particular shop told me also-im working on seeing if he will be willing to do it-thanks roadrider i really appreciate the response!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Couple of things, first is since they came out, the KTM 500/350 EXC/XCW, Berg 501/350 and now Husky 501/350, all have the same part numbers for both the throttle body and ECU. Please just look it up before you flame.

What differentiates them, no one has been able to tell me when I ask. Since I can order one for all those bikes off RMATV, my guess is they would have to have something loaded for all these bikes, but how it knows what bike it's connected to is a mystery to me. That's my burning question. Is it plug and play and look at what sensors are connected and say "hey I'm a CA 350 EXC" and use that map? Wish I knew.

Second, my understanding is that they can all be remapped, finding someone local in California to do it would be the tough part. You'd have to be in their circle of trust. It's much easier for a California dealer to say nope, then risk anything.
Well if your definition of flaming is me bad mouthing the Golden State than so be it, i too cannot figure this mystery out but i am working with a particular shop to gain access to their circle of trust and get it done-much like roadrider i have heard this bike goes from a three legged old goat to a thoroughbred once its been re-mapped.
Thanks for the reply toilet guy!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:

In NC?-you guys dont have the Nazi CARB regulations so why was it even an issue for you?-I totally understand the CA dealers dilemna and i respect that-im just wondering why it was an issue for you in NC?
Thanks.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:

Oops sorry roadrider-just noticed you have a EXC but not EXCF-the dualsport-again i dont get why it would be an issue for a non CA and non plated moto in NC?
Sorry if im confusing you-i want to remap for a CA plated dualsport-this is not the non plated enduro.
Long story short i am confident i can get it done or just buy a different ECU, thanks for the replies though i appreciate it.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Good lord roadrider i apologize-i need to get my glasses-you do have the EXCF.
Sorry about that-living in CA does that to you!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaldualer View Post
Well if your definition of flaming is me bad mouthing the Golden State than so be it, i too cannot figure this mystery out but i am working with a particular shop to gain access to their circle of trust and get it done-much like roadrider i have heard this bike goes from a three legged old goat to a thoroughbred once its been re-mapped.
Nah, the flame reference is because some guys are real touchy about the whole KTM/Berg/Husky relationship and in denial.

I spent 40 years in Calif, I feel your pain.

Roadrider answered it much better then I did. If you can't find a local dealer, PM me and I'll turn you on to a reputable dealer that will map it for you out of state, for obvious reasons best not to publish that info here.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply toilet guy!
If you only knew!

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Nah, the flame reference is because some guys are real touchy about the whole KTM/Berg/Husky relationship and in denial.

I spent 40 years in Calif, I feel your pain.

Roadrider answered it much better then I did. If you can't find a local dealer, PM me and I'll turn you on to a reputable dealer that will map it for you out of state, for obvious reasons best not to publish that info here.

If you only knew!
HAHA!- no worries Toilet guy-i think anyone living in CA has some degree of mental incapacitation at some level given enough time. I have no issues with the KTM-Berg-Husky chaos. I just love their bikes.
I appreciate the help and the offer-let me work on this local shop and see what he can do-i think i will skip all my local CA dealers as i would imagine they all have Damocles sword dangling overhead...
I certainly dont want to pay the big $ for his brand ECU and im sure sending out of state to get remapped would be cheaper-Good Lord this makes me mad!
Once again thanks to all who replied!
I will PM you if things go south....
Old 06-18-2015, 07:34 AM   #11
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:
HAHA!- no worries Toilet guy-i think anyone living in CA has some degree of mental incapacitation at some level given enough time. I have no issues with the KTM-Berg-Husky chaos. I just love their bikes.
I appreciate the help and the offer-let me work on this local shop and see what he can do-i think i will skip all my local CA dealers as i would imagine they all have Damocles sword dangling overhead...
I certainly dont want to pay the big $ for his brand ECU and im sure sending out of state to get remapped would be cheaper-Good Lord this makes me mad!
Once again thanks to all who replied!
I will PM you if things go south....
Quote:

well now im thoroughly confused-my local race shop guy said he plugged it into his gizmo to try and remap but he could not gain access. He adjusted the TPS for me and its a slight improvement. I called a local dealership and he said almost gleefully-Yeah bring it in-we can Euromap and de smog for $200!
I told my race guy this and he scoffed!-yeah hes just going to do a diagnostic and mess with the fuel allowance part and not really fully Euromap it!
KTM dealer guy says yes the ECU is protected and only dealers have the magic code!
Good Lord i miss the days of rejetting....
Old 06-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #12
AdvMoto18
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
In NC?-you guys dont have the Nazi CARB regulations so why was it even an issue for you?-I totally understand the CA dealers dilemna and i respect that-im just wondering why it was an issue for you in NC?
Thanks.
It is an issue for everyone in the US because KTM NA is discouraging dealers from remapping 2015 ECUs. How do they discourage if they get wind a dealer is remapping on a regular basis? Withhold specific dealer incentive programs, reduce quota for next quarter or year, all kinds of methods. And if the dealer continues to violate their contract with KTM NA, lose the dealership franchise.

Unfortunately, Obama's EPA has adopted many CARB2 specifications and applies them across the country. How CARB2 affects motorcycles in CA compared to NC, I don't know. But, NC is very strict and enforces EPA emission regulations and non-compliance. The firmware installed on your scoot will appear when a state emission inspection is done and the OBD reader is plugged into the scoot. And they have a CANBUS adapter! They used it on my son's SERTAO 2 months ago.

Best to live in a state that doesn't perform emission/safety inspections in order to renew your annual registration if one is going to deviate from the 2015 factory firmware.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #13
AdvMoto18
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
well now im thoroughly confused-my local race shop guy said he plugged it into his gizmo to try and remap but he could not gain access.
Yep, as I mentioned, firmware on ECU is password protected beginning with 2015 models. Online articles reported this several months before the first 2015 was shipped.

It's all about emissions and noise. Most street legal KTMs are not geared for optimum performance but rather for going by the EPA noise monitor at the optimum RPM producing the least dB signature. Another thanks to CA!
Old 06-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #14
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 808
Yep, 50 sates bikes now on the EXC.. they all run as bad as the CA bikes

Been there talking to the dealers on my 690. So I went with an older model I could remap myself.

A buddy sent his 500 ECU out of state to be "repaired".. possibly TX.. Quick and easy..
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #15
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 2,411
My dealer didnt ask, was remapped and desmogged before I even picked it up.