User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #61
1989THEARK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Question Possibly a dumb question

BUT. is suspension really the only thing stopping the DR from being a KTM becuase if thats the case im pretty sure a KTM front end and something from rick could solve that problem.

It cant be Weight. I mean i know its not exactly light but is it really that heavy? I've never really had a problem with the weight.

Its really only bin the suspension that SUCKS
1989THEARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #62
powdermuncher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989THEARK View Post
BUT. is suspension really the only thing stopping the DR from being a KTM because if thats the case im pretty sure a KTM front end and something from rick could solve that problem.

It cant be Weight. I mean i know its not exactly light but is it really that heavy? I've never really had a problem with the weight.

The Dr will never be a KTM Yes it is heavy and slow old-school and awesome.

With the Cogent shock mod and Intiminators + sprung for your weight it is a superb dual-sport Adv. touring bike .

There is nothing in the lineup of KTM that I would consider over the DR for a round the world bike.

For hard core single track my WR 450 is the go to bike although I am looking at a KTM XC250 for less weight. Either the young kids are getting faster or I am getting slower, have to make up for it somehow
powdermuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:35 AM   #63
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
BUT. is suspension really the only thing stopping the DR from being a KTM becuase if thats the case im pretty sure a KTM front end and something from rick could solve that problem.

I've got Racetech stuff front and back on my DR, and while it makes a huge difference in the handling, it still doesn't come close to the handling of my 690.

It very much can be weight. My 690 weighs in at 330 lbs, my DR 397 lbs, this is actual real world weight. 67 LBS, especially off road is HUGE.

I won't even get into the huge power difference........... well OK, I guess I did.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:17 AM   #64
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,454
Quote:

Performance-wise and ride-wise, there's suspension, weight, weight bias, power, power delivery, throttle response, gear ratios, control feel, braking performance, geometry, wheelbase, wheel/tire size, and ergonomics. The DR frame is also large-diameter, thin-walled tubing...and stamped sheetmetal. The KTM frame and forks may be stiffer, depending on model and use.

Even bikes that look pretty similar on paper can be very different to ride. Different people can have different preferences though.

The DR develops its torque down lower than the 690. It's very smooth and non-oilburning at slab speeds, for a big thumper. There is a bigger gap between the gears on the DR. The aftermarket and used-parts market for the DR are HUGE. I can bolt 400+ miles of fuel range onto a DR for under $600, and that bike can likely make it past 50K miles without major issue. There is no fuelpump, waterpump, radiator, coolant hose, sensor issue, or overheating issue to worry about with a DR. The DR seat height is around 34", and I can inexpensively and easily take it down to 30" without needing custom suspension work. It's not a race bike. It's an explore/play bike. I tell people debating before purchase...If you're concerned about being "fast and quick", get the KTM. If you want to ride, everywhere, and fast seems relative, get the DR. The DR is fast enough to scare and/or kill you. It's just not as quick as the KTM. A good rider vs a not-as-good rider can close that gap, but the nature of the bikes is still a bit different. It's like the difference between a modded Jeep YJ and a rock buggy. Both will go a lot of places. The rock buggy can make it easier and offers more performance, but the YJ may be simpler and easier to live with day-to-day.

Kommando screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 06:37 AM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:29 AM   #65
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Morning guys,

I had to change my fork seals last week due to a bad leak I was having with both of them. While i was in there, I decided to also factory lower my front end, instead of just sliding the tubes up in the clamps. I followed the service manual's procedure. once back together, I installed my intimidator, filled the fork with the correct fluid and dropped the spring in... The spring ended up sticking out of the fork by 1.5 inches! I pushed and pulled the inner tube and it did not help. I ended up getting the forks sealed, and took the bike for a ride. It rides great, I actually really like the front end right now, but I'm curious as to why my spring stuck out of the tubes that much. Was it the intimidator? Maybe the lowering procedure?

PS. Im running progressive springs from Procycle.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #66
clintonroy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Hi Guys,
I'm fitting a kx450 shock to my DR. The thing is that the shock is almost 1-1/4" longer eye to eye than the stock shock. I'm also fitting RMZ forks and want to set up the rear about 1" higher to match the lift I'll be getting from the forks.
I've already shaved the rocker arm and got a new bearing to fit it thanks to advise from MAXNX.
I know that I'll have to drill a new hole in the KX shock clevis. My question is, "How much longer does the KX shock need to be from stock shock to bring the back end up to match the front?"
My second question is what spring rate should I go with? I generally weigh 200lbs in the spring and 185lbs by fall. I am also planning a 2 month trip in South America with the DR next year if everything goes well. I'll be using Nelson Rigg Adv. Panniers, tail bag and a medium sized hard case on the back.
Any advise is appreciated.
clintonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #67
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,960
Suspension Length

We discussed a lot of this in detail over on DRR. Gets serious from page 4:
http://drriders.com/topic6451-30.html

Might help.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #68
powdermuncher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonroy View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm fitting a kx450 shock to my DR. The thing is that the shock is almost 1-1/4" longer eye to eye than the stock shock. I'm also fitting RMZ forks and want to set up the rear about 1" higher to match the lift I'll be getting from the forks.
I've already shaved the rocker arm and got a new bearing to fit it thanks to advise from MAXNX.
I know that I'll have to drill a new hole in the KX shock clevis. My question is, "How much longer does the KX shock need to be from stock shock to bring the back end up to match the front?"
My second question is what spring rate should I go with? I generally weigh 200lbs in the spring and 185lbs by fall. I am also planning a 2 month trip in South America with the DR next year if everything goes well. I'll be using Nelson Rigg Adv. Panniers, tail bag and a medium sized hard case on the back.
Any advise is appreciated.
If you are really looking to do RTW type travel i would highly recommend the cogent shock mod and stock Fork Sprung properly with intiminator valves .

Cogent did mine and it totally rocks the Upside is that any stock shock form and parts will fit and are readily available if you build a one of getting the right parts in the Hinterlands just became a lot more of a challenge.
Just my 2 Cents of someone who has been there before.

cheers……...
powdermuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #69
clintonroy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
My RMZ Fork Conversion

Using a custom top triple I retained the stock speedometer and ignition switch with steering lock. More information about the conversion is here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=992350

clintonroy is offline   Reply With Quote