Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
530 exc running 13/50 what length chain?

I dont know how long my new chain is its an RK gold x ring. I have 13/50 sprockets. I threw the box, old chain etc and I am trying to decide how many links I need to take off. I have the blocks turned around on the shorter side. I always worry about making the wheelbase too short. Right now it looks like I need to remove 4 links, but I am not sure if that is enough. the short side adjustment would probably mean that the screws are about 3/4 turned out. I also want to leave a little to run a 14 front at times.

Anybody guide this lost soul?
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,175
i wuz runnin' 13/53 on a RFS bike, and i think the chain length is the same. we did a chain on my buddy's '10 450, 13/52 and i think we went 118....

put it on there and check before you cut....

measure twice, cut once glasshopper.....
davesupreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,340
And if you dont allow enough slop,its way more trouble to fix then to get it right the first time. KTM's run a lot of chain slop.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,274
Have you checked in the bible

http://www.gearingcommander.com

Pauls Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mgxmQRRUCqrKiY
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

bible did not carry this info for the 530
Old 07-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
davesupreme
grand poobah

who cares what the 'bible' sez.....

put it on and see how it fits....

you run the axle way forward, and you're gonna have a wheelie machine.... run it all the way back, and it'll turn better.....

do test fit it w/your shock off, on the stand, and then you can see how tight you have it....
Old 07-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

I decided to keep it on the long side, to make it shorter I was going to reduce the wheelbase by more than an inch and I dont think that will suit me. Just cut off about 3 links. will run like that for a bit and see how it goes; you can always shorten it but longer, well.....
Old 07-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,509
It should look almost too loose. Like it was said, KTMs like a lot of chain slop. The countershaft does not like being taxed.

I was running 13/50 on my 05 450 and this is what it looked like.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,039
your chain is likely either 118 or 120 links long out of the box.

i run 118 links with 13/52 and the adjusters turned to the long side if that helps you at all.

i'd suggest trying to make the wheelbase as long as you can. flip the adjusters around. put the wheel on (but don't tighten the axle nut). then wrap the chain around the sprockets and see how it fits at full length. (remember, KTM chains are supposed to have *a lot* of slack.)

i'll bet you only need to remove two or four links (depending on how long the chain is out of the box--to get down to 116 links...though you might not even need to go that short. 118 might work.)

EDIT: d'oh. i just saw that you already did the job. wise choice going with running the chain as long as you can, imho.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #10
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
If at least two people tell you your chain is loose per ride, it is adjusted correctly.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #11
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
If at least two people tell you your chain is loose per ride, it is adjusted correctly.

Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
It should look almost too loose. Like it was said, KTMs like a lot of chain slop. The countershaft does not like being taxed.

I was running 13/50 on my 05 450 and this is what it looked like.
Pretty much what it looks like (on the stand any how). I have it where if you push the chain up an inch behind the chain slider (shown in the picture) it starts to tighten at the top but not quite tight.

For years I thought it had to take up all the slack (just so) but realize it would still be on the tight side. Been running the 950 the same way.

Since I replaced the seal, bushing, o ring etc I really dont want to cause a leak.

Am using a clip style master link. I did paint the clip so I can keep an eye on it. One thing I noticed, I had overcompressed the plate so that when the clip was installed it didnt seat against the side plate. Im guessing that is how many folks loose the clips as there is no tension. I pried the plate out so that its snug against the clip. I do like the riveted style master for the 950 but I would prefer the clip style for my dirt bikes so I can pull it off and assist in cleaning, maintenance, etc.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #13
davesupreme
grand poobah

that looks plenty loose, maybe too loose?....

you don't do it by how it looks, as much as the 'peanut gallery' might think so....

put it on the stand, rear wheel off the ground....

take off the shock, it takes 2 minutes, the bolts are torqued to 50 ft. lbs.... if you don't have a torque wrench, go to harbor freight w/the coupons and they're like $10 apiece... you gotta torque everything on these bikes, especially if it's in aluminum....

w/the shock off, pick the wheel up and down, and you'll see the tightest point is when the countershaft, swingarm pivot, and rear axle are in the same line... tighten your chain so you got some movement, but it's not binding, passing that point freely....

put it all back together....

now your chain is adjusted correctly and you aren't guessing that it 'looks' right.....
Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
that looks plenty loose, maybe too loose?....

you don't do it by how it looks, as much as the 'peanut gallery' might think so....

put it on the stand, rear wheel off the ground....

take off the shock, it takes 2 minutes, the bolts are torqued to 50 ft. lbs.... if you don't have a torque wrench, go to harbor freight w/the coupons and they're like $10 apiece... you gotta torque everything on these bikes, especially if it's in aluminum....

w/the shock off, pick the wheel up and down, and you'll see the tightest point is when the countershaft, swingarm pivot, and rear axle are in the same line... tighten your chain so you got some movement, but it's not binding, passing that point freely....

put it all back together....

now your chain is adjusted correctly and you aren't guessing that it 'looks' right.....
That is all well and nice but having 3 non KTM riders tell you it is loose is a "no doubt it is perfect" adjustment confirmation.

And for torque on those shock bolts, you want a quarter past tight or bout halve a turn before breaking. If it gets loose before you finish, back it off 3/8th a turn, or a smidge if you like metric.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
davesupreme
grand poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
That is all well and nice but having 3 non KTM riders tell you it is loose is a "no doubt it is perfect" adjustment confirmation.

And for torque on those shock bolts, you want a quarter past tight or bout halve a turn before breaking. If it gets loose before you finish, back it off 3/8th a turn, or a smidge if you like metric.
sorry einstein.... smidges and 'halve' turns don't really translate too well into Nm's or Ft lbs....

monkeys like you are why all the WhRrista's bust on all the KTMers for having broke bikes....

the problem is that some of these fukkin' guys actually listen to this shit....

hell, the mechanics(a very loose term...) at my supposed local dealer don't even do it right....