Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
DAVIEB OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Husqvarna FE501

Hi Everyone,

First time post on the forum but I've been looking around the internet and I can’t find too many threads on the new Husky (White KTM some would call it).

I can’t comment too much on the bike as I’ve only had it for 8 days and only don’t around 300km on it but what I can say is the thing RIPS!

Before this I have had a 2012 WR450 and a 2009 CRF250R as well as a hand full of road bikes most of which I still own and a CBR1000 I race on salt lakes.

Some would say that this feels somewhat sedated compared to the WR and CRF because it doesn’t have a big rush of power anywhere but the main reason for that is it has so much power everywhere, it feels electric in the way the engine pulls. I have only ridden it in its STD map at thus far but once I take the bike out to some dry places I’ll be putting it into the aggressive map and giving another update, I hear from people the KTM 500 that it does make a reasonable difference...

I have been lucky enough with the bike to ride the KTM and Husky back to back and I was surprised with the difference. I found the Husky to be a lot softer and more forgiving in the suspension side of things which is contrary to what magazine reviews have been saying lately. I found the Husky a lot more stable over rough and rutted trails especially at speed where the KTM would push off line and kick sideways etc.

I do have a few upgrade already on the bike I brought when I ordered it, mostly just to protect it a little, so far I have a fuel filter sock on the fuel cap, a pair of Force radiator guards, the Husky Power adjustable map switch and also the Husky power fuel line re director elbow. When I first went and looked at the bike the fuel line does a loop where it comes out of the bottom of the tank and looks pretty vulnerable to getting caught on things. I found in the hard parts book then had a billet elbow that I replaced the line with.

The main thing I’m not happy with so far is the cooling, it has no overflow bottle.

As well as installing an over flow bottle of some description and I would like to put a fan on the left side radiator, from the factory it only has a fan on the right.

Anything I do I will be taking pics along the way and uploading them.

Once my mates and I all have time off work together I will be doing some longer rides, a mix of tar and dirt, and hopefully some beach rides as well.

Enough talking, Time for some photos.

DAVIEB screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 08:02 PM
DAVIEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
DAVIEB OP
n00b

Old 04-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
DAVIEB OP
n00b

after the ride, White is not AS hard as i thought it was going to be to clean. Its not easy tho.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Koko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Nice 501! Thanks for sharing.
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
I'm a big Husky fan. Really liked, and will miss, their wonderful dual sport line. I own an '07 TE250 and plan on putting a 300 kit in. Like you, I love the suspension on these machines. I'll be watching to see how these HusKTMs hold up. Thanks for posting!
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
Knobbiethrower
ADV in ADK

Oddometer: 1,219
That is one sweet looking ride!
Knobbiethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
firecrotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Cool review. I am brand loyal to husky even if they are white versions of orange. I would venture to guess as time goes on they will be less and less like ktms. You can plate any bike in Washington. I owned a 525 and still ticked I sold it. This bike is definitely on my short list
firecrotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
I'm a big Husky fan. Really liked, and will miss, their wonderful dual sport line. I own an '07 TE250 and plan on putting a 300 kit in. Like you, I love the suspension on these machines. I'll be watching to see how these HusKTMs hold up. Thanks for posting!
Why would you have to wait?
The KTM 500 has been out since 2012. That's three years.
More than enough time.
They hold up just fine.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
chartersj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
sweet bike! the husky is my favorite flavor of the 500's, if there was one around this neck of the woods i would have snagged it before i got my xcw..
Old 04-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
hexaroot
n00b

Oddometer: 9
what did you use for a fuel sock? I've got an 08 TE450 and I'm having a little trouble finding the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hexaroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:08 AM   #11
DAVIEB OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaroot View Post
what did you use for a fuel sock? I've got an 08 TE450 and I'm having a little trouble finding the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm using a twin air fuel sock, im not sure if the TE450 would be the same, mine is the same as the KTM.

Im pretty lucky with most things like that, oil filters, air filters, even exhausts etc are all the same as KTM's.

Ive been looking at fuel tanks lately and it sounds like a KTM tank will fit on the bike but i need to modify the front of the seat, the from of the Husky seat is rounded and the KTM is a point. once that is done the bigger Acerbis tank will fit on.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 AM   #12
The Wolf
Among The Living

Oddometer: 306
bout time somebody started a thread on this bike.

sub'd
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:23 AM   #13
DAVIEB OP
n00b

Laugh

Just a little bit of an update, I have some bark buster style hand guards and stegz pegs coming for the bike. I'll be home on Wednesday and packing up for a 3 day weekend away with it.

I can't wait.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
SWEET bike, I'm thinking hard about this being my next bike!
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Current bike: something ORANGE!
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
DAVIEB OP
n00b

So my steg pegz arrived. They look pretty good, ill try to get some pics on Friday when I go for a ride. I hope I really like the feel of them, I've never used them before but the bike is narrow thru the middle and I'm struggling to hold on with my legs.

The bad thing is on the airbox side it actually covers the door on the airbox. Meaning I have to have an Allen key (hex key) to remove the steg pegz to get to the airbox.

Unless they are really good and I love them I can see myself getting frustrated with that at taking them off.

We'll see I guess.

Pics will be up Saturday lunchtime