Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
beffo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
XT660Z or f650gs dakar, wihich one is for me?

Hey guys!
I need your help as I'm struggling to decide what bike I should replace the Africa Twin with.

The AT I've got today is ok on the road, ok offroad and easy to fix when broken. But it is too heavy, too big, not nimble enough to be entertaining and a bit ugly (not exactly a chick magnet). Also the suspension is to spungy. I want a single cylinder biker, nimble, powerful and manageble, no KTM.

I use my bike to: go to work, take a spin around the country side a late evening in the summer, day trips to visit my hometown. For this the AT is ok. But I also like to take day trips offroad in the autum when the ground is soft and wet, get stuck in a mushy ditch, go on a weeklong trip through the backroads (gravel) along the border between Sweden/Norway, and next summer hopefully a 2 week trip to north cape.

I'm chosing between a BMW f650gs dakar -04 and a Yamaha XT660Z Tenere -08. I have ridden both and like them equally, eventohugh the tenere feels like a more complete adv tourer with the large tank and larger front faring. The dakar is 3500 euro and the tenere is 5000 euro. Is the tenere worth it?

So what is the verdict? Yamaha or BMW

Sweden to Austria - 2010
beffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,773
I'd pick the Yamaha. No real reason, they just appeal to me more than the f650gs.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Take the Tenere, you won´t regret it! I didn´t, still a satisfied&happy owner after 68.000km´s: it's lotsa fun to ride, it's an allround allroad travel bike, it does everything I want a bike to do, good fuel economy(good EFI), good looks, lotsa mods possibilities.....should I go on(I can!!)?
Greetz, Hans.

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Here's a piccie to tease you.....
Attached Images

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
Benjah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Personally I'd buy the Dakar and spend the rest tricking it out with upgraded rear suspension,yamaha front end, TT pegs..pipe.. etc.. but I love dicking around with stuff.

The Yamaha might be pretty good right out of the box. It certainly looks cooler. That nice big tank on the thing is always a plus too.
Benjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #6
beffo OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the help. But how about reliability and service.
Does it cost about the same?
Are they eaqually easy to fix by myself?

And I guess the Yamaha is a bit better offroad?

Sweden to Austria - 2010
Old 11-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
nightshade
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I'm pondering the same question. Borrowed an XT660Z for a day on B-roads and circled a F650 around a parking lot a couple of times. Both are nice to ride. I've read around the forum quite a bit and the owner feedback seems to indicate that the Tenere is a bit more cheaply built but easier to service (better access), whereas the BMW is said to be a bit more sophisticated, but more difficult to service. I like the XT for the fact that you can comfortably stand up off-road but on the road I prefer the engine of the BMW (The Yamaha stalled on me once when starting hot). Funnily enough the BMWs are currently quite a bit cheaper as used buys than the Teneres, even though they are supposed to be more up market. That probably simply reflects the age difference, but to be honest the two bikes are so similiar that this could be a selling point for me. But as always it boils down to perssonal taste...
Old 11-21-2011, 01:31 AM   #8
beffo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshade View Post
I'm pondering the same question. Borrowed an XT660Z for a day on B-roads and circled a F650 around a parking lot a couple of times. Both are nice to ride. I've read around the forum quite a bit and the owner feedback seems to indicate that the Tenere is a bit more cheaply built but easier to service (better access), whereas the BMW is said to be a bit more sophisticated, but more difficult to service. I like the XT for the fact that you can comfortably stand up off-road but on the road I prefer the engine of the BMW (The Yamaha stalled on me once when starting hot). Funnily enough the BMWs are currently quite a bit cheaper as used buys than the Teneres, even though they are supposed to be more up market. That probably simply reflects the age difference, but to be honest the two bikes are so similiar that this could be a selling point for me. But as always it boils down to perssonal taste...
Scary... those are my exact conclusions too. I feel the same way in every aspect.
Although I'm going for the Tenere because of my personal taste: nicer riding position standing on the pegs and sitting down behind windscreen, modern offroad look, a friend of mine has a dakar and it would be fun to have something different.

I may be back to tell the story when I've had the Tenere for a while.

Sweden to Austria - 2010
Old 11-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
nightshade
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beffo View Post
Scary... those are my exact conclusions too. I feel the same way in every aspect.
Although I'm going for the Tenere because of my personal taste...
The Tenere is definitvely a hot looking piece of metal (and, well, plastic...). Maybe another reason why they don't drop in price that much compared to new ones.

At one point I did some maths and figured out that for the same money or less than the Tenere you could buy the standard XT, the 26l Off-the-Road tank, a fly screen and move the exhaust from underneath the engine to the side, which comapred to the Tenere gives you a lighter bike with slightly better fuel range, but then it's not going to be on par in the looks department.

Enjoy your bike! I'm curious to see what I will opt for in the end...
Old 11-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
AdventureRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Teneren to 100% Better to drive

Se Adventurerider.se

Hello from Borås
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
aegean
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Depends on which organ you use to make a decision. I was making the same decision 3 years ago and I picked the GS, lighter, ABS, less fuel consumption and has 2 PS more. So I made the decision with my head, and spent the next 3 years looking at tenere pics on the net. Finally, sold the GS, bought a tenere this summer, and every time I stand before this bike, I feel my pants get warm ;) Tenere is just sexy, get it, you won't regret it.
aegean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Hej Beffo!

I am in the process of moving to Sweden (Gothenburg actually)...and the XT660Z tenere is high on my list too.

I have not ridden either bike. Both are very reliable.

My take on the tenere: better ADV tourer
I would expect the tenere to be a little bigger, with more room for luggage and better passenger accomodations, and more room to wrench on. The dual disc brakes might feel great when loaded up on tour, or when two-up. Appears to have a strong aftermarket (lots of luggage \ crashbar options etc). And it looks badass, in a clone war sort of way (but i suspect it won't exactly be a babe magnet either might need to opt for a ducati or a HD for that...but then they might attract the wrong ladies). I have been seeing used 08's for 50k SEK advertised in sweden...which seems reasonable to me.

My take on the F650GS dakar: better dirt bike
The F650GS dakar i expect to handle better (lower CofG with the fuel carried lower, one front disc)...but with less room for rider and pillion, and less ultimate stopping power. For me the '11 F650GS (with the cast wheels) is a nice package to consider.

For me, the extra range of the Xt660z is nice but not necessary since even with the smallish tank on the F650GS you can get 200 miles without refueling.

Lycka till!
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
beffo OP
Adventurer

Hey guys.

About the Tenere... I can no longer come up with any reason (other than price tag) to go for the dakar. Even though it's a nice bike I want to have the tenere more in every way. So tenere it is. And let's face it: unless you become a supercross star, an offroad bike will never be a chick magnet. In that case it would have to be a naked ducati or a sports bike. But who wants to ride on street tires :)

The funny thing about the big tenere tank is, that it doesn't matter... my friend on the dakar will need to stop for fuel anyway. And if he runs out of gas, guess who is going to ride away to get some for him :)

As analbant (Oh man! did you really chose that nickname) pointed out: Be sure to use the appropriate organ in decissionmaking. Or else you will regret it ... Check!

AdventureRider: I will need to register at that forum to get help finding nice backroads close to home. There are some great gravel roads north and noth-east of göteborg that I usally ride, But maybe i could find even better roads west of Borås.

SpaceManSpiff: I think both bikes are very similar in size and feel. There are no shortage in the accesories department for either one, which will make luggage an easy task to take care of. In my eyes the tenere seem to be more aimed at offroad but also has a nice wind protection that is easily possible to improve for touring.
Welcome to Göteborg! hope you'll feel at home.
By the way, you know that the winter is here don't you.

Sweden to Austria - 2010
Old 11-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
For looks: Tenere
For essence: Dakar
Smart farkler's choice: Xt660R

visit
http://www.off-the-road.de
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,784
the GS has an ongoing list of issue/problems.
-waterpumps that fail
-headlight wiring
not deal breakers but things to be aware of.

the reports of the tenere are more favorable as far as reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
Hej Beffo!

I am in the process of moving to Sweden (Gothenburg actually)...and the XT660Z tenere is high on my list too.

I have not ridden either bike. Both are very reliable.

My take on the tenere: better ADV tourer
I would expect the tenere to be a little bigger, with more room for luggage and better passenger accomodations, and more room to wrench on. The dual disc brakes might feel great when loaded up on tour, or when two-up. Appears to have a strong aftermarket (lots of luggage \ crashbar options etc). And it looks badass, in a clone war sort of way (but i suspect it won't exactly be a babe magnet either might need to opt for a ducati or a HD for that...but then they might attract the wrong ladies). I have been seeing used 08's for 50k SEK advertised in sweden...which seems reasonable to me.

My take on the F650GS dakar: better dirt bike
The F650GS dakar i expect to handle better (lower CofG with the fuel carried lower, one front disc)...but with less room for rider and pillion, and less ultimate stopping power. For me the '11 F650GS (with the cast wheels) is a nice package to consider.

For me, the extra range of the Xt660z is nice but not necessary since even with the smallish tank on the F650GS you can get 200 miles without refueling.

Lycka till!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote