User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
tsiklonaut OP
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
HYPERPRO shocks / suspension

There's not much talk about Hyperpro's shocks. I'll take a chance to introduce them.

To cut a long story short, in those 70 000+ miles so far we've had nightmares with our rear shocks on our RTW expedition, currently 2nd year on the road. We are two up and too often take trails and offroad tracks that most 2-uppers never do. We've had correctly set up shocks, with very strong spring and stiffer valving, but still we've managed to literally murder (well hyped here in ADVrider and that's why I bought them-) Wilbers shock 6 (!!!) times and Öhlins 2 times till it finally cracked into two pieces (yes, you got it right).

If you skip the constantly exploding hydraulic preloaders and other (non-show-stopper) minor things we've had, another big issue has been overheating of the shock, since R850/1100/1150 bikes have the rear shock half-hidden inside the airbox. It's a bad design for very long and rough slow speed trail or offroad conditions where shock does a lot of work but doesn't get enough cooling due to slow speeds. In South Bolivia our Öhlins smoked and burned paint (yes, you got that right too - shock CAN smoke coz of extreme heat!). Also bottoming out has been an issue - even if you have a very strong spring and correct sag spec + stiffer damping, it still bottoms out since the spring allows residual momentum from the bump to further absorb into the shock - you really feel it with heavily loaded bike. We've had constant (regular) springs on all shocks, since in Wilbers and Öhlins case we weren't really offered a progressive spring option even on customizing the shocks with harder springs and explaining the abusive use they would be receiving. Öhlins had been the bravest so far, but its payoff is its ultralight design that ultimately failed us big time - while it may be an excellent tarmac road or a racing shock with good dampening properties, it's still simply not a shock for extreme heavy duty conditions under a heavy bike.

I guess live and learn... (with shocks it's learning the hardest way - $$$style!)

Now we had done some more homework. Looking from the known shock manufacturers who make shocks with external reservoir: WP, although potentially very good shocks we skipped them since they also seem to focus on making ultralight shocks exactly like Öhlins - no more cracking and bending bodies please! Wilbers - although we haven't tried the model with external reservoir, we've had horror with the regular model already, so no. Elka - not much information about them and not much testimony (would love to hear though!). The rest either don't have models with external reservoir for R1100/850/1150 or if making one, then it's some not known company.

So we also listened to the advice from experienced ADV superstars and little known company called Hyperpro came on our radar. Mostly widely known progressive springs provider and steering dampener producer - this is how I know them but I did not know they actually make proper shocks as well.

They caught my attention mainly because they really are heavy duty shocks by specification: progressive springs are installed already in stock settings (not many offer those!), although Hyperpro doesn't reveal the materials used, judging by the weight compared to Öhlins, I guess it's a proper steel body and extremely thick rod (have to measure it, but I reckon it's 16mm or more) combined with very robust design. Also the angular tolerance through internal bushings was almost the double of Öhlins for example.

Their web: http://www.hyperpro.com/

In US: http://www.hyperprousa.com/

Note that they require one week to custom build shocks exactly for your needs from the scratch.

Some pics:

Packaging is excellent.

Rear installed. Remote reservoir attached to the footpeg mount (very easy access to adjust the high- and slow speed dampening)

Front one with integrated reservoir (aka "piggyback"). You need to remount the horn sideways with supplied bolts to create space for the external reservoir. Access to the adjustment knobs (high and slow speed dampening) is very easy with the screwdriver.

Front one uses standard progressive spring: 47-63 Nm/mm
Rear is extreme (most of our weight is rear): 198-292 Nm/mm

Bike is around 450-460 kg range (depending on how much camping food and supplies we carry).

We've now done some testriding in Al Hajjar mountains in Oman, Arabian Peninsula. It covered highway, curves, smooth gravel, mountain trails to rocky riverbed trails (aka wadis in the desert) and for the first time bike felt near perfect in terms of dampening 2up fully loaded. Still need to experiment with the dampening and rebound adjustments, but they already are very good with the factory settings.

Now we've covered some 2000+ miles with them, currently in Yemen and still going strong. Will let you know how they'll do once we reach Africa.

Anyways, so far I can tell those who're looking for new shocks - not just looking good in fancy colored shocks for weekend rides but proper shocks capable of taking abuse on long overland travels on bad roads, HYPERPROs are a things to consider.

Ride safe,
Margus
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Knew about them long ago and they're a fine set from Holland. Stuffed them on my 2005 1200GS/sidecar and have never looked back. The man to speak to is Klaus Huenecke at Hyperpro-USA in NJ. You have no idea of how I have asked them for forgiveness during my gnarly travels and yet they responded in kind. Still going strong after 40,000 miles.....
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,718
Always interesting to read real-world experiences on product durability, and I was wondering about the build of Hyperpros.

I've put about 22k miles on a new pair of Elkas over the past 9 months with no issues, but I'm sure they haven't been subjected to conditions like yours.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Knew about them long ago and they're a fine set from Holland. Stuffed them on my 2005 1200GS/sidecar and have never looked back. The man to speak to is Klaus Huenecke at Hyperpro-USA in NJ. You have no idea of how I have asked them for forgiveness during my gnarly travels and yet they responded in kind. Still going strong after 40,000 miles.....
Elmer, did you match the sidecar's shock to those on your bike, or is it really not so important? If you matched them, was Klaus able to speak knowledgeably about the requirements for hacks?

Pete
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
rjdills
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Klaus moved onto become a Hyperpro dealer after a dispute caused him to lose his Wilbers relationship. Both Klausand his product as well regarded. I however am still a huge Wilbers fan.
1977 Triumph Bonnevile 750 (Bonnie)
1977 Yamaha 500TT (Tata)
2001 Beta ALP 200 (Betty)
2004 BMW 1150 GS (Sally)
2007 KTM 450 EXC (Rikki)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (Karen)
2008 Beta 250 LongRide Trial (Bella)
2008 Polaris Razr (Rachel)
2009 BMW 1200 GS (Bailey)
2009 Honda CRF 230 R (Heather)
rjdills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
tsiklonaut OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Still going strong after 40,000 miles.....
That's good to hear. Will keep you updated how mines hold up.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Huggin' Jugs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
I just received mine

Klaus was a pleasure to work with when I ordered my shocks for my '02 GS. While Ohlin's and Wilburs have 2 yr warranties HyperPro has a 5 yr warranty. Must speak to the confidence the company has in their product. I also like how I could customize my shocks to my weight/riding style without the added cost. I'm looking forward to trying them out!
Old 12-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
finalwest
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Removing Springs and shocks on R1200

I dunno if this will help any of you guys but i put these hyperpro springs on this weekend If it helps great if not... my bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEJLjqytuZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvTvq5EkkNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM_-GOGQj7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W-EOF8A2W0
finalwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #9
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
I suppose it'll take another trip to Bolivia before we can tell how well the Hyperpro's hold up.

I wonder how easy it is to adjust those damping settings in the front? I know you mention they are easy, but they don't appear to be easy to adjust or see.

There is no remote preload adjustment on the rear shock?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:25 AM   #10
tsiklonaut OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I suppose it'll take another trip to Bolivia before we can tell how well the Hyperpro's hold up.

I wonder how easy it is to adjust those damping settings in the front? I know you mention they are easy, but they don't appear to be easy to adjust or see.

There is no remote preload adjustment on the rear shock?
We've now done trails in Africa that overweight Bolivian trails in technical offroad difficulty by a magnitude and Hypepros have just kept going while the rest of the bike is almost falling apart around the shocks. From this experience I can tell there's no comparision in terms of "taking a punch" really - Hypepros win hands down.

Front is utterly easy to adjust - I can adjust dampening with the ignition key, don't even need a screwdriver.

Rear in our case INTENTIONALLY doesn't have hydraulic preloader although they offered us - it's one thing less to go wrong - we rarely need it since we ride with one weight all the time and most of all - we've had too many problems in extreme conditons with Öhlins preloader that leaked empty taking the first bump under a stiff 200Nm spring. It's just a previous bad experience that made to decide against a preloader this time. Although Hypepro preloader is probably more reliable than Öhlins preloader, still we didn't risk it. The simpler, the better. When we go back home and I constantly have to adjust the preload, then I'll add one, but definitely not for a 2-up offroad RTW expedition.

My 2c,
Margus
Old 12-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
dutch97501
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I have a set of the ESA Hyperpro's on my 09 GSA with 20k on them now and have had zero problems with them. Even with 200lbs of gear on the bike it corners like its on rails. In the dirt wash boards where the rear tire could not get traction with the OEM shocks it now tracks strait and hooks up. I have Ohlins on my other bike and yes they to work well but I do have to service them every 14k as the start to leak. Here is another group that uses Hyperpro. http://www.sibirskyextreme.com/equipment/
dutch97501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
did you add the optional adjustment device they sell for a couple hundred more? If so what's your take on that option? Did you go with a lower shock? I'm getting ready to go with either a Hyperpro,or a Wilber;still undecided??
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
dutch97501
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
did you add the optional adjustment device they sell for a couple hundred more? If so what's your take on that option? Did you go with a lower shock? I'm getting ready to go with either a Hyperpro,or a Wilber;still undecided??
I went with the adjustable high and low dampening adjustment. Im glad I did. when I first put the shocks on they seemed stiff. As time went on I ended up adding more low speed dampening to get rid of the sensation of floating when I have all the bags on at freeway speeds. If I had It to do all over again I would buy them again.
dutch97501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #14
Amarok
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hello, my mechanic installed my front spring Hyperpro with tighter turns down, what do you think?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #15
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,078
Any update on how the hyperpros are holding up?

I've been getting off the beaten path more and more recently and am interested in a heavy duty shock that can take a pounding.

Garrett.
gastone is online now   Reply With Quote