Old 11-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #31
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcam
A short sound check vid I made in the garage today :
Sweet ride!

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #32
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Would take some serious work to make one of these a good looking naked bike...

lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #33
gunrunner 2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31

Sorry, but no pics. I have an 08 silver with Ti AK. Carbon fiber can & PCIII. Saying she will "Haul" is an understatment..
Haven't topped her out with a gps yet , but she will take the needle all the way around & back to the pin on 0

I also have two other ..Slower bikes... 04 ZX636 & 05 ZRX 1200R.
Just love the 14..

gunrunner 2
gunrunner 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #34
optimum_malarky
Premium nonsense

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Great looking 14! Can you tell us more about your bag set-up and any other touring mods you've made? This is the second zx-14 I've seen set up for sport-touring and I'm smitten!

Past:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 N,
2003 R1150 GS,2004 Triumph Speed Triple (wrecked), 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2003 Suzuki SV650, 1984 R80 ST , 1973 CB750
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #35
zedd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimum_malarky View Post
Great looking 14! Can you tell us more about your bag set-up and any other touring mods you've made? This is the second zx-14 I've seen set up for sport-touring and I'm smitten!

Sure,

The bags are the GIVI V35's attached withe the SWMotech brackets. I ordered them through twisted throttle as they have on their website a video that shows the installation. The video is very helpful and installation was very easy, (the employees could use some acting lessons..). Also, the bags and brackets can be removed in under a minute. Overall very very happy with the bag set up. When riding I don't even know they're there. I don't ride two up so I can't comment on if they interfere with a passenger.

One note is that the bags will not hold a XL helmet. Its more the shape of the bags then the capacity.

I also installed the COX radiator guard as there are a few reports of rocks damaging it. Other than that its just a gps and heated grips. I recently ordered some genmar risers, just have to get them installed. Tires are now pilot road 2's. Everyone loves em and I agree, they do all you could ask of a sport touring tire.

I hear a lot of people comment, "just get a C14". Well... I went in to buy the C14 and came home with ZX. "For me", it just feels better. I have ~11,000 miles and all the bike has needed is gas, tires and oil.

If there is a nit, it is that this puppy puts out some heat.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:38 AM   #36
zedd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
extra pics...

zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #37
DJGypsy
Ewok Taxidermist

Oddometer: 436
hey 14 riders, can you please field some questions for me?

without riding like a total hooligan, how long do your tires/chains/sprockets last?

thanks so much!
DJGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #38
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
I have 16,000 miles on my original chain and sprockets. Metzeler Z6's last a long, long, time in sportbike terms. Rears last me 6000, fronts...much longer.

I use my ZX as a sport tourer. It's an amazing motorcycle.
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #39
DJGypsy
Ewok Taxidermist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
I have 16,000 miles on my original chain and sprockets. Metzeler Z6's last a long, long, time in sportbike terms. Rears last me 6000, fronts...much longer.

I use my ZX as a sport tourer. It's an amazing motorcycle.
thank you for the answers

i'm really on the fence between a few bikes, but i have about 5 months to decide, thank god. what's splitting hairs is insurance costs ($100-125/mo quoted) and maintenance costs. (valve re-lashing, tires, chains...you know, the things that you go through when you actually ride a bike and not let it be a dust magnet)

if i got a 14 it would primarily serve sport touring & commuting duties, to the tune of about 300-400 miles a week. 6k for a rear sounds fine for a bike like that.

with your sport touring riding, what's your fuel economy like?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #40
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGypsy View Post
thank you for the answers

i'm really on the fence between a few bikes, but i have about 5 months to decide, thank god. what's splitting hairs is insurance costs ($100-125/mo quoted) and maintenance costs. (valve re-lashing, tires, chains...you know, the things that you go through when you actually ride a bike and not let it be a dust magnet)

if i got a 14 it would primarily serve sport touring & commuting duties, to the tune of about 300-400 miles a week. 6k for a rear sounds fine for a bike like that.

with your sport touring riding, what's your fuel economy like?
It was up around 40 stock, taking it easy, but it's in the low-mid 30's now. It has a Brock Hindle Street Meg exhaust, custom mapped Power Commander, BMC race air filter, and the secondary throttle bodies have been removed. It makes about 180 RWHP and 105 lb-ft of torque, IIRC.
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #41
DJGypsy
Ewok Taxidermist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
It was up around 40 stock, taking it easy, but it's in the low-mid 30's now. It has a Brock Hindle Street Meg exhaust, custom mapped Power Commander, BMC race air filter, and the secondary throttle bodies have been removed. It makes about 180 RWHP and 105 lb-ft of torque, IIRC.
wow, you filled in all the info i needed, even down to the upgrades i was considering. thank you so much!
Old 03-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #42
Tricky One
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Here is my girl loaded up on a camping trip last year. The saddlebags won't work unless you have short pipes. The tank bag is a magnetic Rapid Transit that works great. The duffel is a scuba gear bag so it's waterproof. I used 4 1" fasteners to clip the duffel to the saddlebags which had the receivers for a tail bag. It all held up to a couple thousand mile trip including a lot of playing on the dragon and Interstate speeds .
Attached Images

Tricky One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #43
abogado68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I just sold my 2001 750cc katana and looking to buy either a zx-14 or a busa. A good friend of mine owns a zx-14, but he has also owned Kawasaki all of his life so he might be a bit biased. That said, I have a few questions:

1.- How are the ergonomics, I mean which biks is more comfortable for 300-500 mi a day rides?

2.- Which bike is smoother?

3.- How does a busa measure up to a zx-14?

Thank you.
abogado68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #44
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
I have had both a 2000 Hayabusa and now a 2006 ZX14 and i think the zx14 is a better machine than my Busa ever was. Both had suspension work done with full aftermarket exhaust and Power commander and secondary throttle slides yanked out,And the 14 outhandled and out stopped the Busa. The only place the Busa had an edge is maybe in low end grunt .Had them also on the dragstrip and the 14 was always faster in ET and speed by about 5mph at the end of the 1/8 mile. Also i like it better for touring as well.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 AM   #45
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
I have had both a 2000 Hayabusa and now a 2006 ZX14 and i think the zx14 is a better machine than my Busa ever was. Both had suspension work done with full aftermarket exhaust and Power commander and secondary throttle slides yanked out,And the 14 outhandled and out stopped the Busa. The only place the Busa had an edge is maybe in low end grunt .Had them also on the dragstrip and the 14 was always faster in ET and speed by about 5mph at the end of the 1/8 mile. Also i like it better for touring as well.
No comments on how the ergo's compare...or ride and engine smoothness? I doubt the drag strip is where most people will spend majority of time on a bike.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote