Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 02:51 AM   #61
Tar snakes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar snakes View Post
I've been ringing around getting prices on new old stock 2010 models today. Hope to pull the trigger soon. Not much heavier than the old VFR800 but near twice the horsepower!
I ended up buying this one - new old stock 2010. This pic taken on its very first ride.

Blakebird - what pipes are they in the picture of your ZX14?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #62
road2ruin
Like new adult owned

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar snakes View Post
I ended up buying this one - new old stock 2010.
Very nice!
road2ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #63
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
When I was looking for a new bike I looked hard at the ZX14...One thing that surprised me is that it actually felt LIGHT to me just sitting on it...I like the Busa as well but by comparison it feels much heavier...Definitely a bike to have if you want comfort and performance..Just put on some new bars and you're there...The only thing that kept me from the ZX14 was the oil leak reports.
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #64
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by sands View Post
When I was looking for a new bike I looked hard at the ZX14...One thing that surprised me is that it actually felt LIGHT to me just sitting on it...I like the Busa as well but by comparison it feels much heavier...Definitely a bike to have if you want comfort and performance..Just put on some new bars and you're there...The only thing that kept me from the ZX14 was the oil leak reports.
I also noticed the 14 feels lighter than it is. It may be because the gas rides so low on the bike compared to conventional tank styles.

I haven't heard of this oil leak problem. Time for google I guess.
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #65
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by abogado68 View Post
I just sold my 2001 750cc katana and looking to buy either a zx-14 or a busa. A good friend of mine owns a zx-14, but he has also owned Kawasaki all of his life so he might be a bit biased. That said, I have a few questions:

1.- How are the ergonomics, I mean which biks is more comfortable for 300-500 mi a day rides?

2.- Which bike is smoother?

3.- How does a busa measure up to a zx-14?

Thank you.

I owned a 2007 ZX14 (the model modded by the factory for more low down grunt).

I now own a 2010 Busa.

My comments:

Ergos - the ZX is better, stock. The aftermarket for the Busa is far larger, so there are more choices for mods.

My Busa has helibars, a 1 inch riser and the Buell footpegs (1.5 inches lower). It is now more relaxed than the ZX. Long days are not as easy as my (sold) FJR, but they are bearable. I did 600 km yesterday, and I'm ready to get on again.

Smoothness - No contest. The Busa engine is the best in motorcycling, IMHO Effortless torque from idle. The Busa has much more low/mid than the ZX and perfect FI.

Past 7 or 8000 they are much the same - berserk.

I have had both to around 240 km/hr (on a closed course, of course!) - at that speed both are still pulling hard and the throttle is not fully open....

Handling - The Busa is sharper in the twisties. The ZX has far better stock front brakes - the Busa needs braided lines and new pads - it is then on a par with the ZX in the stopping dept.

The OEM rubber on the ZX is appalling. The ZX has more weight bias to the front, or different rake/trail, as if you let the front tyre pressure fall below about 38 psi it handles like a Mack truck.

The fit and finish on the Busa is better, but I'm being pedantic. The ZX is nicely finished as well. The ZX looks better with bags.

Both provide effortless cruising at 160 km/hr (100 MPH) - riding at the speed limit feels like you can get off and walk.

Ride both, and buy the one that gives you the biggest grin.

Both are magnificent motorcycles.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #66
abogado68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Bird View Post
I owned a 2007 ZX14 (the model modded by the factory for more low down grunt).

I now own a 2010 Busa.

My comments:

Ergos - the ZX is better, stock. The aftermarket for the Busa is far larger, so there are more choices for mods.

My Busa has helibars, a 1 inch riser and the Buell footpegs (1.5 inches lower). It is now more relaxed than the ZX. Long days are not as easy as my (sold) FJR, but they are bearable. I did 600 km yesterday, and I'm ready to get on again.

Smoothness - No contest. The Busa engine is the best in motorcycling, IMHO Effortless torque from idle. The Busa has much more low/mid than the ZX and perfect FI.

Past 7 or 8000 they are much the same - berserk.

I have had both to around 240 km/hr (on a closed course, of course!) - at that speed both are still pulling hard and the throttle is not fully open....

Handling - The Busa is sharper in the twisties. The ZX has far better stock front brakes - the Busa needs braided lines and new pads - it is then on a par with the ZX in the stopping dept.

The OEM rubber on the ZX is appalling. The ZX has more weight bias to the front, or different rake/trail, as if you let the front tyre pressure fall below about 38 psi it handles like a Mack truck.

The fit and finish on the Busa is better, but I'm being pedantic. The ZX is nicely finished as well. The ZX looks better with bags.

Both provide effortless cruising at 160 km/hr (100 MPH) - riding at the speed limit feels like you can get off and walk.

Ride both, and buy the one that gives you the biggest grin.

Both are magnificent motorcycles.

Thank you.
abogado68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #67
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Thread revival

Finally got the 14 where I want it. Gen-Mar risers and Buell footpegs make it very comfy. That being said, I'm really thinking about selling it. Getting old I guess, but I find myself riding the Bandit more. And I just bought a Ducati and will most likely be dedicating all of my maintenance time to that.

lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:12 AM   #68
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
Looks great.

The genmar risers are a very worthwhile mod.

Love the yoshi.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 AM   #69
SAkic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
tropical bird, I found that useful also. Tossing up atm.

blackbird, hayabusa or zx14, so far the zx14 gets the nod. I am 195cm tall and fairly lanky, so no big gut but pretty cramped up on lots of bikes.

in the 90's (my early 20's) I managed to ride and own a RGV, then GSX-R and lastly ZX7R. I have had a 95 model xtz660 tenere for the last 5-6 years and it's time for a road bike again. I can only have one bike, so hoping one of the big ones can tick a few boxes.

Would love a pure sports bike, just would rather be able to ride all day in more comfort, rather than full-on for an hour or two.

I have not been on any of the big bikes yet, but the next 2-3 weekends I have off family duites to go bike shopping.

Would be the last/newest of the blackbird, prefer >2008 onwards for the busa and as long as the price is right for the zx14r as new as possible.

Is there a prefered year to look out for with the zx14r? hanging to get another kawasaki.
SAkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #70
optimum_malarky
Premium nonsense

Oddometer: 371
How about the latest Kawi, the ZX-14r? Anyone had a chance to check one out in person? How do they compare to the previous year's model?

Past:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 N,
2003 R1150 GS,2004 Triumph Speed Triple (wrecked), 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2003 Suzuki SV650, 1984 R80 ST , 1973 CB750
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #71
gunrunner 2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Faster,, Lot faster.....
gunrunner 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #72
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,264
The Feb issue of Cycle World showed up on my Nook this morning and they had the first full test, at least that I've seen, of the new 14R. Looks like the bar has been raised by a significant amount. For the first time in many years, I think I want a Kwak!
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #73
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,256
The new 14

Does it have the same ECU that cuts power in all but top gear? They had these in previous models wherein people had to put a "chip" in line to fool the bike into thinking it was in 6th gear all the time so full power would be available in all gears. Was considering the new one, but cant get an answer to this question. Thanks

2009 Triumph Speed Triple "the mistress"
2008 BMW R1200GSA Mary Jane
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #74
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesaintsfan View Post
Does it have the same ECU that cuts power in all but top gear? They had these in previous models wherein people had to put a "chip" in line to fool the bike into thinking it was in 6th gear all the time so full power would be available in all gears. Was considering the new one, but cant get an answer to this question. Thanks

From reading the CW review I'd say no. They ran a 9.4? quarter at 150! (that's from memory) It has 2 power modes, one that trims power above 6500rpm but its switchable, and also 3 TC modes. They also said it slams into the 186mph speed limiter with a vengeance, and actually stutters there, like its got plenty left. 175mph in the 1/2 mile. NUTS.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #75
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,112

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
This a early video when I had a set of Arrows on it and I was getting rid of the Bridgestones Crappy video.

car94 screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 10:24 AM
car94 is offline   Reply With Quote