User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #166
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 266
USB Connection Reliability

USB Type A connections are pretty robust. We have never had a failure reported. The TAPP CAPP certainly adds a lot of support. It fits tightly enough that you can actually hear it pop when you separate the cable from the TAPP. However, the since the Type A plug is so robust I would not spend money on a TAPP CAPPed cable for added strength. Their application is weather protection.

The device end is a different story. We have had more issues with the USB Type B Mini than we care to see. We are on our third iteration of our USB GPS charging cable in an effort to make them more robust. So far the combination of a pull tab to help ensure that the user pulls the plug straight out of the device without twisting it, extending the rubber as far over the metal shell as the USB spec will allow and slightly harder rubber compound has done the trick.

This is of little concern to you as your application is a smartphone which is USB Type B Micro.The USB Type B Micro is considerably more robust than the USB Type B Mini. We have had no warranty returns of cables where the metal shell of the plug has become dislodged from the rubber.
We have found that using a right angle plug significantly reduces the overhung load on the device socket and the bending load on the cable plug. We don't even offer USB Type B Micro straight plugs for that reason.

This brings up an issue that I have with the Powerlet cable. The device end is a USB Type B Micro straight which is the worst possible configuration for powersports vehicle applications.
I know that you want to minimize the number of pieces in your smartphone charging circuit but give the one piece system some careful scrutiny.

The other issue I have is that you are stuck with the Type B Micro for all applications. Say you purchase a new smartphone that has the USB socket in a location where the straight plug on the cable just doesn't work. You have to replace the whole shebang, regulator and all. And with what - they don't have a RA version. Also, if the Type B Micro plug failed for some reason you are in the same position of replacing everything.

With a separate charger port, be it one like our TAPP or a cigarette lighter adapter you have complete freedom to change cables for optimum application configuration and can replace it if necessary.

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #167
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
OK. You've won and convinced me. Thanks for answering all my questions. No hard feelings. I'll be placing an order directly.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #168
Desert Matt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Hi There

I fitted a Tapplite 12 months ago and ran all last season with no issues charging my I Phone and Scala rider.

Left the bike over winter and got it out for it's first ride to find my I phone won't recognise the power feed. Changed cables and tried another phone, no difference. Both cables tried worked off another feed in the house, so don't believe it is an issue with the cables. Also the Scala rider will still charge of the port. This one has got me baffled.

What could the issue be?
Desert Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #169
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Matt View Post
Hi There

I fitted a Tapplite 12 months ago and ran all last season with no issues charging my I Phone and Scala rider.

Left the bike over winter and got it out for it's first ride to find my I phone won't recognise the power feed. Changed cables and tried another phone, no difference. Both cables tried worked off another feed in the house, so don't believe it is an issue with the cables. Also the Scala rider will still charge of the port. This one has got me baffled.

What could the issue be?
Why don't I ever get the easy ones
This is a real mystery as there is nothing in the regulator that would degrade over time.
I'll ask the obvious: have you checked the fuse and the connections at the battery. I don't see the fuse as being as issue but the battery connections might have grown some hair over winter.
The connections in the USB port are self-cleaning wipers so that is an unlikely source of the problem.
Do you have my company email address? If not, send me a PM and I'll send it to you. It's easier to carry on longer threads.
If we come up with a solution I'll post it here.
-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #170
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
Do you have my company email address? If not, send me a PM and I'll send it to you. It's easier to carry on longer threads.

-Shov
DUH! I don't have to wait for you to send me a PM. PM sent with email address.
-Shov