Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #91
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 267
Way cool installation. Would you allow us to use your photo(s) on our website gallery?
-Shov
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #92
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
Way cool installation. Would you allow us to use your photo(s) on our website gallery?
-Shov
Absolutely!...though I took that photo as the sun was going down with the camera on my phone (hence the flash). If you want something better for your website, I'll snap another picture that shows the TAPP and the 3BR Designed mount a little better.
08 Suzuki DR 650 - 15k, FCR-MX, GSXR-40F0, Header mod, TKC80, SC Seat, PWD Skid Plate, TCI Rack, TCI HL Guard, Wolfman Wolf Tail, DR250 TL, Ulysses Windscreen and Turn Signals, IMS tank, Raptor Petcock, GL Coyote and Fandango Bags, MR Tie Downs
RamMan4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #93
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Installation Photos

That would be great if you have a chance to take more pics. If so, you can send them directly to us at: support@3brpowersports.com

Thanks again,
Old 09-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #94
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

An update on the TAPP install...I was going to ride my bike into work this morning, but the battery was dead. Dead as in it wouldn't even turn on the neutral light. My guess is the battery drain is a combination of the fact that I had my Garmin plugged in (though it was turned off so it should have been a slow drain) and the leech effect from the 5V voltage regulator in the TAPP port.

It's my own fault for hard wiring it to the battery...I should have either used a relay or wired it to "key-on" power. I'll take care of it this weekend as well as putting my battery on a charger.

I'll snap some more pictures as soon as I get the wiring sorted...
08 Suzuki DR 650 - 15k, FCR-MX, GSXR-40F0, Header mod, TKC80, SC Seat, PWD Skid Plate, TCI Rack, TCI HL Guard, Wolfman Wolf Tail, DR250 TL, Ulysses Windscreen and Turn Signals, IMS tank, Raptor Petcock, GL Coyote and Fandango Bags, MR Tie Downs
Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #95
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Battery Drain

This is the second report we have had of a totally drained battery over night. We don't know what is going on here. The vast majority of TAPP Lite installations are direct to the battery including those on our four test bikes and there hasn't been an inssue. The quiescent drain is only 8mA so it should take a couple of months to fully drain the average motorcycle battery.

We are going to run a test on the Garmin GPS that we have, Zumo 550, 60CSx, (both 12V) and an Oregon 450 and a couple of Nuvi's (USB powered) to see how much power they draw when turned off. I doubt that it is very much.

We'll keep you posted (no pun intended). Please let us know if you learn anything interesting.
-Shov
Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #96
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Thanks for the follow up. I'm not sure exactly how long it took to drain down, the last time I rode was Sunday so it was some time over the past 4 days. I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #97
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Battery Drain

Some interesting observations from our testing yesterday, some of which should have been apparent if we had just thought about it more.
First, if your GPS has rechargeable batteries, it will draw power from the USB power port even if it is off. We checked our little Nuvi 1250 and found that it drew ~250mA whether it was off or on. This would probably drop once the batteries were fully charged. This isn't much. Given that a typical motorcycle battery is maybe 12-18AH, it should take a couple of months to fully discharge.
On the other hand the Oregon only drew 140mA when it was on and for some reason10mA when it was off. We would have expected it to be the 8mA that the TAPP Lite draws with nothing plugged into it, i.e. it appears that the Oregon draws ~2mA when it is off. That's mice nuts but it is curious that it's anything at all.
Our Nuvi 550 is in one of the cars so we didn't have it to test. We tried powering up the Zumo 550 from the USB port. It ran fine but it doesn't charge the batteries from that port so we didn't learn anything.

The bottom line is that you will get some battery drain from a GPS that has rechargeable batteries, even if it is off. However, that shouldn't be enough to totally drain a motorcycle battery even over a few days. So we're still not sure what happened in your case.
Let us know if you find out anything from your end.
Also - if any other inmates have some idea of what is going on we would sure like to hear from you.
-Shov
Old 09-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #98
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Good points Geode, thanks.
We can maybe understand a weak or partially discharged the battery being depleted enough to where it wouldn't crank the engine but RamMan said that it wouldn't even light his neutral light. That's dead-dead. It's still a bit of a mystery.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #99
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Haven't had a chance to investigate yet...but should get to it this weekend. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #100
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,125
The other thing to keep in mind, RamMan's bike (DR650), like mine (KTM640A) is a dirtbike, that has been adapted to be street worthy. The 12-18AH stated is standard on large street/tour bikes. Both of our bikes run the same battery, Yuasa YTX-9BS, with an advertised 8AH! Another commonality is the 200Watt charge sys, which puts out much less than that at under 5k revs.

I had significant changes result from installing a Gel cell battery in mine and a few months ago upgraded to a best gel cell that Batteries Plus sells.
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #101
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Thanks Low594. We think you hit the nail on the head. We are thinking BIG battery where that DR has a little battery.
Our old XR600 has a Baja Designs kit that uses a dinky 700mA NiCad battery pack that would take no time at all to discharge with even a small load. The TAPP Lite 8mA quiescent drain would still take a few days to pull the battery down to where it wouldn't light the neutral light. However, with a GPS charging its batteries it's probably toast overnight.

Bottom line, if your bike has a small off-road battery, be sure that your USB powered device is not plugged into the TAPP Lite overnight or wire the TAPP Lite to a switched source.

Thanks again Low594, it looks like the mystery is solved. All we needed to do is pay attention
-Shov
Old 10-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #102
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Glad I could help!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #103
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Low is right...I ran some tests this morning and pulled the battery to check the amp hour rating. The TAPP lite pulls 10 mA when not connected to anything...though that's as low as my meter will read so it could have rounded up from 8mA. The Garmin nuvi 250W connected pulls 170-190mA turned on and 70-90mA turned off.

The battery is rated at 8amp-hour/10hour. I don't know what the last part means but I'll assume its just an 8amp-hour battery which gives me about 100 hours before it drains the battery with the garmin connected or 1000 hours with just the TAPP lit. These numbers also assume a fresh battery. Even with a battery double the size you would have 200 hours before my Garmin would drain the battery. Less time than that with some of the other GPSs that were tested.

None of this is a deal breaker. I'm going to put the TAPP on a relay. Shov you guys may want to consider a relay kit option for people that want plug and play.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #104
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

You should be able to run TAPP Lite directly off of the switch. It only draws 500MA at full load.
A relay never hurts if you have room to stuff one in somewhere.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #105
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Eastern Beaver sells nice relays that are the size of a small thumb! I think they are 20A, more than enough!