Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #196
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Thanks for putting this thread together.

Name OMG_WTF
2.) Steed of choice for trip
2011 f800gs
3.) Tires you plan to use (really just curious)
knobbies, dont know which. i have to do some research on this.
4.) Do you have any helmet communications gear (FRS, SCALA, etc.)
no. i don't want to buy one unless i really need to.
5.) Preferred lodging (camping, hotels, don't care, or would like some combination of camping/lodging)
i can just camp wherever. i prefer to camp at sites with running water, however. i've camped by the side of the road in west virginia. that gets old pretty quick.
6.) Maximum length of trip you can do (14 days, 21 days, or unlimited time)
21 days. I won't go for an unlimited time unless it was a truly epic trip, like to south america.
7.) Preferred dates for trip (15 September - 02 August as an example)
july/august. but, based on the trip reports, when is the best time to do this trip? i have to do some research on road conditions throughout the year. i think road conditions is the biggest deciding factor. i learned that on another trip.

I'm looking to do another long trip, this time with my new bike.
I am getting the bike ready for a long trip....somewhere.....
I am re-doing my camping gear setup from my last trip as well (better tent, more compressible sleeping bag, etc.). I'm getting my riding skills up to do some more trail riding, but I have a lot yet to learn.
I haven't done a lot of research on this trip, so some of my answers are tentative.

But based on what I read:
400 miles a day sounds fine. Camping when it's cooler is fine. I don't need to eat a lot, so I don't care about planning every meal. I think going in a small group is better. A small group moves faster, especially when you are camping. We should go on some weekend rides to test out touring/camping gear and get some practice in. (Even if I don't go on the trip I'd still like to do this.) Maybe you all have done that already over the years. I'm still working on getting my riding skills up and my bike ready (I don't even have a luggage setup yet --backordered).

inmate-n00b screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 08:41 PM
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #197
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I'd like to go with more experienced people and learn as much as I can, plus my bike is awfully heavy to lift up on my own.

I would forget about practicing your camping skills and get to the gym......lol
I came off on the Dempster with my KLR and a single wheeled trailer and it took me all my nuts to get it up again! I was with someone, but they were behind me in a fog, pea soup London style, thick....I came off in 4" of black beaver snot as we call it up here in Canaucklestan, I was leading the pack of vehicles , ok maybe a bit too quick, maybe, for the conditions, maybe, So any way....I slide to a stop sideways across the road.....I couldn't see 50 feet in any direction....all I could think about after the initial surprise was.....I'm going to get T-boned!!! Like I said it took all my strength to get it to my knees, waist then chest and finally all the way up, just in time to see the first pair of headlights! My bike is light in comparisn to your beast.....just saying.....somehow try and figure out how to get it up if you can....no pun intended....lol Try any way you can, even try and get someone who knows to teach you the fine art of getting it up....just in case....

I do agree with trial runs.....our group of 6 is already planning a few weekend camping trips for the same reasons. It's easy to do one over night excursion and ride home with everything stuffed into any nook and cranny, but do a night and then move to another location to force you to pack correctly to ride for another day's ride.

Practice makes perfect....for all things ......lol....practice practice practice.....enjoy.
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #198
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
I do agree with trial runs.....our group of 6 is already planning a few weekend camping trips for the same reasons. It's easy to do one over night excursion and ride home with everything stuffed into any nook and cranny, but do a night and then move to another location to force you to pack correctly to ride for another day's ride.
Well...I was partially joking about someone doing the heavy lifting.....but yeah trial runs are helpful and fun.

I like what you said (quoted above). That made me chuckle. That's exactly what my friend and I did last year for practicing for our Alaska trip. We were kind of cheating by just heading home on Sunday morning. Add another night and now you're getting some real practice!

inmate-n00b screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 04:16 PM
Old 02-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #199
willys
Beastly Adventurer

I reread your post....I misread it the first time...I instantly read 1200GS.....DOH! A 800 should be much easier to hoist up. It's easy when you are pissed at what happened and a bit in shock....don't sit and look at the bike for long before hoisting it back on it's wheels. Strength comes from being pissed....take advantage of it. There are ways to lift bikes and there are video clips posted on how to do it best. I have seen them on YouTube last year IIRC......it was interesting to see how to do it correctly, but when it came down to it...I just did it the old fashioned way and Popped my back again. Luckily I carry some good meds so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.....a damaged back could sideline you for the trip and up there.......there isn't much in the way of assistance. IMHO...I would take some sort of meds to help pain.....just in case something ever happens to you.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #200
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Quote:
I reread your post....I misread it the first time...I instantly read 1200GS.....DOH! A 800 should be much easier to hoist up. It's easy when you are pissed at what happened and a bit in shock....don't sit and look at the bike for long before hoisting it back on it's wheels. Strength comes from being pissed....take advantage of it. There are ways to lift bikes and there are video clips posted on how to do it best. I have seen them on YouTube last year IIRC......it was interesting to see how to do it correctly, but when it came down to it...I just did it the old fashioned way and Popped my back again. Luckily I carry some good meds so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.....a damaged back could sideline you for the trip and up there.......there isn't much in the way of assistance. IMHO...I would take some sort of meds to help pain.....just in case something ever happens to you.
Yeah I've seen those vids, too. Ladies picking up Harleys, etc.
It's all about technique.
You've convinced me I need to practice lifting my bike up. I'll lay my bike down in the grass and give it a few tries. I'll have to wait for the snow to melt first.

As far as meds, I usually take:
-advil gel caps
-benadryl for allergies and for sleeping through a a restless night at a camp site (it makes me drowsy). I've slept soundly near train tracks because of this stuff.
-centrum multi vitamin are always good on a long trip

Are you planning to do the same trip starting from canada?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #201
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Yes we are just north of Toronto and are planning to go Aug 6th and go for 2 weeks clockwise around the loop. We hope to be in Manic 5 in 2 days, 2 hard days but worth it. Then semi take our time to the ferry at the bottom of NFLD, then follow the coast back to Montreal and then back roads home.
As for meds....I got the good stuff...Oxy's and some other stronger stuff, I take them daily any way...bad neck and back....so if worse case happens...I'll just take a few more.....augh!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #202
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Quote:
As for meds....I got the good stuff...Oxy's and some other stronger stuff, I take them daily any way...bad neck and back....so if worse case happens...I'll just take a few more.....augh!
damn that sucks.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #203
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,554
Hey willys!

Be careful with taking a few more. They've found that meds like Oxycodone and mscontin can cause breathing problems.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #204
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
damn that sucks.
Yes it does. But without them, I and more than a few others on here would be in wheelchairs instead of riding.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 02-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #205
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Yes I have found out firsthand.....I have taken them prior to feeling the pain expecting it as I've worked too hard or something...then realize...I have to lay down and think about breathing! You soon realize that you are lying there and you just gasp all of a sudden after not breathing for a few minutes....

Yes...they are the only way I can keep riding...it is the last hobby I can still enjoy so to speak....meds are my best buddy so to speak! But I only take them when needed....I just don't get what some people get from them other than pain relief......luckily I am one of the few that don't get hooked on them. Now...anti depressants are a different story! I can't get rid of those bastards! I feel like I have just endured a week long drunk and am suffering the consequences. Just missing one is enough!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #206
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

I've never taken AD's but I've literally lived on pain meds off and on since Vietnam. And ever since the car accident in 02 I've been taking them pretty regularly. The bad part is that I built up an immunity and it keeps taking more of the crap. I'm hoping the last two surgeries will eliminate the need for them.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 02-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #207
High Side
Squidventurer

Oddometer: 179
Endangered Species - The Brook Trout !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
I asked for the map and
four weeks later I received the fishing guide.Go figure.

I'm surprised they didn't send you a Canadian citizenship

Quote:
Good...I was wondering about the fishing.....seriously! I plan on taking my rod to drop into a few lakes or rivers just to see what's there for supper...

Have an alternate back up plan for food. We did the same thing and scored zero. The rivers and waterways that have access from the road are so fished out that we didn't even have a bite. To give you an idea of how bad the fishing was, we were told by the locals that they ventured from the Lab. over to NFLD to do their own fishing. Of all the ride reports on here of rides across the Trans-Lab, how many have ever shown a shot of anyone ever holding up a pic of their catch ???? HHHhhhhhhmmmmmmmm ?

The only thing we caught was a buzz on and ya can't re-heat that for breakfast

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Costa Rica

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Climbs Mt. Washington
High Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #208
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Naugh...my fishing skills are just for fun....I'd never risk fishing for my supper....lol I would have thought that with the road being so new...there would have to be some fish ......Damn.....I life 1000yards from Lake Simcoe in Ontario.....it is so fished out by the orientals that there are no decent sized fish any more.....sorry but they seem to take anything that takes the bait.....yes it a huge problem here....sorry if it offends you...but it's true!

But...I still try my best on the odd morning and evening when there's nothing else to do. That is why I was thinking.....got's to be something worth catching up there besides a cold......lol
Old 02-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #209
Hulked Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Question

Thanks for all the work that went into this thread. It's been enormously helpful for me in planning my own trip in August.

The ferries seem like the only thing to really plan around. Do you really need reservations and if so, could you make a reservation a day in advance? I wonder how crowded they would be on a weekday in August. I really hate the idea of having to be somewhere at a certain time while I'm on vacation.
Hulked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #210
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,705
I can't speak to the Labrador to Newfoundland ferry but the Newfoundland to Nova Scotia I would try to make reservations as far out as possible. Last year getting on the island didn't seem as difficult as getting off. I would give the ferry companies a call when it starts getting close and keep an eye on the board here for additional insight.
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote