Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #31
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,322
No, and I don't need to crash and wreck the surgeons good work.

Thanks JD!

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #32
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6
Now, based on what I'm reading here, ground clearance doesn't appear to be a problem so lowering the bike a bit shouldn't be an issue, correct?

What about tires? Are knobbies necessary or would something like the Scorpion Sync found on the KTM Adv work?
The only time ground clearance might be an issue is on the Phase II section between Cartwright Junction and Red Bay -- both times I've ridden it, parts of that road were heavily potholed and very rough. For this it would be helpful to have 6" or so of suspension travel just to avoid bottoming it out, but for the rest of the road, suspension travel is a lot less important than how effective the suspension is and what sort of tires you're running.

I would definitely recommend knobby tires. TKC-80s work well. I personally would not run the Trans-Lab with anything less. You just don't know what sort of conditions you'll find once you get up there.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #33
tsilliker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I must also agree with those recommending knobbies. I rode it this year on a
KLR650 with Dunlop D606 tires and felt they were really necessary.
The construction between Lab City and the Goose made that part quite
Knarly.

A close call on 389 in Quebec also made me REALLY glad for the extra traction.
Cheap insurance on your life.
tsilliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:46 AM   #34
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
Many thanks

Again, thanks to all for sharing your own experiences and tagging to this site. Tomorrow, Blaster and I have our kickoff brainstorming session for the trip. Our focus is to build basically three packages that the group will vote on. These will take in account cost, time, and route. If you have a checklist, schedule, route or just more suggestions please post it here. Blaster and I will keep you in the loop to help guide our journey.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #35
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,442
A few additions

I added ferry information, travel guide links, weather link, and a few other things on the first page. Keep checking back and thanks for all the input so far!
Old 11-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #36
Sawdoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I may want to tag along, i live in the east coast and planning on doing that route. I would be able to meet in Quebec , maybe Baie Comeau . the timing is good and i would be riding my 06 KLR ( TKC,s by the way nothing less up there ) . Being a native of the east and having travelled that general area, bring lots of bug spray for August. I can camp and or do the Hotel thing, which always seems to be a great idea at the end of a very long day.

Sawdoc
Sawdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #37
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Welcome!

Sawdoc,

Welcome aboard and hope to ride with you this coming year!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #38
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,955
knobbies are nice when riding freshly graded sections, sounds like the new section is getting better too. Lots of local information to be found on ridetherock.com too
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #39
Sawdoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Thanks Bruce, i will keep watching the thread, and i expect at the end of the day i will try to tag along from Baie Comeau thru the ferry in Blanc Saiblon. I am pretty sure i will take the ferry at Port au Basque then head for the south shore and up to Kingston N.S ( near Digby ) to visit my daughter and granddaugheter at the Airforce base. Then home to Fredericton New Brunswick actually on your route. One idea you may want to consider is that i hear from some of my transpoatation buddies the "Cat" may be back in service this year from Yarmouth to Bar Harbour . This may be a consideration you want to keep in mind.

Regards
Rodney
Sawdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #40
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Sawdoc,

That's good news on the CAT, we were just talking about that yesterday and wishing it was in service!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #41
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #42
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Damn....I just posted our trip ....yep the same one...just 2 weeks earlier....hmmmm...? Then decided to use the search....DOH!
We are all on KLRs with probably Skinko 244's thinking the paved sections greatly out weight the gravel and thus prematurely wearing them out on the way there....? We're coming from the Toronto area, doing almost the same route except heading south through NFLD and then across and following the coastal roads along the gulf and St. Laurance river towards home.
Maybe we need to rethink our timing? We are used to bugs but don't need to welcome them.
I have had a nightmare with the ferry service leaving the rock and don't need another so I'm wondering how far in advance or not can we safely book that ferry? Night crossing with 4 bed berth. I want to sleep this time....!
I'm subscribed, great thread.
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #43
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,131
Time Zone Advice

Quebec is on U.S. East Coast Time
Labrador is +1 hour
Newfoundland is +1:30

The ferry landing at Blanc Sablon ("Labrador" to Newfoundland) is in Quebec, not Labrador, so you will pass a time zone change without realizing it. But, the ferry runs on Newfoundland time. So, in theory, if you were staying in a motel in Quebec and set the alarm in the room for the ferry the next morning, the ferry is running 1 1/2 hours ahead of your local time and you will probably be late.
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #44
502MAD
502MAD

Oddometer: 73
Going with Willys and others ....... good thread guys...... subscribed. Interested in tire choices of others.........

Canadian Distributor for: EarthX,Skene Design,Posi-Products,F2P Tech,Racer,HelmetLok, & more..
502MAD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #45
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
Update on Planning

Last Saturday J4S, Blaster, and I spent the beginning of the day discussing the TRANS LAB trip while enjoying some greasy food.

View Larger Map

Here is some fluff we talked about. Next task for Blaster and me is to set up 3 basic packages, we will post as we complete the cost, schedule, miles, blah, blah, blah

Gold Package: will consist of all Hotel, Restaurant, Long Ferry Ride with Cabin, etc.

Bronze Package: will consist of all camping sites, freeze dried meals, less Ferry and more riding, etc.

Silver Package will consist of a hybrid of the two others with a little of this and that.

Guaranteed to help the interested as they decide to go and start saving for the trip. We were not concerned with the numbers who say "YES" because we can always break up into smaller groups during the rides. Also, if one group of folks can't make the two week window set by us, they can use the info but leave another time. Stay tuned lurkers... It only gets more OCD.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote