User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #601
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
$

Is there a need to bring Canadian currency?
When I went to BC, YT and Toronto, there really wasn't a need.
You can use a credit card or US dollars (for a 1:1 conversion), which is less expensive when you factor in exchange rate fees.....
Just curious if the more remote gas stations out there work that way. They did in the Yukon.

Thx.
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:42 AM   #602
BluenoseGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Credit and debit cards will work. I dont think US cash is commonly accepted in Newfoundland and Labrador. I haven't seen US currency used here in the Maritimes and didn't see anyone using it on the TLH a couple weeks ago. I would do as I do when traveling south of the border - grab local currency when you need it at an ATM.
BluenoseGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #603
firefighter651
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Well the guys left North Sydney about 2 hours ago to do the Trail,good luck.
firefighter651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #604
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,297
Goggles arrived

I got my goggles in tonight and they work with the Hornet! Thanks OMG for the lead on the goggles.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #605
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Looks like they got through the Cabot trail and visited Meat Cove.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...cnYPqDkvdNtubx
Old 07-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #606
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
Is there a need to bring Canadian currency?
When I went to BC, YT and Toronto, there really wasn't a need.
You can use a credit card or US dollars (for a 1:1 conversion), which is less expensive when you factor in exchange rate fees.....
Just curious if the more remote gas stations out there work that way. They did in the Yukon.

Thx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluenoseGuy View Post
Credit and debit cards will work. I dont think US cash is commonly accepted in Newfoundland and Labrador. I haven't seen US currency used here in the Maritimes and didn't see anyone using it on the TLH a couple weeks ago. I would do as I do when traveling south of the border - grab local currency when you need it at an ATM.
I would have to go with what Bluenose said. When I am in another country I do my best to understand and use their currency unless I am right on the border. Its bad enough when I don't speak the native language unless they speak English. I usually just stop by the local ATM and pick up a few hundred as soon as possible just in case I am in some remote location and they don't accept credit cards.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:35 AM   #607
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
I would have to go with what Bluenose said. When I am in another country I do my best to understand and use their currency unless I am right on the border. Its bad enough when I don't speak the native language unless they speak English. I usually just stop by the local ATM and pick up a few hundred as soon as possible just in case I am in some remote location and they don't accept credit cards.
i haven't been anywhere in canada that didn't routinely accept USD, including areas off the normal tourist routes. if you pass USD for a few days, you end up with a pocket full of canadian currency anyway. i have run into a few places that did not take credit cards, either through choice or some technical glitch that particular day. would be inconvenient if you didn't have cash and needed fuel.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #608
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
I got my goggles in tonight and they work with the Hornet!

be interesting to hear how the combo works out. might help with this...

group can't be bunched riding into this stuff, zero visibility. once in, can't stop either.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #609
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
I got my goggles in tonight and they work with the Hornet!
Went for a little ride today with the Hornet and goggles...the combo worked reasonable well except when I closed the shield. It seems that it gets a little tight and squeeze's my nostrils almost closed. It does provide lots of air flow and keeps stuff out of my eyes better than sunglasses. I ordered the tinted lenses as well and will be swapping them out later today. Coming across the bridge about burned my eyes out due to all the light being reflected off the water and concrete roadway.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #610
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,294
Bruce,
do you still have the link for the goggles?

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #611
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,386
Quote:
It does provide lots of air flow and keeps stuff out of my eyes better than sunglasses. I ordered the tinted lenses as well and will be swapping them out later today.
I always wore glasses under my goggles, I am rethinking that now. My shiner is caused by my goggles being pressed against my glasses and they pressed against my cheek. I don't know if I would have a shiner if I was not wearing glasses. I have been looking for a polarized set of goggles, I have not found them yet.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #612
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
A lot of people have recommended the goggles+ds helmet configuration for the TLH.

Right now, there's a slick deal on
Oakley Crowbar MX Goggles
$27.99 + $7 shipping
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3045153

These googles fit under the shoei hornet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Bruce,
do you still have the link for the goggles?
Here you go and they have many different lens configurations.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #613
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
be interesting to hear how the combo works out. might help with this...

group can't be bunched riding into this stuff, zero visibility. once in, can't stop either.
My plan right now is since 3 of us have Scala coms is that the first person gets through and then talks the rest through, letting them know if there is any vehicles, heavy gravel patches, or anything else which may potentially cause them a problem. Oh and I have no intentions of bunching up and eating dirt and dust all day long. Thanks for the information and picture of the dust cloud....that really puts it in perspective.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #614
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Thanks for the information and picture of the dust cloud....that really puts it in perspective.
it's quite an experience to see that thing coming at you, closing speed at 100+mph.

the flip side is no matter what speed you find comfortable running, those same trucks will run up behind you and want to pass. again, zero visibility, except now you're moving the same direction as the dust. you can see in the photo that i was riding a hard packed line where the aggregate had been worn off. if the truck moves you off your line, or you lose it because you can't see the road...into the marbles, could get interesting fast.

vehicles or trucks coming up behind me at high speed were the ones that bothered me. mirrors clear one second, a vehicle passing at your elbow the next. bikes are by far the slowest out there, same as on any of the northern gravel.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #615
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Start of equipment check out

As the departure date nears and I start checking out gear and doing my maintenance the plan is to post pictures and note any problems found. This not only for me, but to help others in their checkout/preps for the trip as well. Feel free to post you prep pictures.

So this morning we decided to set the tent up to make sure it is complete and functional. The entire tent and support equipment goes in one of those side zip Aerostich bags which then gets strapped to the top of on of my side panniers.
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-waterproof-side-zip-bags.html

The dog, named Wolfgang because he is German, decided to have little fun as we were setting things up....at least he didn't piss on it!

I am 99% sure the Kelty won't be going along but it was a good opportunity to set things up, seems like it would keep the tent cooler in the summer though.

We are also taking a one day free off road training class from RawHyde soon so we decided to put Dana's Heidi K60's back on, this is what one looks like with about 6500 miles on it. We also found what appears to be a rear wheel bearing in not so good condition, that will be getting replaced soon.

I will be putting some maintenance pictures on later tonight.